winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Building a new PC soon, and I need some suggestions...

Some Info:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: December

BUDGET RANGE: $2200-2800 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies/videos, surfing the web
Need all parts.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg, and I'm in the US.

PARTS PREFERENCES: A full tower case, 24"ish LCD and a i7 build

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Based on the monitor you suggest, probably around 1920x1080.

Thanks!

galta

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Awesome_name config is OK but I would do some changes:
- Corsair PSUs are far better
- For the case, Cooler Master 840 is my choice
- If you are a gamer, you get more for you money dropping the SSD and getting a second GPU.

thewightknight

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
(Keep in mind I'm no veteran, but I've done my bits of research, and these would be my suggestions.)
Processor: Intel i7-870 $550
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus III Formula $250
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 $115 x 2 = $230
Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD5870 $540
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB $75
Optical Drive: LG Black SATA Blu-ray Reader / DVD Burner $130
and/or
Plextor Black SATA DVD Burner $45
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W $200
Case: Cooler Master HAF932 $140

I'm not confident in making a statement on monitors, speakers, headsets, mice, or keyboards. Really it seems that you are usually just paying for better odds, and getting the same result. For all of these I, personally, suggest finding a local store and a good warranty. (Not helpful, I know, but that's all I can say.)

Anyway, what I chose to look at was an LGA 1156 build. You could go with an i7 LGA 1336, but the 1156 socket models have an advantage over the equivalent 1336's: better turbo-boost technology. When you're not multitasking heavily, you get extra power from the cores, meaning that the i7-870, for example, beats out the i7-940 consistently. However, there have been issues with the 1156 socket not connecting properly when you push it in. You have to be extra careful with it, especially if you are overclocking a lot. So I suggest the newer ones, specifically the i7-870 in your case, but along with that warning.
For motherboards I picked what seemed to come well recommended, along with having SLI/CF support in x8 x8 mode (not a big drop in power from the dual x16's that some more expensive and LGA 1336 boards can achieve), and plenty of other good stuff. It should be well within your price range, too.
For the power it gives, this is the best memory I could find review-wise. It's got a great CAS latency, and plenty of power to it, and at a fine price. On your budget, you might go ahead and get two orders for the more GB (or look for something else so you can get up to 16GB), but you can just as easily stick with 4GB, and put the extra money into something else. (This is the memory I hope to put in my new system soon enough, by the by.)
I suppose this comes down to opinion and longevity, but I suggest the XFX HD-5870. Cheaper than two 5850's, and nearly as good in a lot of cases, and with the bonus thought that you can get another at a later date to improve your graphics again when the time comes. I picked XFX because of recommendation, but I'm sure Sapphire is just as good.
On the hard drive, unless you feel you need 1TB, I suggest the WD Caviar Black 640GB. It preforms slightly better, reduces the cost, and likely has all the space you'll need. That comes down to you'r choice though, and the 1TB suggested before is not a bad one.
For your optical drive(s), my primary suggestion is the LG Blu-Ray reader and DVD-Burner combo. If blu-ray's take over, or you ever feel like using one, you're given that insurance. But, the one below it is great for a DVD-burner only (and a good deal less in cost). Of course, you could also get both and have the backup ready if you need it.
As far as Corsair power supplies go they are certainly good, and of them that one is great. It's pricey compared to some alternatives, but you get what you pay for: modular cables, energy efficiency, plenty of watts, and a good fan. On your budget, I'd say it's the best choice.
Lastly, that case is a bit of a personal thing, but I think it's beautiful. Full tower of course, very sturdy, and plenty of airflow. I'm sad that I'm not getting it. However, if you feel like saving a bit, you could do what I plan on doing and get this: http://tinyurl.com/ygv4rn2 . That offers you the above hard drive, and a case that's not much of a step down from the above case for just $100. It's not a full tower, but, as a friend pointed out to me, it's only got a 7% decrease in total volume. It's also got the ability to hold 7 fans (it comes with two), of course. It's what I'm getting, and you obviously don't need to on your budget, but it wouldn't be a bad buy, I don't think.
All in all that's a $2030-$2160 system. $600 or less should get you a fine mouse, keyboard, monitor, cables, and all that. If you want to reduce the price, though, I suggest first cutting out one of the sets of $115 memory. After that, you might drop down a processor level and get the i7-860, cutting away a bit more than $200. Then I'd say motherboard, power supply, or that case deal.
Anyway, them's my suggestions.

mike 06

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Jbakerlent

Thank you for taking the time to post your recommendations. I found the information very informative, and helpful. The information will help me with my build.

Its good to see people step up to help out other people.

Again thanks for the information.

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'm at work getting bored, so I'm going to configure a PC in your budget.

Processor: Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz ($280.00)
HSF: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 Liquid Cooling ($80.00)
Motherboard: EVGA E758 x58 ($285.00)
Chassis: Antec 1200 ($160.00)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series ($130.00)
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 6 GB 3 x 2 GB 1600MHz ($240.00)
HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB in RAID 0 (OS and games) + WD Caviar Black 1TB ($200.00)
Graphics: ATI HD 5870 ($380.00)
ODD: Any Blu-ray drive ($150.00)
Monitor: Hanns-G 28" HD Monitor with 3ms response time 1920x1200 ($310.00)
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 5.1 ($350.00)

Total works out to $2565.

Keyboard/mouse are very subjective and every person has his own favorites. This is what I use:

Microsoft Sidewinder x6 keyboard ($60.00)
Logitech MX 518 gaming grade optical mouse ($40.00)
Steelseries Qck mouse pad ($10.00)

jbakerlent

Distinguished
^ I'd still recommend the 860. The H50, although it does have it's advantages, is not better than the best air coolers (which are also cheaper). No on the dominators, get this instead
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

Why 2TB? I'd just get the two F3s. I wouldn't spend that much on speakers. Also, I'd consider adding a SSD given your budget. Finally, do you need an OS as well?

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
1)Corsair H50 performs pretty well compared to other air coolers at the sme price. Add a second fan to the radiator for $5, and you have the H50 performing better than all other air coolers, incl the Cooler master V10 which retails for a 100 bucks
(http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/6/ - last paragraph)

2) On the RAM, I guess the OCZ Platinum would be good too.

3) I added the extra 1TB HDD coz RAID 0 can be unreliable, and he wouldn't want to have his documents / pictures/ music / movies on an HDD that might fail.

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I'm probably going to use air cooling (Prolimatech Megahalems) and I don't need 2TB space.... But I like everything else you put - was similar to what I had in mind. Works for me!