Asus P7P55D deluxe, DIMM A2 and B2 not working

midnighyt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I've been searching for answers for a week now and have seen that this community will probably help me the most. I still don't see any resolution for my issue in these forums so I'll post my problem here and we'll see if I can get some clarity I may have missed.

http://www.web-gamble.pt/onshop/images/aaaaa.png
Image of the motherboard for reference.

Only the light blue slots are working for me (DIMM A1/B1). Anything in the BLACK RAM slots(DIMM A2/B2) it does not even let the PC POST, and the MemOK light will stay on. I can put a stick of RAM in each of the light blue slots and it works fine.

When all 8gb of OCZ ddr3 Platinum RAM are installed http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_platinum_edition
the PC recognize, POST, attempt to boot WIN7 (64bit) and give me the BSOD with a memory error.

I have flashed the BIOS and reset everything to defaults.

I appreciate any help!!!

midnighyt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Still searching, can't find any reason why 1 channel won't work. I'm not sure if I have to change any settings in the BIOS to get the rest of this RAM to boot with no BSOD...

I might exchange the motherboard this weekend and get something more reliable seeing how these p7p55d have a lot of posts about them.. If anyone can keep me from making the trip to microcenter feel free to enlighten me in case I'm doing something wrong.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

It's not terribly surprising that you can boot with 1 or 2 sticks in A1/B1, but have trouble when you don't put RAM in A1/B1 and instead put it in A2/B2. With 1 or 2 sticks of RAM you are supposed to put them in A1/B1.

Now, once you have more than 2 sticks of RAM you should be able to use 3 or 4 of the slots. However, sometimes you have to up some V or loosen the timings to get 4 sticks working. Have you tried both sets of RAM sticks? In other words, did you test sticks 1 & 2 in A1/B1, and did you test sticks 3 & 4 in A1/B1?

Have you tested 3 sticks?

midnighyt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, I have tested all sets of RAM, they all function in A1/B1, 3 sticks however do not function, no POST.

all 4 sticks, full post, boot up, shortly after boot and operating system loads, (sometimes I can log in) = BSOD

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The RAM you have is not ideal for a socket 1156 board (or 1366 for that matter). The latest Intel generation chips have a DRAM "absolute maximum" V spec of 1.65V. According to the link you provided, those RAM sticks are rated at 1.7V and appear to be rated at 1.8V to get them up to 1600 MHz.

If returning the RAM is an option, that might be the simplest route to take.

You could try loosening the timings and setting the V. For instance, set the memory multiplier to 10 (i.e., set the RAM frequency to 1333 MHz). Set the timings to 8-8-8-24 and the DRAM V to 1.65V. If that doesn't work, you could try slowly bumping up the QPI/Vtt (Integrated Memory Controller) V. The typical starting V is 1.1. Bump it up to 1.5. If that doesn't work, try bumping it up .1 at a time, or try 1.2 and if that works slowly decrease it until you find the point where you loose stability. The "absolute max" Vtt according to the Intel spec is 1.21V. http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322164.pdf