Case for LCS

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Cases
  • Thermaltake
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2012 2:58:37 AM

Well from what I've read on forums, my case (Thermaltake Chaser MK-1) has some top mounted rad issues with the motherboard, pretty unhappy when I read that because that was one of the reasons I bought to case -should have done some more research- though, I need someone(s) to confirm if this is true, if so, could you suggest a new case for WC'ing? Preferably one with a large window (one major flaw of my case; small window), I'm going to be cooling an i7 2600 and 2 Msi Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti's, so how many rads and what sizes would I need? Sorry, I'm fairly new to this :p 

PS: I've heard that the Coolermaster HAF X is one of the best out there, would it be ideal?

More about : case lcs

a c 311 K Overclocking
February 24, 2012 7:09:29 PM

I can't confirm that, but if you go with another case, here are some good options BUT all depends of your budget.

1) HAF X limited for radiators unless that you modded
2) CM 690 Advance II
3) Corsair Obsidian 800D
4) Lian-Li case (not all models)
5) Little Devils are great.

For that rig, CPU + 2xGPU I'd go with 2x360 radiators.
Score

Best solution

a c 205 K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 7:05:51 AM

+1 to Saint, and I'm 100% on his side, if you Watercool, more likely than not, you'll be modding as well to accomodate it,
theres a sticky that is very useful for newcomers,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265776-11-read-firs...
have a read and post back any particular questions you come up with,
I think some serious modding is needed for 2x360's in/on that case, but I can't really think of any mainstream case that will sit two 360's off the shelf :) 
Angle grinder time :) 
Moto
Related resources
February 25, 2012 9:49:09 AM

Oh ok, thanks guys :) 
Score
February 25, 2012 9:49:45 AM

Best answer selected by -Jackson.
Score
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 10:05:20 AM

No probs man, glad to help and thank you for B.a.
Moto
Score
February 25, 2012 10:53:32 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
No probs man, glad to help and thank you for B.a.
Moto

You're welcome! But also, what if I was to only cool the GPUs? Thanks.
Score
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 11:04:18 AM

You'd have to find out the tdp of your cards, then multiply by two obviously, allow a little headroom but the general caveat used to be one x 120 rad per block plus a 120
a 120 rad dissipates roughly 100-150w depending on rad quality, fan set up and flow
your cards (according to a quick google) produce 180w, (remember this is probably standard setting, clocked cards produce more heat obv.)
so you want enough rad for 360w plus headroom, and a 360 rad would cover that,
240+120/140 if space is an issue)
personally I like to over rad but its not necessary, as long as you calculate your tdp (standard or O/c) and have enough to dissipate that, you'll be fine,
rubix_1011 is a wise man as is 4Ryan6, maybe worth throwing another thread up and Pm'ing them for some extra help too
Moto
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 11:03:22 PM

You give me far too much credit, Moto. :) 
Score
February 26, 2012 3:54:56 AM

Alright, thanks a lot! :) 
Score
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 10:34:19 AM

I only give credit where its due bro, only where its due :) 
Moto
Score
February 28, 2012 8:07:13 AM

Hmm, 2x360's..Would only one be enough though?
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 1:37:20 PM

Quote:
I'm going to be cooling an i7 2600 and 2 Msi Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti's

This is the same setup I am currently running.

Yes, it is possible.

Bonus points if you can tell me why, though.
Score
February 28, 2012 6:31:20 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
I'm going to be cooling an i7 2600 and 2 Msi Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti's

This is the same setup I am currently running.

Yes, it is possible.

Bonus points if you can tell me why, though.

Well I'm most likely going to be buying the Obsidian 800D and although it IS possible to mod the case to accomodate a 2nd radiator, I probably don't have the tools to do it :(  . Also, if I run one radiator, I can save some money, since I'll be buying my parts online. Though, 2x360's can dissipate a lot more heat than what I currently have, depending on the one I buy..if I'm not mistaken.
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 6:39:11 PM

i7 2600 = 95w TDP
GTX 560 Ti = ~170w TDP (x2)

(170*2) + 95 = ~435w

Your typical 360 rad dissipates between 500-600 watts with 1500-1800 rpm fans.
Score
February 28, 2012 6:58:55 PM

rubix_1011 said:
i7 2600 = 95w TDP
GTX 560 Ti = ~170w TDP (x2)

(170*2) + 95 = ~435w

Your typical 360 rad dissipates between 500-600 watts with 1500-1800 rpm fans.

