Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New pc, looking to overclock "safely"

Last response: in Overclocking
February 25, 2012 9:47:11 AM

ok, so i am getting a new pc on tuesday, was a little restricted financially and here is what i ended up getting..

intel i5 2400 cpu
asrock z68 pro3gen3 mobo
gskill 4gb 1600 ram
gainward gtx560 non ti vga card

I am looking to overclock if it is worthwhile for my system. i have read that possibly my sytem wont gain a whole lot from overclocking? I am new to this, and any help would be greatly appreciated. so is overclocking worthwhile / necessary? i guess my other query is, is it a individual process, like can i overclock the graphics card without overclocking the mobo or cpu? and vice versa. cheers.

More about : overclock safely

February 25, 2012 10:19:26 AM

supposedly your cpu can be pushed towards 3.6ghz, which is fairly minor, but something.

Your thread is rather packed with questions. I will be brief because my leg hurts and most of this can be found with a google search.

You can overclock your g.card and your cpu, or just one of the two or neither. Pushing your cpu to overclock at 3.6 will not be dangerous. Overclocking both your gcard and cpu is recommended if you plan to see any noticable difference in gaming. Fully cranked out, your OC might only produce a couple more frames per second, but that is highly dependent on the software. For this reason we can not specifically tell you if your overclock will be "worth it", but at least you will learn something.

Overclocking often involves raising the stock voltage of hardware. This creates more heat and can be dangerous with insane overclocks. If you have adequate case ventilation this will not be an issue with a minor overclock.

if you need any help learning to oc your cpu just type a related query in google....that or youtube "how to overclock it 2400". Get back to us if you have any questions. ENJOY
Score
February 25, 2012 10:30:32 AM

yeah, cheers man, i have been googling like crazy for the last 3 days lol. i originally had a completely different pc ordered until i came on here 48 hours ago lol, so i am listening and trying to learn, but it is all a bit overwhelming, its like 1 piece of information goes in and another goes out lol. but i will definitely be back on here once i actually get the computer lol. thanks for your input.
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 1:28:15 PM

mick500 said:
ok, so i am getting a new pc on tuesday, was a little restricted financially and here is what i ended up getting..

intel i5 2400 cpu
asrock z68 pro3gen3 mobo
gskill 4gb 1600 ram

I am looking to overclock if it is worthwhile for my system. i have read that possibly my sytem wont gain a whole lot from overclocking? I am new to this, and any help would be greatly appreciated. so is overclocking worthwhile / necessary? i guess my other query is, is it a individual process, like can i overclock the graphics card without overclocking the mobo or cpu? and vice versa. cheers.

Wait a minute! You can't overclock an i5 2400 CPU, the CPU ratio multiplier is locked, you must have i5 2500K or i7 2600K and i7 2700K CPU.
Score
February 25, 2012 1:30:45 PM

but i can still overclock the graphics card right? cheers.
Score
February 25, 2012 2:27:39 PM

ugg, the last poster is just wrong. the k series does overclock much better, but you can oc the 2400 up to 3.8 I have read.

you can also easily overclock your graphics.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 6:22:03 PM

kyle382 said:
ugg, the last poster is just wrong. the k series does overclock much better, but you can oc the 2400 up to 3.8 I have read.

No you can't overclock the i5 2400 because the CPU ratio multiplier is locked. i5 2400 is not a "K" series, He can only overclock the GPU using an overclocking utility like "MSI Afterburner"
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 6:26:39 PM

mick500 said:
but i can still overclock the graphics card right? cheers.

Yes you can overclock the GPU using an averclocking utility like "MSI Afterburner" you can download it for free at MSI's website for free. But be careful with the adjustment because your PC might be unstable, just move a little bit and see if your PC will reboot normally. If your PC reboots normally then you are good.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 8:24:55 PM

Quote:
kyle382

This post is really misleading the OP. If you are going to make a claim of what the 2400 can OC to you should back it up with;

1. Personal experience with that CPU. or

2. A link to a review OC'n that CPU. or

3. A link to a poster who has a stable OC'd 2400 backed with CPU-Z validation, screen shot of Prime 95 running at that clock for at least 2 hours and 3DMark06 or Vantage benches. Yes there may actually be some one out there who has done this.

