Sign in with
Your question

Water or air for ocing?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2012 2:41:57 AM

Should i get water cooling or a heatsink to over clock my cpu also if air what heatsink and if water what water cooling system should i use?

More about : water air ocing

February 24, 2012 4:00:43 AM

only you can make the decision, what next, should i stand or sit too take a leak?
February 24, 2012 4:17:45 AM

senpepe said:
Should i get water cooling or a heatsink to over clock my cpu also if air what heatsink and if water what water cooling system should i use?

As someone who has done both I can try to guide you.

If you are not going to run a built in sli/crossfire card (ex: radeon 6990) then you probably do not need water cooling. I have my 2600k at 5.0ghz and 6990 on a custom watercooling loop at the moment and they are always staying cool. But I assure you, if I had a standard videocard I would've never even considered watercooling, but I wanted to avoid the high temperature and fan volume of the 6990.

How far are you planning on taking an overclock? If its not too high then I would say to just go air or use the corsair h series with its closed loop that eliminates most hassles and provided great cooling. Even most air cooling solutions are comparable these days.

FYI if you wanted to see it... My build:
Fuyutsuki v1/

The pictures are a little old since I moved the videocard into a faster slot and redid a lot. But you can at least see the parts I used .

Watercooling Stats:
Radiator: Black Ice® SR1 240
Radiator Fans: 2 Coolink SWiF2-1201’s
Water Pump: Performance-PCs Über 655 – LITE
CPU Water Block: EK-Supreme HF High Flow
Videocard Water Block: EK Waterblock 6990
Tubing: 15ft Tygon 3603 3/8″ ID (5/8″ OD) Clear
Reservoir: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 250 ml UV Blue w/ a Cold Cathode Inverted Kit
Barbs: 10 of the Enzotech High Flow Barbs
Y Fittings: Polypropylene “Y” Fitting x2
Adapter: Bitspower G1/4″ Anti-Cyclone
Fitting: Bitspower G1/4″ Stop
Coolant: Feser One UV Blue
Heatshrink: 3/8 inch x 10 feet
Sleeving: 35feet
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 4:37:09 AM

Quote:
popular air cooler is the hyper 212, water cooling the corsair h series are popular, however, imo i think a custom water loop is much better than the h series

I agree but then he has to set up the kit himself and do maintenance so I would recommend the H100 for the best cooler that doesn't require any maintenance. I would add a set of Silverstone AP fans to it for more performance.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 24, 2012 3:31:40 PM

I ran my watercooling loop once for 2+ years and never had any problems; watercooling for 9+ years or so.

There is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to people telling other people about watercooling when they don't know for a fact, themselves.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2012 3:49:07 PM

Closed loop water coolers, like the H100, are a waste of money. They offer very little over good air coolers, but at double the cost.

If you want to use water cooling, do it right and build it yourself. It will cost $200-$300 for an entry level loop, but you get what you pay for.

Unless you're looking for an insane overclock, or are trying to eliminate noise, just get an air cooler.
February 24, 2012 4:23:32 PM

I do quite a bit of over clocking with my aging i7-980x and I found the Corsair H70 gave me a good price for performance. If you are planning on heavy duty overclocking by all means school yourself up on liquid cooling. There are some rather nice pre-built liquid cooling systems out there. Thermaltake had the Bigwater system on the market last time I checked and it was at a reasonable price. The most important thing to consider with liquid cooling is what components are you going to be cooling. IF you are just looking to cool the CPU then you will run into limitations and may as well stick with a closed loop system or air cooling. If you are going all out (CPU RAM Northbridge VGAs and more) the liquid cooling system will provide shocking differances in thermal levels. I would recommend strting your journey into the realm of overclocking like most of us did, on air cooling. Once you get the hang of it and know the ins and outs of the process then consider moving up to more exotic forms of cooling. A nice Air cooler to start overclocking with would be the Zalman CNPS 9700 or something in its family. A tip to remember, there are components around the CPU that are normally cooled by your stock air coolers that don't get cooled by liquid coolers so have some plan in mind to cool them or risk turning your motherboard into a crispy cridder.
!