Sign in with
Your question

5770 & 5750 Real power&amp Requirements

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2009 8:50:03 AM

Hi guys.
If anyone is sure about 5770 &5750 in load and 100%stress power and specially amperage requirement Please Tell Us.
Thnx 4 your time & attention.
November 5, 2009 9:08:53 AM

Everywhere but guru3d . this detail is paucity unbelievable !!
Related resources
November 5, 2009 9:14:01 AM

guru3d is telling both of 5770 & 5750 require same amperage
How can It be?
there is something else my Pc isn't a high-end:
amd 4800+ .asus m2n-e _2*kingston 1gb 800mhz _hdd:wd 1tb without anything else.
so you think my pc with 5750 will require 40 amp on 12v?
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 1:35:44 PM

I don't think it will require 40Amps...

Max power consumed by it is around 108W.
So it will run properly even on a quality 400w PSU.
November 5, 2009 2:10:33 PM

yes a quality 400W PSU.
A quality 400W PSU like the antec earthwatt DOES have enough amp on the +12RAIL.
This was made by professional and reliable reviewers.... I think they might have taken into account the CPU but still, it will require around 40amps...
I trust guru3d...they are professionals... I think they made all the required tests...
Well even if you go check on ATI certified PSU for the HD5770, you will see that ALL the psu they refer do have 40AMPS on the +12....
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 2:16:55 PM

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_5750/28....
5750 85W in furmark
5770 112W in furmark
BUT
Quote:
Furmark Stability Test at 1280x1024, 0xAA. This results in a very high non-game power consumption that can typically be reached only with stress testing applications.

edit and just to make sure ppl understand it, 112W equals 9.33 amps @12V for the card itself... psu ratings depens on the rest of the system as well...
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 2:25:00 PM

bboynatural said:
yes a quality 400W PSU.
A quality 400W PSU like the antec earthwatt DOES have enough amp on the +12RAIL.
This was made by professional and reliable reviewers.... I think they might have taken into account the CPU but still, it will require around 40amps...
I trust guru3d...they are professionals... I think they made all the required tests...
Well even if you go check on ATI certified PSU for the HD5770, you will see that ALL the psu they refer do have 40AMPS on the +12....

This is the second time today Guru have been linked too and the second time they have been talking complete crap, the card dosent need 40 Amps at all. :pfff: 

Mactronix
November 5, 2009 2:28:30 PM

Yes anybody can assume that...
But give me any proofs...?
The card might not require EXACTLY 40 AMPS, but taking many other aspect in considerations, like the CPU who is also on the +12, you get around 40AMPS.
This is kind of, the SAFE zone. So basically your saying something, Im linking to something.

http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.htm...

The HD5770 isnt "listed" but it's around the same as a HD5850, both being 40NM

If you mind checking, you will see that all the listed PSU have 40AMPS, you might find a few 32 tho.
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 2:51:29 PM

bboynatural said:

As far as power consumption, more like a 4850 ( look at kari's link again ), meaning an ATI certified for 4850 crossfire psu would work.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=... Radeon™ HD 4850
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 2:53:32 PM

bboynatural said:
Yes anybody can assume that...
But give me any proofs...?
The card might not require EXACTLY 40 AMPS, but taking many other aspect in considerations, like the CPU who is also on the +12, you get around 40AMPS.
This is kind of, the SAFE zone. So basically your saying something, Im linking to something.

http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.htm...

If you mind checking, you will see that all the listed PSU have 40AMPS, you might find a few 32 tho.

I'm sorry but all you are going by is one review site which you trust but is in this case wrong. Go to some different sites i have and i tried 4 different review sites and they all agree with what techpowerup are saying in the link Kari gave us.
The 5770 is nothing like the same as the 5850 , The chip is completely different.

I know from years of experience that you just don't need that much power to run a card that uses around 110 Watts, that's around 9.2 Amps.
I have looked at certified power supplies for this card and the very first 500 watt unit i picked out has 34 Amps on the +12V rail.
All i see as required in the vast amount of reviews is a 450 Watt PSU with a 75watt PCIE connector.

Mactronix
November 5, 2009 3:02:38 PM

By personal experience, I can say that the AMP should not be taken lightly, and that if Guru3d recommend 40 AMPS (wich is again a SAFE zone, not the real requirement) and that ATI certified PSU is 34 (only the first one you picked.) there is a reason.

Ibougt a HD4850 and directly plugged it to my ultra 500W 28AMPS psu.
The results were HORRIBLE. 19FPS on assassin's creed.
Fps would drop from 60 to 30 in unreal tournament whenever I get into action or look far away.

I bought a 32Amps PSU like recommended from guru3d and I got magnificient results. My hd4850 suddenly had the usual reviews fps in any games.

Now of course this is my personal experience and I have no proof to it. But to the OP, you can risk believing whatever you want to, but get ready to buy another PSU. AT LEAST take a 32 or 34 amp, they don't cost quite that much. Just chek the antec earthwatt 650 or 500W.

