Is there a comparable motherboard to the asus p6t series?

brandiwyne

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
With budget constraints coupled with the need for a state of the art, reliable, inexpensive model that will not need an upgrade in the next 5-7 years... I am tired of constantly upgrading.. any suggestions?

Cut your upgrade timeframe in half. Every year, parts become better and cheaper. Get what you need now, but not much more. Plan on upgrading the weak parts on a continuing basis. Today, the only cpu upgrade on the horizon is the 6 core gulftown for X58 chipsets.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
"inexpensive model that will not need an upgrade in the next 5-7 years... I am tired of constantly upgrading.. any suggestions? "

lol you aren't serious...are you. not possible to future proof 5-7 years with "inexpensive model"

get the best bang for the buck mobo now and upgrade later when u need

"Need for state of the art" means what?

You will be further alng the tech curve consistently if you get a good system every 3 years instead of trying to get a great system every 6 years. Rarely will any PC component remain "state of the art" for more than 3 years.

I'd say if something remains SOTA for 3 months, it's a damn fine accomplishment in the PC industry. Certainly things like speakers and other peripherals do better but anything "inside the case" doesn't have much legs.

I am reminded of my younger days when my ears were better than they are now, I subscribed to a quarterly audiophile magazine called "The "Absolute Sound". Each issue they would have a page that listed their "SOTA" or "reference" system. Many audiophiles were soundly disappointed when they ran out to buy items of that list paying as much as $12,000 or higher on a single component, only to find next month that their new purchase had dropped several tiers .... in one case I remember, a component went from "SOTA" to "unlistenable" in just 6 months. I got my "15 minutes of fame" among our local group of audio nerds, when I started referring to the magazine as The Obsolete Sound".

brandiwyne

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
okay. so. let's say 3 years then... however. $129.00 for the motherboard then $269.99 for the CPU (Newegg, Tigerdirect).. not to mention casing, cooling fans, vid cards, ethernet cards, memory etc, etc.. am i just being old fashioned? (this means too CHEAP)? I really want a 64-bit ready machine. Intel is always more expensive than the AMD brands... :heink:

Moore's law stated that the number of transistors / performance doubles every 18 months. Over 3 years, the new machine will be 4 times as fast as the 3 year old one and that's assumoing you bought the $1,000 CPU and the $400 MoBo. At 6 years, that's 16 times as fast. My 1st PC build was in the mid 1980's....my 1st Wintel in 1993. Since then, the machine "you want" seems to always always costs $3,000. Comparing todays $3k PC w/ 1993's I can say that today, from a disposable income standpoint, we are getting a much better deal than we did back then.

brandiwyne

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
so, once again, i need to repost my original question. I did not ask for comments about the lifespan of the mobo...i asked if there is a comparable mobo/cpu that is almost as good as the p6t and lasts almost as long with almost the same functionality.. that is less EXPENSIVE.