Sign in with
Your question

Is there a comparable motherboard to the asus p6t series?

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2009 9:46:43 PM

With budget constraints coupled with the need for a state of the art, reliable, inexpensive model that will not need an upgrade in the next 5-7 years... I am tired of constantly upgrading.. any suggestions?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 249 V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 9:56:28 PM

Cut your upgrade timeframe in half. Every year, parts become better and cheaper. Get what you need now, but not much more. Plan on upgrading the weak parts on a continuing basis. Today, the only cpu upgrade on the horizon is the 6 core gulftown for X58 chipsets.
m
l
October 26, 2009 10:39:09 PM

"inexpensive model that will not need an upgrade in the next 5-7 years... I am tired of constantly upgrading.. any suggestions? "

lol you aren't serious...are you. not possible to future proof 5-7 years with "inexpensive model"

get the best bang for the buck mobo now and upgrade later when u need
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 10:49:41 PM

"Need for state of the art" means what?

You will be further alng the tech curve consistently if you get a good system every 3 years instead of trying to get a great system every 6 years. Rarely will any PC component remain "state of the art" for more than 3 years.
m
l
a c 102 Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 11:37:17 PM

dndhatcher said:
"Rarely will any PC component remain "state of the art" for more than 3 years.

I'd say if something remains SOTA for 3 months, it's a damn fine accomplishment in the PC industry. Certainly things like speakers and other peripherals do better but anything "inside the case" doesn't have much legs.

I am reminded of my younger days when my ears were better than they are now, I subscribed to a quarterly audiophile magazine called "The "Absolute Sound". Each issue they would have a page that listed their "SOTA" or "reference" system. Many audiophiles were soundly disappointed when they ran out to buy items of that list paying as much as $12,000 or higher on a single component, only to find next month that their new purchase had dropped several tiers .... in one case I remember, a component went from "SOTA" to "unlistenable" in just 6 months. I got my "15 minutes of fame" among our local group of audio nerds, when I started referring to the magazine as The Obsolete Sound".
m
l
November 3, 2009 2:02:04 AM

okay. so. let's say 3 years then... however. $129.00 for the motherboard then $269.99 for the CPU (Newegg, Tigerdirect).. not to mention casing, cooling fans, vid cards, ethernet cards, memory etc, etc.. am i just being old fashioned? (this means too CHEAP)? I really want a 64-bit ready machine. Intel is always more expensive than the AMD brands... :heink: 
m
l
a c 102 Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
November 4, 2009 12:43:51 AM

Moore's law stated that the number of transistors / performance doubles every 18 months. Over 3 years, the new machine will be 4 times as fast as the 3 year old one and that's assumoing you bought the $1,000 CPU and the $400 MoBo. At 6 years, that's 16 times as fast. My 1st PC build was in the mid 1980's....my 1st Wintel in 1993. Since then, the machine "you want" seems to always always costs $3,000. Comparing todays $3k PC w/ 1993's I can say that today, from a disposable income standpoint, we are getting a much better deal than we did back then.
m
l
November 14, 2009 1:53:36 AM

so, once again, i need to repost my original question. I did not ask for comments about the lifespan of the mobo...i asked if there is a comparable mobo/cpu that is almost as good as the p6t and lasts almost as long with almost the same functionality.. that is less EXPENSIVE.
m
l
!