stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I have a Phenom ii x4 965BE asus m4a79xtd evo 2gb of ocz memory a wd 750gb black cavier win7 64-bit OS.
I have 2 problems with this pc. The first is that i have 2gb of ram and almost all the time it shows only one gb of ram and the other thing that is much more serius is that it frezzes just like this without any heavy load or any warning the picture is freezed and then i have to restart it and sometimes it happens when the window is loading at the start any ideas??

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I just had to do this with one of my machines. System would be sitting at the desktop and just freeze randomly until I set the proper voltage for my memory. I have OCZ memory in that machine and the bios originally had the voltage set to auto.

OCZ lists voltages at their site here. http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ddr3/ You can select your memory from the list or search for the part number. Your part number will be on the sticker on your ram. It should start with OCZ3...

If the ram is set correctly and this still happens check your event logs. Specifically your system logs. Look for any critical issues just prior to your system freezing.

AFAIK, updating the BIOS when the system is unstable still is risky. I've read several posts where people ran into serious issues when upgrading their BIOS and the system hung during the process.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
The risk exists even if you don't have any problem but the motherboard has CrashFree BIOS and with a dvd or memory stick you can load the bios back.

stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
i have use memtest with both and seperate ram chips with the first chip the pc freezes in few seconds with the ather chip is not freezing but there are in did some errors of some cells. i have update the bios already and now im raning the Hot CPU Tester Pro it needs some hours to complite it test everything the chipset the cpu memory gpu and hdd i m waiting to get back home to see. Everything is set to fefault no oc and the voltages are all set to auto

stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

realy?? i dint think about that thanx my friend i will try it also

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Ok Im sorry Tech 07 is an in house diagnostic disc we use here at my shop. I am unable to let it out. You can download a copy of MRI from a torrent. MRI is a diagnostic cd used by the GEEK SQUAD at Best (worst) Buy. MRI is a bundle of software exe's that the geek squad "agents" run on your comp to fix pretty much all software issues except for installs and restores.

It also has programs like Western Digital and Hitachi DFT's (Drive fitness tests) used to daignose hard drive errors. It contains other such programs to help diagnose hardware flaws on a bootable cpu.

Typically a "highly qualified agent" will put in the cd, it will autorun, they will click next, and walk away while the MRI system does everything for them.

This is one main reason why people complain that the guys behind the counter are useless. They are, for the most part. Most of the intelligent ones are supervisors, or double agents, you need not be certified to work behind the counter, but you need to be certified to be in charge, and to go out to houses.

That would be your problem. Like was mentioned above, you need to see what speed/timings/voltage your RAM is rated at and manually set those values in the BIOS. Many motherboards don't supply the RAM with enough voltage when using "Auto" settings which causes instability and freezing problems. You should also do an overnight run of Memtest86+ after you get the RAM speed/timings/voltage set correctly. Properly functioning RAM will get NO errors in Memtest86+.

stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

ok i have the specs i will check that to hope it work i dont realy care for the rams i just wanna make shure that is not a chipset or cpu problem

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Just FYI. Since I changed the voltage of my ram from auto to the specs listed on OCZ's site my system has been up for a week running 24 hours a day. Prior to that my system would freeze within 15 minutes of booting up.

This may not be your problem but it's a quick and easy thing to check and will help eliminate this as an issue if it does not have an affect on your system. Yes there may be other causes but I've had issues a few times with instability due to improperly set voltages with OCZ ram. When set to the voltage OCZ lists it works great but when not it can be very unstable.

stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
i have manualy set the voltage is a lot better but when i enter the second chip of ram is doing it but not as frequent as it use to...

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
How much voltage did you select? Maybe you should increase the voltage when you use 2 memories. Usually it's working fine with one stick because doesn't need much voltage but when you add the second one, you need to increase a bit the voltage.
Or the second one doesn't work properly.
Run memtest on both sticks separately and see the results.

stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
i set them to 1.8v 8cas i have already done this the one chip is much worst from the other it frezes at the moment the test starts the other one it will last for 5-20 minutes but still will freeze. darn it if i had an other compatible pc i will have tr it already and see if they are faulty=(