Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Would a Power Color x1650 pro work on my pc?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 5, 2009 7:56:52 AM

So i am planning to buy a P-Color x1650 pro agp card to replace my "ancient" nvidia fx5500 256mb card. This so called "plan" of mine doesn't seem to work. I think i'm hesitating too much in buying the card. After hearing praises about it, the next thing i heard are stories about problems with its installation and at the end of the day, not getting the card to work at all.

So i am asking pc experts in this community whether the x1650 pro will run with these specs.

MS windows XP professional version 2002 SP2
AMD athlon 64 processor 3000+ (1.8 Ghz)
80GB hard drive
500w PSU (branded)
2gb ddr2 ram
nvidia fx5500 256mb

my mobo:
MSI K8T Neo2-F v2.0 Motherboard - VIA K8T800 Pro.

you can find more about my mobo's details here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

to be honest, I'm just 13. My knowledge about computer parts are limited. I was able to expand it with countless times of research in the internet but i guess it still wasn't enough. A year ago i didn't even know there were type of graphics cards (agp and pci-e). Hoping of your reply guys.

More about : power color x1650 pro work

Best solution

November 5, 2009 8:20:20 AM

Should not be a problem. The X1650 doesn't draw too much power. Rough guess w/o researching is about 50w - 60w.

Steps:

1. Boot into WinXP (Safe Mode is better, but not totally necessary)
2. Uninstall nVidia drivers
3. Shut down PC
4. Disconnect power cord, disconnect video cable
5. Move it to a non-carpeted room if necessary
6. Ground yourself to discharge any static electricity
7. Open the case and gently remove FX5500 (bracket end is probably screwed to the case).
8. Install X1650 and securely screw in the bracket, attach video cable
9. Plug in power cable and boot PC
10. Install drivers

- End
November 5, 2009 9:26:31 AM

As the post above says, I can't imagine there being a problem with the X1650, certainly not with a 500Watt PSU.

I would be tempted to look around a bit more though. I don't know how much the X1650 is but there may be some more modern things around which might wipe the floor with it (though on on more modern games you'll have the CPU limiting things), I wouldn't spend a great deal on a new AGP card but you should be able to get a significant hike in 3D performance from what you have. There are some charts on here to give you som general ideas.

Might be worth posting the amperage details printed on your PSU.

I'm sure a few others will chime in with some AGP suggestions.

Karl
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:49:50 PM

jaguarskx said:
Should not be a problem. The X1650 doesn't draw too much power. Rough guess w/o researching is about 50w - 60w.

Steps:

1. Boot into WinXP (Safe Mode is better, but not totally necessary)
2. Uninstall nVidia drivers
3. Shut down PC
4. Disconnect power cord, disconnect video cable
5. Move it to a non-carpeted room if necessary
6. Ground yourself to discharge any static electricity
7. Open the case and gently remove FX5500 (bracket end is probably screwed to the case).
8. Install X1650 and securely screw in the bracket, attach video cable
9. Plug in power cable and boot PC
10. Install drivers

- End

we are talking about x1650 PRO card right? wait and how about the mobo? they say it didn't work with asrock ones, anyway even if mine wasn't, would it? should i worry about it the mobo compatibility? that's really my last question. just want to make sure.

m
l