Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to install an ssd with what I've got...

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2011 6:16:13 AM

Hey,

I just bought a Toshiba Portege R830-P70. I ordered a Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, a 2.0 USB HDD Enclosure, and I have Acronis True Image 2011. I do not have my Windows 7 discs. If someone could please give me a step by step tutorial on how to get the SSD in with no problems I'd appreciate it. Note: I'm not worried about cracking open the computer; it's the cloning, partitioning, BIOS (WTF is that?), etc....that I am concerned about. Someone said they'd do it for me for $100, but since I've spent just over a $1000 I want to be done. This will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

More about : install ssd

September 14, 2011 6:24:22 AM

You might want to see if it already has the OS loaded into it.

Otherwise, get a external enclosure and put your SSD into it and connect via eSata. I think those laptops have the old fashioned spinning drives.

Be prepared to purchase a OS to use the machine after you install it. Or just slap Linux or something similar into it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 324 G Storage
September 14, 2011 2:06:26 PM

In theory, you could attach the SSD to the notebook externally, as x Heavy wrote, and clone the current system drive to the SSD. Then replace the system drive with the SSD and see if it works. Connecting to your system can be as cheap as buying an SATA-to-USB cable and power supply, or as dear as getting an eSATA cardbus card for your PC. EDIT: Oh, you bought a USB enclosure and Acronis. Excellent tool; it will let you clone from your HDD to the SSD in the enclosure.

There are several issues with this. The largest are
o That the current installation may not be aligned on a 4K boundary (search the forums for an explanation)
o That you will have to change Windows settings to use the SSD correctly ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe... )
o That your controller may be set in IDE mode, in which case you need to do a pre-tweak that you can find here and then set the controller mode to AHCI
o That is may be illegal, since the license for the OS may be tied to the drive. In which case, you would have to purchase a Win7 retail copy, in which case you could do a clean re-install.

================================

Tutorial: Put SSD in enclosure. Install Acronis. Use Acronis to clone from HDD to SSD. Remove HDD carefully, in case you need to put it back. Install SSD. Boot to Win7.

Now address the technical issues in my bullet points above. If you choose to go this route, let us know if the SSD boots or not after the clone. We will provide more detailed help in either case.
Related resources
September 21, 2011 2:43:17 AM

Best answer selected by joemerrick.
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
September 21, 2011 12:51:12 PM

Did it work?
m
l
!