Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Recommendations for my Laptop?

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2011 10:50:00 PM

Hello, this will be my first time upgrading something in a laptop, so I'm very new to this. I'm looking to replace my damaged hard drive on my Gateway M series (not sure which model), I was able to find the model number for the current SATA hard drive through sudo lshw running Linux, in order to look up the drive to find its dimensions, which is: Height: 9.5 mm Length: 100.2 mm Width: 69.85 mm (I'm assuming I need to know this to make sure the next drive will fit?)

Anyways, if anyone could recommend some good/reliable/affordable drives that would be compatible I would greatly appreciate it! I don't need anything like a solid state drive, because I would like to keep the cost down, but at the same time I would rather spend a little extra for the 7200RPM over a 5400 and at least 250GB of storage.

Thanks in advance!
September 14, 2011 1:38:09 AM

Thanks for the links, found this one under "Compare Similar Items That Customers Also Browsed": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The price is nice and the dimensions are exactly the same as my current drive, except the length is 100.3 instead of 100.2, would it still fit? If it does, any reason why not to get it?

Thanks again.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 116 G Storage
September 14, 2011 1:42:58 AM

godswrath said:
Thanks for the links, found this one under "Compare Similar Items That Customers Also Browsed": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The price is nice and the dimensions are exactly the same as my current drive, except the length is 100.3 instead of 100.2, would it still fit? If it does, any reason why not to get it?

Thanks again.

I did not include Samsung laptop drives because I read some negative comments about them. As for the dims, they are fine. 0.1 mm is 4 thousands of an inch (the thickness of a sheet of paper) - 0.1 mm = 0.004"

Read the feedback and then decide.
September 14, 2011 2:02:17 AM

Thanks I'll definitely research a bit more before deciding
a b D Laptop
a c 116 G Storage
September 14, 2011 2:06:41 AM

godswrath said:
Thanks I'll definitely research a bit more before deciding

Research Samsung laptop drives (2.5"). Their desktop drives (3.5") are a different story and are considered good.
September 14, 2011 2:07:34 AM

Ubrales said:

Your laptop specs will confirm whether you can install a 500 GB or a 250 GB hard disk.

What are all the things I need to check to make sure a 500GB would work?
a b D Laptop
a c 116 G Storage
September 14, 2011 2:23:40 AM

godswrath said:
What are all the things I need to check to make sure a 500GB would work?

Motherboards have a max hard drive capacity. This will be stated in the specs. What this means is that the motherboard was tested with this capacity hard disk and functioned ok. It really does not mean that it will not work with hard disks of a slightly higher capacity.

I replaced 80 GB hard disks with 250 GB hard disks in 2 Dell Latitude laptops and both are functioning fine. In an older Dell Inspiron laptop I replaced the 40 GB hard disk with a 250 GB hard disk. Working fine. Others have used 320 GB hard disks without any problems. I am not positive about the 500 GB hard disk, but Gateway will be able to advise you whether it will work on your model of laptop.
September 14, 2011 3:11:53 AM

Thanks a lot Ubrales, I ended up getting the Seagate ST9500420AS you recommended, it was actually Amazon's "Deal of the Day" so I grabbed it for $50 flat.

Appreciate your help!

a b D Laptop
a c 116 G Storage
September 14, 2011 3:22:27 AM

godswrath said:
Thanks a lot Ubrales, I ended up getting the Seagate ST9500420AS you recommended, it was actually Amazon's "Deal of the Day" so I grabbed it for $50 flat.

Appreciate your help!

Nice!

Have fun installing the drive and re-installing the OS and other programs. A short-cut to doing this is 'cloning' the old hard disk onto the new hard disk. But that is a different topic. Let me know if you want to go that route. It will involve buying some 'cloning accessories'.

Installing the OS will be better because you will be starting out with a clean install. The Updates will take quite some time. So will installing the other programs. If you have MS Office on your laptop now, uninstall it first, before re-installing it on the new hard disk.
!