Yeah I read your thread and calculated my TDP and saw that one radiator may be enough, is it a good idea though? Also, suggestions on radiators and thoughts on coolermaster sickleflow fans + Silverstone AP fans in push & pull would be appreciated. Thanks :) 
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 7:13:45 PM

Don't necessarily need push/pull unless you absolutely want to. Choices on radiators are kind of up to you, so it depends on LxWxH as to where you can mount them, what fans you'll want to use, etc. I only run push fans on my MCR320's, but they are Scythe Ultra Kaze's all on a fan controller.

Most of this is really preference...you'll want to start by choosing a radiator that suits your needs. XSPC EX or RX rads are pretty good for the money, or you can go better, but it will obviously cost you.
Score
February 28, 2012 7:18:07 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Don't necessarily need push/pull unless you absolutely want to. Choices on radiators are kind of up to you, so it depends on LxWxH as to where you can mount them, what fans you'll want to use, etc. I only run push fans on my MCR320's, but they are Scythe Ultra Kaze's all on a fan controller.

Most of this is really preference...you'll want to start by choosing a radiator that suits your needs. XSPC EX or RX rads are pretty good for the money, or you can go better, but it will obviously cost you.

Hmm, I'm willing to go a little over AU100$
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 7:31:03 PM

100 AUD - thas 107 USD. That'd put you inline with the RX360 dept.

any sight preference for shopping?
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 7:35:38 PM

Sounds like you have a good place to start your research. :) 
Score
February 28, 2012 8:07:30 PM

Lutfij said:
100 AUD - thas 107 USD. That'd put you inline with the RX360 dept.

any sight preference for shopping?

How do you mean?
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 8:18:57 PM

XSPC RX 360 rad would be in that price range.

What websites would you order from?
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 8:24:20 PM

^ Currency conversion helps put different monetary values into localized perspective for clarity.
Score
February 28, 2012 8:31:44 PM

What I meant was, how do you mean "sight preference?"
I'm well aware of the currency conversions :lol: 
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 8:33:24 PM

website :)  i.e: amazon, frozencpu - or any american online retailers...or aquatuning

hmmm had a typo on that first post :/  , but rubix cleared that up as well on the following post...
Score
February 28, 2012 8:46:40 PM

Yeah I'll be buying from an E-tailer seeing as how I would not be able to buy this from retail stores here in Australia. Which would you suggest?
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 8:54:02 PM

some parts over at frozen are cheap while others are cheaper on aquatuning.

i actually bought a lot of stuff for my wc build - mixx+match of stuff from:
aquatuning
performance pcs
frozencpu
and koolertek

was time consuming but i shaved off nearly $50 give or take...(maybe more)

* have you decided on what to look for?
Score
February 28, 2012 9:56:30 PM

Lutfij said:
some parts over at frozen are cheap while others are cheaper on aquatuning.

i actually bought a lot of stuff for my wc build - mixx+match of stuff from:
aquatuning
performance pcs
frozencpu
and koolertek

was time consuming but i shaved off nearly $50 give or take...(maybe more)

* have you decided on what to look for?

Ah ok. Specifically? No. But I know what things to look for, I'll likely be buying my blocks from EK, unless there are better blocks out there? And I would rather be buying from only one E-tailer due to shipping costs; I live in Australia. (Needless to say)
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:46:19 AM

research reviews and the wallet will help steer you to the blocks ideas. If you want the performance but don't care about the price - get the EK CPU blocks - but mind you get the copper or stay away from the EN plated edition. They have corrosion issues, i even spoke to tech support from EK and is posted on Rubix's sticky thanks to him.

if better = price performance ratio , the raystorm is the winner

* i know some of the sites i mentioned don't ship the parts together when you check out. so shipping will add up eventually.

as long as you're not going to get Aquacomputer airplex rads, then aquatuning is a good site(the AMS actually cost more after checkout since they are flown in from the EU and then delivered in the states or any other location, which'll add 8% vat tot the cost of rad)

one stop shop - frozencpu
a lil hassle with finding stuff but good with prices - performance pc's (they offered the cheapest blocks)

a 2nd word of caution, if you are going for an all EK block look - make sure you are going to get cooling liquid and not use silver kill coil+distilled water combo+Cu2So4 solution as this will literally eat away at the very thin layer of plating on the EK blocks. Just do a google of - "EK nickel plating issue" the pictures themselves will make you puke.