Of course, this is my personal experience and I have no proof to it. :) 
But it's up to the OP, no one here will be able to prove it.

Also at mactronix... Can you please post those links...like I said, your only saying something witouth giving us anything to bite at... I posted a real link. Please post.
November 5, 2009 3:06:02 PM

I could also add the fact that EVERY REVIEW SITE have quite a good PSU, ranging from 850W to 1100W...
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 3:12:59 PM

The 400W Corsair CX400 has 30Amps on 12V rail...
That's a quality unit.
It can easily run 5770.

@bboynatural:
As Compared to some older cards like 4850 and GTS 250 the HD 5770 takes less power...
And those cards are trusted to run on a 400W PSU minimum.

@OP:
Corsair CX400 or equivalent PSU will provide sufficient power. Especially if you are on a budget I recommend that one.
Otherwise Get a VX450.

If you are still concerned that the 450w PSU will be bare minimum then Go with VX550 from Corsair.That will handle any single card config.

a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 3:14:34 PM

bboynatural said:
I could also add the fact that EVERY REVIEW SITE have quite a good PSU, ranging from 850W to 1100W...

That's bcuz they have those units rusting in the cupboard.
And they don't want any PSU bottleneck...After all that's for a review...
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 3:21:03 PM

bboynatural said:
By personal experience, I can say that the AMP should not be taken lightly, and that if Guru3d recommend 40 AMPS (wich is again a SAFE zone, not the real requirement) and that ATI certified PSU is 34 (only the first one you picked.) there is a reason.

Ibougt a HD4850 and directly plugged it to my ultra 500W 28AMPS psu.
The results were HORRIBLE. 19FPS on assassin's creed.
Fps would drop from 60 to 30 in unreal tournament whenever I get into action or look far away.

I bought a 32Amps PSU like recommended from guru3d and I got magnificient results. My hd4850 suddenly had the usual reviews fps in any games.

Now of course this is my personal experience and I have no proof to it. But to the OP, you can risk believing whatever you want to, but get ready to buy another PSU. AT LEAST take a 32 or 34 amp, they don't cost quite that much. Just chek the antec earthwatt 650 or 500W.

Of course, this is my personal experience and I have no proof to it. :) 
But it's up to the OP, no one here will be able to prove it.

Also at mactronix... Can you please post those links...like I said, your only saying something witouth giving us anything to bite at... I posted a real link. Please post.

Did you want any link specially ?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0...

Mactronix :) 
November 5, 2009 6:34:25 PM

This is the question:
Is it always true? wattage/voltage=amperage
I think not. because of this calculator:( ( http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php))
you can change the vga form an ati to a Nvidia . your power usage will increase but amperage will be less!!
I think the card's current draw depend on it's core frequency and power usage depend on Memory bandwidth . what is your Idea?
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 7:00:05 PM

When I bought my GTX260, I ran all the system with a 500W PSU, and the GPU manufacturer said that I needed a 550W PSU at least.
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 10:11:29 PM

grishnukh said:
This is the question:
Is it always true? wattage/voltage=amperage
I think not. because of this calculator

young and freedman says that calculator is in error. Though I must say that is one of the most thorough psu calculators I've seen. :o 
But it's getting too late to really tinker with that thing... maybe later.. zzzz
a c 365 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 10:53:36 PM

HD 5770 - 3DMark06 power consumption ~ 61.2w or 5.1a
HD 5770 - Furmark Stress Test ~ 81w or 6.75a

HD 5750 - 3DMark06 power consumption ~ 43.7w or 3.6a
HD 5750 - Furmark Stress Test ~ 60.6w or 5.05a

Source:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

Max power consumption under typical conditions will probably be between the above wattages. Furmark should represent max power consumption since it stress every single part of the GPU which is highly unlikely to happen in a game
a c 365 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 10:56:57 PM

^^^

The above watts and amps represents what the video card draws, not the entire system.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 12:00:02 AM

grishnukh said:
Hey guys lets have a look at:
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php
you think this calculator work correctly?

I use it ( the link is in my configuration )
Seems to be pretty close when compared with the highest wattage I've seen on my killawatt meter multiplied by the approximate efficiency of the psu at that load.
Also comes within 2 or 3% of the readings given by my Odin GT.
November 6, 2009 6:07:22 AM

jaguarskx said:
^^^

The above watts and amps represents what the video card draws, not the entire system.