To mick500, technically you might be able to OC the 2400 (all 4 cores) to 31 X 105 = 3255MHz. (3.3GHz rounded off) But you better know what you are doing and be aware of the instability you are creating by raising the base clock of your PC!

This practise is highly inadviseable, thus why you do not see overclockers with any thing less than a 2500k ($35.00 more at Newegg) which has an unlocked mulitiplier allowing the base clock to stay at 100. There are those who will take the risk of raising their baseclock with this series CPU but it is not the norm.

The practise of raising the base clock was the norm with prior locked generation CPUs.

You can raise your Turb Boost multiplier but at the expense of potientailly having only 1 core being bumped up instead of 4. Which is why if you read the reviews for this CPU every one runs it at stock settings.

So aqe040466 is telling you what just about eveyone agrees to when it comes to OC'n this CPU.

By the way, that CPU, coupled with a high end GPU will play most games just about maxed out. So you really have not hurt yourself at this time. Can always upgrade later if you need that extra power. :sol: 

Score
February 25, 2012 9:10:29 PM

the truth is out there...dont believe the lies...
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 11:58:06 PM

kyle382 said:

THe truth is out there! I Don't believe what you are saying! I read one article that you can adjust Base clock but, you will be risking an instability of the system, why?, because when you raise the base clock, then you will automatically raise the voltage of the RAM which is dangerous to the memory module and it will also arise in the instability of the whole system.
That is why CPU overclockers is not accustomed to this kind of overclocking that would probably jeopardize the entire stability of the computer system.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 12:12:33 AM

kyle382 said:

"Overclocking both your gcard and cpu is recommended if you plan to see any noticable difference in gaming. Fully cranked out, your OC might only produce a couple more frames per second, but that is highly dependent on the software." Qoute and unqoute.

This statement is has no basis because increasing FRAPS in gaming does not depend on a software, it depends on the hardware(GPU), a high end GPU will yeild a higher FRAPS(frames per seconds) not the sofwate.

A low end GPU will yeild a low FRAPS not the software. Do your homework first before you state anything in this forum, it will mislead the newbies like you.
Score
February 26, 2012 1:06:00 AM

mick500 said:

intel i5 2400 cpu
asrock z68 pro3gen3 mobo
gskill 4gb 1600 ram

For most people overclocking isn't necessary. To browse the web, send email, watch video, and other basic tasks there really is no benefit. For games, overclocking can provide a bump that makes the game more playable or better looking (being able to turn up setting). As for whether to overclock the cpu or gpu it is best to look at what games you are playing. If you play games like bf3, skyrim (as of the newer driver), metro 2033, and others, then overclocking the gpu is better. Games like Starcraft are more cpu dependent. As for video rendering and computational purposes ask someone else.

You can overclock the gpu without overclocking the cpu. If you overclock the cpu, then it should overclock the ram.

Hope this is helpful.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 1:55:04 AM

demonicrotato said:
For most people overclocking isn't necessary. To browse the web, send email, watch video, and other basic tasks there really is no benefit. For games, overclocking can provide a bump that makes the game more playable or better looking (being able to turn up setting). As for whether to overclock the cpu or gpu it is best to look at what games you are playing. If you play games like bf3, skyrim (as of the newer driver), metro 2033, and others, then overclocking the gpu is better. Games like Starcraft are more cpu dependent. As for video rendering and computational purposes ask someone else.

You can overclock the gpu without overclocking the cpu. If you overclock the cpu, then it should overclock the ram.

Hope this is helpful.

If you overclock the cpu, then it should overclock the ram. :o 

To mick500, this thread is going down hill fast. Wait til you get your PC up and running and if you still have questions try again.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 1:55:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Arthurh
Score
!