* i would've gone with the EK+coolant route but then again the cost would've shot up
** for this very reason i left the EK blocks off my list.
*** besides, distilled/pure water is the best performer

sorry for all this jabbering. I should be more like Rubix and be to the point :) 
Score
February 29, 2012 1:46:36 AM

Lutfij said:
research reviews and the wallet will help steer you to the blocks ideas. If you want the performance but don't care about the price - get the EK CPU blocks - but mind you get the copper or stay away from the EN plated edition. They have corrosion issues, i even spoke to tech support from EK and is posted on Rubix's sticky thanks to him.

if better = price performance ratio , the raystorm is the winner

* i know some of the sites i mentioned don't ship the parts together when you check out. so shipping will add up eventually.

as long as you're not going to get Aquacomputer airplex rads, then aquatuning is a good site(the AMS actually cost more after checkout since they are flown in from the EU and then delivered in the states or any other location, which'll add 8% vat tot the cost of rad)

one stop shop - frozencpu
a lil hassle with finding stuff but good with prices - performance pc's (they offered the cheapest blocks)

a 2nd word of caution, if you are going for an all EK block look - make sure you are going to get cooling liquid and not use silver kill coil+distilled water combo+Cu2So4 solution as this will literally eat away at the very thin layer of plating on the EK blocks. Just do a google of - "EK nickel plating issue" the pictures themselves will make you puke.

* i would've gone with the EK+coolant route but then again the cost would've shot up
** for this very reason i left the EK blocks off my list.
*** besides, distilled/pure water is the best performer

sorry for all this jabbering. I should be more like Rubix and be to the point :) 

Wow thanks. You just saved me a lot of money. I was actually planning to go 'silver kill coil+distilled water combo+Cu2So4 solution' with the EK blocks :S. I just need a block(s) with good performance, but I'm also going with a red+black theme for my case and I just wanted black colored blocks :(  Any black blocks out there I could use with the distilled water + killcoil? And it's fine, I'm still learning about this so extra info is much appreciated :p  Plus it's better to over-explain than to under-explain (erm, if that makes sense) xD

*About the blocks, does the corrosion also apply to the Acetal ones or just the Nickel ones?
Score
February 29, 2012 8:27:29 AM

Also, are the radiators from EK any good/are comparable to the said XSPC RX360? Because like said above, I don't want to have to spend a lot of money for shipping costs...
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 8:37:20 AM

oi! :lol:  rubix doesn't over explain he just keeps it simple and encourages members/newbies to google more and talk less :) 

while i on the other hand just spoil people with too much info :whistle: 

Quote:
I'm also going with a red+black theme for my case
use black/red tubing. look through the watercooling section and you'll find a thread for red tubing - teaches you how to color tubing :)  - oh wait it was you me thinks

black blocks?
heatkiller make some black hole edition blocks

Quote:
Any black blocks out there I could use with the distilled water + killcoil?
any block that is pure copper from top-bottom, not plated.

Heatkiller, EK and some other brands have this issue with the nickel plating corroding, regardless of whether/or not its EN plated.

keep it all copper, will be easier for you on the long run.

Quote:
About the blocks, does the corrosion also apply to the Acetal ones or just the Nickel ones?
if its full copper sans nickel and has a POM top...then you're fine. though google the block+issue with it and do some digging.

For sure i can say EK is bad. There's a thread for people with this problem and there is also a guy who'll plate it for you for real cheap+the finish is awesome on it.

Quote:
Also, are the radiators from EK any good/are comparable to the said XSPC RX360? Because like said above, I don't want to have to spend a lot of money for shipping costs...
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/02/22/360-radiator-sho... something to read up on... and do more googling O_O
Score
February 29, 2012 9:00:59 AM

Lutfij said:
oi! :lol:  rubix doesn't over explain he just keeps it simple and encourages members/newbies to google more and talk less :) 

while i on the other hand just spoil people with too much info :whistle: 

Quote:
I'm also going with a red+black theme for my case
use black/red tubing. look through the watercooling section and you'll find a thread for red tubing - teaches you how to color tubing :)  - oh wait it was you me thinks

black blocks?
heatkiller make some black hole edition blocks

Quote:
Any black blocks out there I could use with the distilled water + killcoil?
any block that is pure copper from top-bottom, not plated.

Heatkiller, EK and some other brands have this issue with the nickel plating corroding, regardless of whether/or not its EN plated.

keep it all copper, will be easier for you on the long run.

Quote:
About the blocks, does the corrosion also apply to the Acetal ones or just the Nickel ones?
if its full copper sans nickel and has a POM top...then you're fine. though google the block+issue with it and do some digging.

For sure i can say EK is bad. There's a thread for people with this problem and there is also a guy who'll plate it for you for real cheap+the finish is awesome on it.

Quote:
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/02/22/360-radiator-sho... something to read up on... and do more googling O_O

I never said rubix over-explained, I was merely stating that it was better to over-explain :lol: 

Hmm, needless to say, that includes my GPU blocks too.

