Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading Gateway LX6200

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2009 6:39:24 AM

Okay, to start I have a Gateway LX6200 and I have pretty low tech knowledge.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would like to upgrade the graphics card. Ideally I would like to play Dragon Age and maybe COD4:MW2 at medium - high settings. In order to get a better graphics card I'm pretty sure I would need a new power supply since the one I have is only 400W. I've also been told that I should upgrade my CPU, but really I have no clue.

Really, all I want is to play modern games at medium to high settings. So if that entails just getting a better graphics card I'll do that. If I have to get a new power supply/CPU I'm willing to do that too.

As far as prices go I'd like to not spend more than 200 on a graphics card. I'd be willing to spend around 100 on the CPU.

Thanks for your help!
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 5:22:18 PM

You could get a ATI 4670 without changing that power supply for about $80.00.
I would ask Gateway what processors are supported.
You might need a bios update.

m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2009 7:03:55 PM

The HD 4670 is a good option but I think you can safely take it a step or two higher.

If the PSU has a 6 pin PCI-e power connector, take a look at the HD 5770.

The PSU should still be able to handle that card.
Related resources
January 2, 2010 6:27:53 PM

evongugg said:
You could get a ATI 4670 without changing that power supply for about $80.00.
I would ask Gateway what processors are supported.
You might need a bios update.

My friend, asking Gateway (India) Support is a total waste of time AND money.

Ironically, I just received a response from their "support" last night on this very PC and subject, as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------

Response (Riyas) - 01/01/2010 12:46 AM
Dear XXXX XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Gateway.

I have verified your serial number and found that your computer is out of warranty (Nooooo kidding).

I understand that you would like to upgrade the settings of your computer (no, moron, the CPU....).

Please be informed that as per the Gateway policy we are unable to provide support for out of warranty products.

You may contact Answers by Gateway. Our representatives have advanced industry knowledge of all major brands and their merchandise so they are able to provide you with expertise when answering questions about those products.

You may call 1.800-237-6483 at a rate of $2.95 per minute (billed to a credit card). However, calling cards are also available in 30 minute, 90 minute, or 1 Year unlimited usage.

For further clarifications, kindly visit our website http://www.support.gateway.com/

Gateway appreciates your business with us. Have a nice day!

Happy New Year!

Respectfully,
Gateway Online Technical Support

--------------------------------

I would not insult the members of this thread and violate the rules by posting my response to this clueless clown.

Unlike HP and Dell, Gateway deliberately minimizes the amount of technical information on it's websites, and that includes processor upgrades.

I'm following an upgrade path that I found over on Newegg.com.

Jes2
m
l
!