Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help with installing 2 OS on separate HDD's

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 19, 2012 11:21:31 AM

Hello Everyone!

Newbie here with some questions about adding another HDD.

I built my pc a few years back, and installed Windows XP-Pro as the OS. I would like to keep that as my main OS.

I would also like to purchase another HDD and install Windows 7 on it. It is my understanding that this set-up is fairly simple. Here are my questions:

1.- Should I disconnect the HDD/Windows XP and connect the new HDD and load Windows 7?

2.- Would I encounter any problems/conflicts between the 2-HDD's with using 1-mo-bo and such?

Maybe someone could assist me for this installation, as I would like to install it without leaving anything out that should have been done while installing it properly.

Thanks in advanced!!!

John G.
a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 4:39:38 PM

If you don't care about swapping drives or unplugging each one when you want to swap OS boots, you can unhook one drive, install 7 on the new one, and then do just unplug that one, plug in the original when you want to boot XP.

If you want them both available in a boot menu, hook up the second drive, run the 7 setup, select the second drive as the installation path.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 5:25:29 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you don't care about swapping drives or unplugging each one when you want to swap OS boots, you can unhook one drive, install 7 on the new one, and then do just unplug that one, plug in the original when you want to boot XP.

If you want them both available in a boot menu, hook up the second drive, run the 7 setup, select the second drive as the installation path.


Thanks for the reply!

I have xp on main HDD presently. I have another HDD on the way for delivery. When I get the new HDD, can't I just unplug the main HDD with windows xp already installed on it, then plug in new HDD and load windows 7 onto it?

I thought that after doing this, I could turn the pc off, then connect both HDD's with separate sata cables, and boot the pc up.

I am guess that after I would power up the pc, it would bring me to the choice of which HDD to boot from.

Please let me know if this way will be ok. I am not 100%, so, that is why I am posting here. ;) 

P.S. When you say to hook up the second HDD and run the windows 7 installation, Do I leave the first HDD hooked up?

Thanks again!

John
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 5:42:22 PM

If you install 7 on a single drive in the system, it will not create a boot option.

If you want a boot menu at startup, and you want to install 7 on the new drive, have them both hooked up, with XP as the primary drive (lowest on the SATA ports). Start the 7 setup, install it as a clean installation, on the new drive. Be careful not to select the XP drive or it will get formatted. Then you will get a boot menu.
Share
April 19, 2012 6:21:29 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you install 7 on a single drive in the system, it will not create a boot option.

If you want a boot menu at startup, and you want to install 7 on the new drive, have them both hooked up, with XP as the primary drive (lowest on the SATA ports). Start the 7 setup, install it as a clean installation, on the new drive. Be careful not to select the XP drive or it will get formatted. Then you will get a boot menu.



Thanks agian for that info!

I understand what you are saying up until the lowest on SATA ports. Maybe you can explain this to me where I can understand. I will post a link to the mo-bo I have, and perhaps you can point out which connections I should plug the 2-HDD's into.

Here is my mo-bo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I just opened the mo-bo manual, and there are 6-SATA plug-ins on the mo-bo. They read SATAII0 thru SATAII5. I believe that I used the SATAII1-for the HDD, and SATAII3-for my dvd-drive. At the time I built my pc, I was unaware that I should plug these drives into a certain numbered slot.

I am hoping that I could use SATAII0 for the new HDD.

Thank again!!! :sol: 

John G.
m
0
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 7:42:57 PM

Use Sata2 for the new drive, although sata0 should work, I like leaving the primary drive on the lowest sata port. Safer to avoid boot issues that way.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 7:59:15 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Use Sata2 for the new drive, although sata0 should work, I like leaving the primary drive on the lowest sata port. Safer to avoid boot issues that way.


Hello Hang-the-9,

By the sound of your username, you must like to play pool- :lol: 

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!!!

So in other words, I could plug my current HDD/with XP on SATAII0, the new HDD on SATAII1, and then plug the DVD-Drive on SATAII2? Would this be ok? Or should I just leave HDD/XP and dvd-drive where they are(sata1&3) and just plug the new HDD onto SATAII2?

Thanks again my friend! :wahoo: 

John G.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 8:00:12 PM

Best answer selected by GammaG.
m
0
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 9:11:09 PM

GammaG said:
Hello Hang-the-9,

By the sound of your username, you must like to play pool- :lol: 

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!!!

So in other words, I could plug my current HDD/with XP on SATAII0, the new HDD on SATAII1, and then plug the DVD-Drive on SATAII2? Would this be ok? Or should I just leave HDD/XP and dvd-drive where they are(sata1&3) and just plug the new HDD onto SATAII2?

