Thinkpad R32 System Board Replacement Help

My 18 mo. old R32 is plagued by lockups and flaky DVD access. It also has
difficulty shutting down. A complete reformat/reinstall of the OS made no
difference, so I am now considering replacing the system board. I found a
vendor online with it for $500, and I get $50 back if I ship them back the
old one.

I've put desktop systems together but am a little intimidated about cracking
open the laptop. I found a hardware manual at IBM support, but it's not
very detailed.

Is this a no brainer not worth getting worked up about? Any opinions about
whether this will fix my problems.
6 answers Last reply
More about thinkpad system board replacement help

    Dave Morrell wrote:
    > My 18 mo. old R32 is plagued by lockups and flaky DVD access. It also has
    > difficulty shutting down. A complete reformat/reinstall of the OS made no
    > difference, so I am now considering replacing the system board. I found a
    > vendor online with it for $500, and I get $50 back if I ship them back the
    > old one.
    >
    > I've put desktop systems together but am a little intimidated about cracking
    > open the laptop. I found a hardware manual at IBM support, but it's not
    > very detailed.
    >
    > Is this a no brainer not worth getting worked up about? Any opinions about
    > whether this will fix my problems.

    Hi,
    B4 doing that, what sort of hardware/system diagnostics have you run?
    Tony

    Our company does flat rate board level repair for $295 and we provide
    a 6 month warranty. Please check us out before spending $500 on a new
    board.

    http://www.portablecomputer.com/repair/registration.asp

    I ran PC Doctor (IBM's diagnostic program). It showed no problems other
    than failing to access the CD/DVD drive.

    "Wesley" <wesleyf@portablecomputer.com> wrote in message
    > Our company does flat rate board level repair for $295 and we provide
    > a 6 month warranty. Please check us out before spending $500 on a new
    > board.
    >
    > http://www.portablecomputer.com/repair/registration.asp

    What turnaround could I expect?

    Dave,

    Did you ever get any resolution on this? I just bought a used R32 and
    no less than 24 hours after getting it I've screwed it up in a failed
    BIOS upgrade attempt. Did you go with portable computers? If so,
    how did it go? Or find better solution?

    Any help you can throw my way is much appreciated.

    Dan

    ==============

    "Dave Morrell" <nospamdmorrell@mail.com> wrote in message news:<2iu6pfFrh58uU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > "Wesley" <wesleyf@portablecomputer.com> wrote in message
    > > Our company does flat rate board level repair for $295 and we provide
    > > a 6 month warranty. Please check us out before spending $500 on a new
    > > board.
    > >
    > > http://www.portablecomputer.com/repair/registration.asp
    >
    > What turnaround could I expect?

    If you know how to put a dektop together from components, you can
    replace the system board on a thinkpad. I was nervous too, but the
    manual from IBM was enough for me. I don't know about R32 system
    boards, but I know there are boards for other laptops on eBay. You
    could try looking there and doing it yourself.

Laptops Thinkpad