How did you calculate the amperage?
Wattage/voltage=amperage?
Are you sure about it?
Is this a rule or basic in physic?
who can tell me?
PLz....
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 6:40:12 AM

Watts divided by Voltage = Amps

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 7:18:59 AM

Basic Physics Rule:
P=VI
Where P=Power
V=Voltage
I=Current

Learnt that in school:) 
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 8:12:10 AM

30 amps is plenty folks, nothing less tho
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 8:31:25 AM

Standards for me are, if using a standard setup, not too many HDDs etc, 100 watts usage from the gfx card requires 30 amps, anything more, add it up on the 12 volt rails against the draw plus a small amount for head room, or for 148 watt gfx draw, 35 amps
November 6, 2009 9:39:09 AM

shubham1401 said:
Basic Physics Rule:
P=VI
Where P=Power
V=Voltage
I=Current

Learnt that in school:) 

Everybody Please pay attention:
Finally I got it..

That rules is pretty correct
But what we know and we don't use is :
the power usage of a VGA card or CPU & ... is shared between 12v,5v,3.3v
I found out The core's frequence needs 12v and memory's frequence needs 3.3v and possibly more things that I don't know!!
this can explain why 5770 and/or 5750 with less power usage , need more amperage (on rail 12v)
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 10:19:22 AM

True, but having 30 amps for your 12 volt rails are plenty up to 100 watts for gfx, since cpus dont draw that much more then or now or in the future.
November 6, 2009 11:30:57 AM

Of course even with that issue , I am not realized 5770 and/or 5750 needs 8amps more than 4850 when uses less power than it.
do you think that is possible ?
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 11:36:55 AM

No, both the 5xxx cards use less power, not more.
Off the top iof my head, the 4850 draws around 108 watts, or there abouts, while the 5770 80? the 5750 70?
So 2 to 3 AMPs less not more
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 11:47:19 AM

grishnukh said:
Everybody Please pay attention:
Finally I got it..

That rules is pretty correct
But what we know and we don't use is :
the power usage of a VGA card or CPU & ... is shared between 12v,5v,3.3v
I found out The core's frequence needs 12v and memory's frequence needs 3.3v and possibly more things that I don't know!!
this can explain why 5770 and/or 5750 with less power usage , need more amperage (on rail 12v)

Btm line is this,
You asked a pretty basic question as far as most of us who have answered are concerned. Six of us have answered and told you this card dosent need the 40 Amps bboynatural is quoting it needs from Guru 3D. As JDJ said 30 Amps is plenty for a card that uses around 110 Watts and that leaves a bit for safety as well.

What are you trying to acheive here exactly anyway ? Do you just want to know if it will run ok on your PSU ? If so post the specs of the PSU and we will advise. Are you trying to decide which new PSU to buy ? If so say so and we will advise you. If you just want to get your head around whats what with a PSU then i sugest you listen to the majority and not take a single quote from a website that has to factor some safety margin in (same as the board makers do) so as not to end up with a raft of complaints because people had issues running too weak a power supply. There are other issues as well to consider and by upping the recomended requirements they are covering worst case scenario. If you have 4 or 5 HDDs and a heavily overclocked high end Quad CPU with a couple of DVD drives and 4 strips of Ram, then you are probably going to need a bigger PSU than if you have 1 HDD 1DVD drive and 2 strips of ram with a mid table C2D.

With what you have you wont need anything more than a Decent brand Corsair/ Antec/Seasonic, there are more, PSU with around 450 Watts and a single 6 pin PCIE connector. If you want to play safe and allow for upgrades then up that to a decent 550/600 Watt PSU with at least 2 6 Pin connectors.
Personally i use this (link top right ) for PSU finding http://www.corsair.com/products/vx/default.aspx

I enbtered your specs and got this http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/results.aspx?cpu_id=32...

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 12:37:13 PM

mactronix said:

What are you trying to acheive here exactly anyway ? Do you just want to know if it will run ok on your PSU ? If so post the specs of the PSU and we will advise. Are you trying to decide which new PSU to buy ? If so say so and we will advise you. If you just want to get your head around whats what with a PSU then i sugest you listen to the majority and not take a single quote from a website that has to factor some safety margin in (same as the board makers do) so as not to end up with a raft of complaints because people had issues running too weak a power supply.

COPY
November 6, 2009 6:19:15 PM

No i just want to gather what you know about the current and power usage of a hardware like VGA card.
It is important to everyone know about this more.
Personally I am NOT agree with guru3d but I don't have a testimony to prove it.
Please give us information...
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 7:34:45 PM

Well this is going to come across as big headed i guess but the thing is that i personally don't really care what the companies say as far as recommended specs for PSU's go because i make it my business to know what my system can and cant do.
Take this card for example. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-x...

If you go by what the makers say then this card needs a 450 watt PSU with 30 Amps on the +12V rail. Now going by the info i gathered from Xbit labs and other sites i could see what the actual power usage of the card was, and from that i knew that my PSU would power it because i knew what the actual power draw of my old card from using the same sites to find that out as well.
Now they said 450 and 30 Amps, well i have run this card on a generic 400watt PSU with a single 18Amp +12V rail, its still installed and running upstairs in my daughters PC, i guess its been running for about 2 years now.

Mactronix
November 7, 2009 1:22:34 AM

Nice One.
!