Account unknown s-1 5-32 547 xp

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 19, 2012 3:30:10 PM

Hello,

So my computer crashed, not sure exactly why but i was able to remove the hard drive and attach it to another laptop running the same operating system windows xp.

The drive is recognized and i can access program files and pretty much every folder EXCEPT "Documents and Settings".

I followed the instructions for taking owneship of files and folders..and this appears to have been successful with all folders except D&S.

When i check other folders i can open..I notice that Administrators is listed first in Groups or User Names.
For D&S the first one listed is "acct. unknow s-1 5-32 547 .

The folder is 22 gb...

How do i get access to these files...much thanks

More about : account unknown 547

April 19, 2012 4:21:51 PM

That account is the one that had rights to the files on the old system. What happens when you try to take ownership or change rights on that folder?
m
l
April 19, 2012 4:58:53 PM

hang-the-9 said:
That account is the one that had rights to the files on the old system. What happens when you try to take ownership or change rights on that folder?

D&S on properties - security -advanced - Owner it shows my current login as Administrator. And Administrator has full privileges.

I just noticed that on the other folders unknown user does not have any privileges...but has special privilges (that box is grayed out) with a check in it.

Only difference i can find between the folders.

much thanks
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 19, 2012 5:02:23 PM

You did not answer the question though, what happens when you try to take owenership or change permissions on the folders? And make sure you select the option to apply it to all sub folders.
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:17:22 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You did not answer the question though, what happens when you try to take owenership or change permissions on the folders? And make sure you select the option to apply it to all sub folders.

i applied to all folders and sub folders..no problem

now on the D&S and other folders in general properties "hidden files" is checked.

i can change this on other folders but not D&S. i get message error

D&S/all users/ user.dmp
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:21:24 PM

Just skip that file and continue.
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:28:23 PM

ok..ignored that file. it was the only hangup.

however...once i completed applying attributes it still shows hidden checked on the properties tab. it is greyed..not a hard check

??
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:39:49 PM

That just means that not all files are hidden. Can you get to the files?
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:46:49 PM

nope... it shows 22gb in data but no folders or files. its attached to usb port...could it be that slow?

i can open prorams whic is 5gb real quick

m
l
April 19, 2012 5:56:47 PM

Turn on Show Hidden Files in the laptop. There is a virus that sets all user files to hidden, you may need to unckeck the hidden properties of that folder.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:08:28 PM

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:10:01 PM

NOW I JUST HAVE TO FIND THAT LITTLE BUGGER...WILL RUN MALWARE AND KILL HIM FOR ALL THIS FRUSTRATION!!

You guys are great...very much appreciate your time and assistance..
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:12:06 PM

Malwarebytes catches it every time I ran it. Happens a lot at work.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:14:09 PM

Running now...you have a nice weekend..now i can get some work done :) 
m
l
!