I forgot about google..I feel like such an idiot. :sweat: 

Thanks again! ;) 
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 10:06:36 AM

we're here to help mate.

Quote:
Plus it's better to over-explain than to under-explain

should have said under explained,that was my typo in the successive post.

happy reading. Remember , a well thought out build will mean less time regretting and more time smirking.
Score
February 29, 2012 10:15:52 AM

Quote:
happy reading. Remember , a well thought out build will mean less time regretting and more time smirking.

Well said!
Score
a c 478 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 1:22:53 PM

Quote:
I should be more like Rubix and be to the point

I'm not much of a hand-holder...I'll point you in the right direction, but it really isn't going to click for you until you understand what you are doing, yourself. :) 

Google/other-search-engine-of-your-choice is always a great way to find what you are looking for, as well as a lot of surprises you weren't expecting to find.
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 1:28:51 PM

^ :lol: 
Quote:
as well as a lot of surprises you weren't expecting to find.
yeah thas how i stumbled on the AMS
Score
February 29, 2012 9:11:52 PM

Thanks! I was looking for a waterblock that looked like these :)  Sorry for what? You're the one helping me here :p 

Turns out the RX360s at pccasegear are $85, awesome. Thanks for giving me the site :p 
Score
March 3, 2012 9:45:27 AM

I can't seem to be able to find any universal VGA blocks out there for the MSI Twin Frozr II 560 ti that aren't nickel plated, (seeing as how you said that distilled water + killcoil corrodes the plating on blocks if I'm not mistaken).. Any suggestions?
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 10:03:49 AM

didn't notice you edited your prev post.
Quote:
You're the one helping me here
what did the rest do wrong :D  ?

Quote:
Thanks for giving me the site
your welcome mate

if you check out my sig's AMS you'll see what sort of stuff i've ordered for my WC build.

Quote:
Any suggestions?

i'll be saying this but take this with a table spoon of salt:
you could get the EKoolant's along with the nickel plating blocks and ditch the silver kill coil+distilled water route.

but there's another member here on Tom's goes by Jonathan, who has been running his nickels with distill+silver for a lil over 3 months - no corrosion but then again, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

if you've google EK nickel issue and arrived at a realraider site, than go slow and see the damage it goes through.

Heatkiller makes full cover blocks but they are pricey and are not in nickel flavor - me thinks.
Score
March 3, 2012 10:18:02 AM

Lutfij said:
didn't notice you edited your prev post.
Quote:
You're the one helping me here
what did the rest do wrong :D  ?

Quote:
Thanks for giving me the site
your welcome mate

if you check out my sig's AMS you'll see what sort of stuff i've ordered for my WC build.

Quote:
Any suggestions?

i'll be saying this but take this with a table spoon of salt:
you could get the EKoolant's along with the nickel plating blocks and ditch the silver kill coil+distilled water route.

but there's another member here on Tom's goes by Jonathan, who has been running his nickels with distill+silver for a lil over 3 months - no corrosion but then again, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

if you've google EK nickel issue and arrived at a realraider site, than go slow and see the damage it goes through.

Heatkiller makes full cover blocks but they are pricey and are not in nickel flavor - me thinks.

I kinda wanna stick with the distilled water + killcoil route because I'm worried about coolants gunking up, or so I've heard they gunk up at least. And the MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II cards aren't reference, which is why I'm looking for universals..

Haha, I read that the other day (The AMS) while I was looking through the forums, nice build you got there :p 
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 12:15:11 PM

Quote:
nice build you got there
nothings in contact with water yet, so i consider it a zombie unless the blocks arrive :p 

if you wanna stick to kill coil then go full copper - you know what? why don't you see if you can get a Hydro copper version from evga? their blocks are provided by swiftech(@ least the classified 580)

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/c357/list/p1/Liquid... is a list

one more thing to do is go ahead and contact individual vendors for thei opinion on a waterblock for your card. Another reason for me taking so long to get parts was cos i was in constant feedback with EK, swiftech and koolance(didn't hear from koolance :/  )

here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c311/s1396/list/p1/...
Score
March 3, 2012 12:27:11 PM

Sorry, but what do you mean by, "why don't you see if you can get a Hydro copper version from evga"? And by individual vendors you mean the ones that make the blocks right?
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:31:15 PM
March 3, 2012 1:50:13 PM

Already looked those up about 7 times today..hmm I'll probably have to go with the EK ones, since I have no idea how I would SLI the other..I've though about going full cover, but the costs of the cards + blocks is just too much, for me at least. Needless to say though, I'm not made of money :p 
Score
a c 89 K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 2:19:35 PM

:lol: 
Score
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest