Sign in with
Your question

Dual Xeon watercooled worked, now won't POST after changing "nothing"!

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2010 7:32:45 AM

I built a dual processor quad-core 2.00mhz harpertown xeon (e5405 cpu model) on a Tyan Tempest i5400XT (S5396) (the one without the SAS drives), 2x2gb hynix fb-dimm ddr2 533mhz with two d-tek processor waterblocks, two thermaltake RAM coolers, laing water pump, and 3x 120mm radiator with an old GeForce 7300 LE 256mb PCI-express (not sure on the mb) running with a 480W HIGH POWER ATX 12V power supply with "power watcher" wattage drive-bay LED readout. I know this isn't to spec because it calls for EPS 12V-spec but those were all really expensive and I don't believe any system uses more than that anyway. I bought a converter cable set that gave me a 20=>24 pin mobo connector and a 4 pin molex =>8pin mobo connector, and I made sure that the PSU had the right amperage per each value. Hard drive is the gutted inside of a Western Digital Passport 150gb usb external, which was actually SATA150 inside. [I ran out of money halfway through buying parts]. It's housed in an older Antec 6-5.25", "full" tower. I actually had to modify the case to get the 12x13" board in, but i did it.

I finally got it all working september 2008 with no leaks and it worked every day (well it was crashing every couple days, but I am attributing that to a couple old hard drives that were failing). I had 4 DVD burners and 4 hard drives, 2 processors going and it never reached 200 watts, btw! I took it down when I moved out of my apt in august 2009, finally put it back together a few weeks ago (december 2009) and it ran fine, except my "quick" disconnects on my custom-built drive rack, which also was what the reservoir, pump, and radiator with mounted fans were attached to were leaking water in a couple places. Nothing electronic got wet, as I have a drip tray made from a top of a rubbermaid container with the case and drive rack suspended above it. Leaks are inevitable at the beginning so I built that idea into my system.

I did run the computer since it was put back together for a small amount of time the one day, while it was dripping into the tray.
After I took off the "quick disconnects" and replaced them with one piece of tubing connected with hose clamps, the computer would not post. The fans are LED fans, and they would just flash on, and not even spin 90 degrees of one rotation, and there's a green LED on the motherboard to the left and between DIMM banks 6 & 7 when I hit the power button. This light stays on, and the "power watcher" continues to say 10 watts, as if it were off. The light only goes off if I hold the power button down for about 7 seconds (which is longer than a normal forced shutdown) or hit the power rocker switch on the power supply and wait 5 or so seconds. I have plugged the fans into the board on the cpu areas, unplugged the ram, and the video card, and this still happens. I have unplugged and plugged every connection to the motherboard, except I haven't tried the front panel connectors yet. This seems like a short somewhere, but I can't find it! I am at a loss. Once the other day it was "on" with the fans not on and such and I was moving around the wires and tubing by the 8-pin connector and it flashed on for maybe a HALF second, and then again for another HALF second, while continuing to manipulate wires. I haven't been able to duplicate this, and I figure I have something here since it stayed on longer than it would normally at this point. But I have plugged the adapter into different connectors and moved around every wire I can think of already to find the "bad" wire or connection, to no avail. I've never posted anything on the web to ask for help, but I think it's time.

This isn't my first computer I've built, but it's the most aggravating. The thing that gets me is the fact that it DID already work how it is set up, here, at this location. I did do the "paper clip test" to check my power supply, and it does come on and the fans do turn on too, which are connected to the motherboard. So apparently the system doesnt think it should be on. I don't remember if this green LED on the mobo was on during normal operation, but I believe it was. There are no beep codes and nothing comes on the screen.

This is on top of months of designing a ridiculous watercooling system, for a mobo that doesnt even overclock, I come to find out!

Thanks so much if you can help me at all!

Cheezin99 - Pulling out his hair
January 13, 2010 7:49:04 AM

My first thought (halfway through the article admittedly) was PSU. Maybe it's not supplying enough juice to boot. It could run fine with no load but crap out when everything's connected. It sounds like a sketchy setup you've got to begin with.

What Make/Model of PSU? it might have just worn itself out (I know there's a better way to word this, but it's too early!), especially running a server 24/7!
m
l
January 13, 2010 1:20:55 PM

mi1ez said:
My first thought (halfway through the article admittedly) was PSU. Maybe it's not supplying enough juice to boot. It could run fine with no load but crap out when everything's connected. It sounds like a sketchy setup you've got to begin with.

What Make/Model of PSU? it might have just worn itself out (I know there's a better way to word this, but it's too early!), especially running a server 24/7!

Agreed, also, 480W is cutting close.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2010 4:39:11 PM

mi1ez said:

The PSU is a High Power (That's the brand) PW-480-102 DF. Obviously the same oem manufacturer as one of the name brands, can't remember which.

PsychoSaysDie: I was under the impression that this board won't work with a single cpu installed. I will try first running the mobo outside of the case. Maybe I did burn up a chip. The water circuit was incomplete when I ran it here at this location. I thought I shut down windows correctly but maybe it crashed, I don't remember.
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:55:14 PM

That PSU is only rated to 480W PEAK, not constant. I reckon this is probably the problem.

40A on +5V and only 18A on +12V? Efficiency >65%

The more I read, the more i mistrust this unit!
m
l
January 13, 2010 8:24:56 PM

^ Agreed.

@OP: Get a QUALITY 650W unit such as a Corsair 650TX.

Quote:
for a mobo that doesnt even overclock, I come to find out!

Except for the Skulltrail and a few other boards there are virtually no 2P boards that have options for OCing. Server boards were never designed to be OCed.
m
l
January 15, 2010 1:14:44 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Agreed.

@OP: Get a QUALITY 650W unit such as a Corsair 650TX.

Quote:
for a mobo that doesnt even overclock, I come to find out!

Except for the Skulltrail and a few other boards there are virtually no 2P boards that have options for OCing. Server boards were never designed to be OCed.

Well, none of them except for the Skulltrail have BIOS options for overclocking. However, pin mods are 100% fair game on a LGA771 board. He could do the BSEL pin mod to bump the FSB from 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz, which would result in the CPUs running at a (relatively paltry) 2.40 GHz. The 5400 chipset runs FSBs stock up to 1600 MHz, so that would work perfectly. However, the BSEL pin mod really works best on chips with a higher multiplier and 6x is a pretty darn low multiplier. You'd need to buy pretty high-end Xeon 5400s for the BSEL mod to put the CPU at anywhere near a reasonable overclock, and those are currently about $1000+ each. I'd recommend that he sells the Supermicro board and gets himself a Skulltrail board if he wants to overclock.
m
l
January 15, 2010 2:29:47 PM

^ True that about pin mods. HOWEVER, you will probably also need a vmod too.

Also, like said there is suppose to be a EVGA 2P board out soon.
m
l
January 15, 2010 4:43:17 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ True that about pin mods. HOWEVER, you will probably also need a vmod too.

The BSEL mod is one pin mod, the VID mod is another. I would doubt he'd need a VCore mod to bump that Xeon from 2.00 GHz to 2.40 GHz.

Quote:
Also, like said there is suppose to be a EVGA 2P board out soon.

That would work well for Xeon 5500s, but I would suppose since he already has some Xeon 5400s and FB-DIMMs, he'd be better off just swapping out the Supermicro board for the Skulltrail unit.
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:50:34 PM

I've never seen a board that didn't overclock; so I figured all did I suppose. I think I'd have been way better off just getting a quad core 775 to start with. Now I am contemplating just a single i7 overclock and sell the parts and ram on ebay, after i get the rig working again. I will update my findings on this thread after I take the board out, unplug every connector and run outside the case over the weekend.
m
l
December 28, 2010 6:41:23 PM

Turns out the motherboard was fried. I bought a new one (Asus dsgc-dw) and plugged in the processors, ram, etc. and booted right up. My High Power 480W max ATX12V with EPS12V adapters work JUST FINE! The power readout is usually 90-110W anyway. Never over 200. Manufacturers just want you to THINK you need to upgrade, so you buy new models. Thanks everyone for your help!

=)
m
l
!