Your question

Which of these builds is better for $?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2009 10:42:59 PM

I have two builds, and I need to decide which is better.

Purchase date: sometime within a few weeks.
Sys usage: light gaming, browsing web, youtubing
Parts not required: dvd/drive, mouse/KB, monitor, speakers
Part perference: AMD/ATI, though I'll take anything else.
No overclocking.
Monitor res:19'' @ either 1280x1024 or 1024x768 (I do not notice the difference between these two resolutions whilst gaming, other than menus become smaller).

Versus.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Later I will be purchasing a higher-end video card, so ventilation is important. I do gaming in CS:S, so the integrated higher-end chip is a plus. My most consuming game is L4D, and most of the time my parents will be browsing the web, so the processor isn't important, but it needs to be decent. We collect many pictures and videos, so hard-drive space is good. The DVD-Drive will be imported from my old computer (IDE). Windows 7 is a great buy. The upgradeablility to Phenom II's and the PCI-E2.0 in the newegg build is great.

Can someone clarify; for my intended purposes, wouldn't 2GB of Dual-Channel RAM be better than 7GB of non?

New suggestions are always welcome, but I think that this is the best I can get for LESS THAN $400.

More about : builds

October 26, 2009 10:45:31 PM

Why not build close to equivalent of that refurbished for close to same price, the refurbished is better but only be cause its 100 dollars more expensive even if they do skimp on quality parts.
m
l
October 26, 2009 11:12:48 PM

That refurbished isnt even a Phenom II. I wouldnt touch it. Its an overpriced door-stop.

My concern about your newegg list is the raidmax case probably comes with a crappy power supply. You will have to replace the power supply when you get a real graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2009 8:12:02 AM

I might possibly get a 4670 to game on, but yes, I do plan on replacing the PSU at a later time.

Any other thoughts?
m
l
October 27, 2009 8:15:30 AM

Also, can someone clarify as to the 7GB of RAM vs 2GB of Dual-Channel?
m
l
October 27, 2009 1:08:46 PM

bump/
m
l
October 27, 2009 3:24:34 PM

shadow187 said:
Also, can someone clarify as to the 7GB of RAM vs 2GB of Dual-Channel?

7GB of RAM will be more powerful versus 2GB of RAM, with all things equal...

Running in Dual-Channel is more efficient when you are placing two or four RAM sticks on the Board... 1 - 3, 2 - 4 MOBO RAM slots. The Microcenter is running three 2GB sticks and one 1GB stick to make 7GB of RAM. It doesn't make any sense to me why you would do that but who knows. The major difference in your build and the refurb... is the better CPU & MOBO, which will make up the difference of 7GB compared to 2GB...IMO I would recommend looking to upgrading to 4GB of RAM at least if you are going to run Win7 64-bit, otherwise save a little cash and just get the 32-bit version.
m
l
October 27, 2009 3:33:12 PM

I'm staying with 64-bit so I can later upgrade to another 2GB of dual-channeled RAM. Without losing memory due to graphics memory.
@Tecmo; Wouldn't 2GB of dual-channel RAM be faster than the 7GB of single-channel, even thoug it can't hold as much?
@Tecmo; what decides the speed? I was looking at RPM, but is it the F1-F3 prefix?

Question; can I combine 2GB (2x 1gb) of dual-channel 800mhz and 2gb (2x1gb) of dual-channel 1066mhz?
m
l
October 27, 2009 3:47:58 PM

shadow187 said:
I'm staying with 64-bit so I can later upgrade to another 2GB of dual-channeled RAM. Without losing memory due to graphics memory.
@Tecmo; Wouldn't 2GB of dual-channel RAM be faster than the 7GB of single-channel, even thoug it can't hold as much?
@Tecmo; what decides the speed? I was looking at RPM, but is it the F1-F3 prefix?

Question; can I combine 2GB (2x 1gb) of dual-channel 800mhz and 2gb (2x1gb) of dual-channel 1066mhz?

7GB of RAM will be faster than 2GB of dual-channel, if all things are equal, which is not the case between your two systems. Having more RAM in single channel will be faster than less in dual-channel, to a point. I would say for example 2GB of dual-channel would be faster than 3GB of single channel.

Actually, the reason the F3 (newer one) is faster is the platter size. The F3 runs on one 500GB platter, where the F1 runs on three 250GB platters. Having one large platter is faster than three smaller ones. You have to do a little research or review reviews/benchmarks to find that type of information out.

You can combine 800mhz with 1066mhz but the memory will all run at the slowest speed and timings.. so the 1066 will run at the speeds of the 800.
m
l
October 27, 2009 3:48:52 PM

But all-in-all, the the newegg build is better?
m
l
October 27, 2009 3:54:16 PM

shadow187 said:

In my opinion... YES... :D 
m
l
October 27, 2009 3:58:13 PM

shadow187 said:

That microcenter refurbish is an outdated piece of junk. Dont even consider it. The old Phenom processor is horrible compared to the newer Phenom II or even Athlon II CPUs.
m
l
!