Thanks again my friend! :wahoo: 

John G.


I would not even move the drive you have to sata0, it may not boot. Leave it as is, plug the new drive to sata 2, keep the optical drive on 3.

Yes, I do play pool, in a Masters league, my team finished with the best record but we have two of the top 3 players (me included :-) )
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 6:55:14 AM

GammaG said:
Hello Everyone!

Newbie here with some questions about adding another HDD.

I built my pc a few years back, and installed Windows XP-Pro as the OS. I would like to keep that as my main OS.

I would also like to purchase another HDD and install Windows 7 on it. It is my understanding that this set-up is fairly simple. Here are my questions:

1.- Should I disconnect the HDD/Windows XP and connect the new HDD and load Windows 7?

2.- Would I encounter any problems/conflicts between the 2-HDD's with using 1-mo-bo and such?

Maybe someone could assist me for this installation, as I would like to install it without leaving anything out that should have been done while installing it properly.

Thanks in advanced!!!

John G.





John


that kind of problem i encounter before. what do want on your pc are you wanted to have two OS. yes you can used for that
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 2:47:26 PM

Bernados said:
John


that kind of problem i encounter before. what do want on your pc are you wanted to have two OS. yes you can used for that


Hello Bernados,

Sorry for the delay! I was waiting to receive an email for my last response, but never got one. I just checked here to see if I did get a response and saw your reply.

Yes, I have another HDD that I wish to load Windows 7 on. I already have XP as my main OS. The main HDD is connected with SATAII on the mo-bo as SATAII1 and connector SATAII3 for my DVD-drive.

I was going to use the SATAII2 connector for the new HDD.

Hang-the-9 replied with using the lowest numbered SATAII connector for the main OS-HDD. In my case that would be SATAII0. But I have the main HDD in SATAII1. I guess that I can just leave the 2-drives where they are connected, and plug the new HDD into SATAII2.

He also mentioned that there was no need to disconnect the main HDD, but being careful not to select the XP drive or it will get formatted. I imagine the reason for not disconnecting the main HDD is so that it must recognize the 2-HDD as to being able to get a boot option menu.

Thanks for your concern!

John G.

m
0
l
April 22, 2012 3:38:13 PM

hang-the-9 said:
I would not even move the drive you have to sata0, it may not boot. Leave it as is, plug the new drive to sata 2, keep the optical drive on 3.

Yes, I do play pool, in a Masters league, my team finished with the best record but we have two of the top 3 players (me included :-) )


Sorry, but I am just reading your reply! I was waiting on an email for my last reponse, but apparently something must have happened.

I guess I should've checked here earlier- doohh

I will do what you recommended. I guess after I install the new HDD, the bios should detect this new drive.?

Is there any settings I should set in the bios for this new HDD?

By the way, Congradulations on your pool teams record finish! I play a little myself. I just don't have the time to play as I used to. :(  I really enjoy the game!!! Used to compete in local tournaments for money.

Thanks again!

John G.

m
0
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 23, 2012 2:27:01 PM

Don't need to change anything in the system. As long as all the SATA ports are enabled, it will see the drive. Just make sure you don't run the setup on the wrong drive.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:56:01 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Don't need to change anything in the system. As long as all the SATA ports are enabled, it will see the drive. Just make sure you don't run the setup on the wrong drive.


Hello again!

I installed windows 7 on the new HDD. Everything went good until I restarted it after it was finished.

I don't have the option in bios to choose windows 7. I tried following these instructions: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-ins...

Could not get the EASYBCD to work. I also went to Micro-Soft website to get answers, but they are a joke!

Any suggestions as to what I can do now to get this corrected.

Thanks again!

John G.
m
0
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 25, 2012 1:33:08 PM

Not sure how to set this up manually, it should have setup the boot.ini file properly to boot to both XP and 7, that link you have even shows the exact same thing, you just install it on the second drive, and it will boot to it.

It's not a boot order in the BIOS though, it comes from the boot.ini file that holds information about the two boot drives.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:39:31 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Not sure how to set this up manually, it should have setup the boot.ini file properly to boot to both XP and 7, that link you have even shows the exact same thing, you just install it on the second drive, and it will boot to it.

It's not a boot order in the BIOS though, it comes from the boot.ini file that holds information about the two boot drives.


Thanks again for your help!

I am over at another forum trying to resolve this issue! I believe that it will be something fixable.

I will post back here and let you know what happens.

John G.
m
0
l
!