Using a graphics card and a Intel i7 Processor in a htpc

I’m helping a friend build a new HTPC and we are thinking of using an i7 processor. What were wondering about is the i7 has a built in GPU do we need a graphics card (the motherboards were looking at have a HDMI out on board) and if we decide to use a graphic card what happens with the GPU on the processor. Is it effectively shut down or does it work with the card or what.

Thank You
B. Budde
8 answers Last reply
More about using graphics card intel processor htpc
  1. i7 doesn't have gpu built in. Look for i3. The motherboard has to be with H55/57 chipset.
  2. hefox said:
    i7 doesn't have gpu built in. Look for i3. The motherboard has to be with H55/57 chipset.

+1.

none of the i7's have integrated graphics built in integrated graphics.

You'll need a core i3 or i5 6xx on a h55/57 platform.

To have a core i7, you'll need a graphic card with it.

For an HTPC, i think the core i7's would be way more power than what you need. If you list a budget, we could find parts for you that gives you the power you need, and saves you a lot money.
  3. My mistake it is the i5 processor and not the i7.

Thanks for the correct
  4. build the above system you will not be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. xtc28 said:
    build the above system you will not be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that cpu is a overkill for what he needs and I don't think is any point of spending so much for something that he doesn't need. Even i5 750 is too much.
  6. Awwwe man maybe so but ME personally..... I believe in overkill!!! MY PCs last longer!!!
  7. bbudde said:
    I’m helping a friend build a new HTPC and we are thinking of using an i7 processor. What were wondering about is the i7 has a built in GPU do we need a graphics card (the motherboards were looking at have a HDMI out on board) and if we decide to use a graphic card what happens with the GPU on the processor. Is it effectively shut down or does it work with the card or what.

Thank You
    B. Budde

How much do you want to spend?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Graphics Cards Processors Product