Account unknown s-1 5-32 547 xp

timaee

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hello,

So my computer crashed, not sure exactly why but i was able to remove the hard drive and attach it to another laptop running the same operating system windows xp.

The drive is recognized and i can access program files and pretty much every folder EXCEPT "Documents and Settings".

I followed the instructions for taking owneship of files and folders..and this appears to have been successful with all folders except D&S.

When i check other folders i can open..I notice that Administrators is listed first in Groups or User Names.
For D&S the first one listed is "acct. unknow s-1 5-32 547 .

The folder is 22 gb...

How do i get access to these files...much thanks

timaee

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

D&S on properties - security -advanced - Owner it shows my current login as Administrator. And Administrator has full privileges.

I just noticed that on the other folders unknown user does not have any privileges...but has special privilges (that box is grayed out) with a check in it.

Only difference i can find between the folders.

much thanks

timaee

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

i applied to all folders and sub folders..no problem

now on the D&S and other folders in general properties "hidden files" is checked.

i can change this on other folders but not D&S. i get message error

D&S/all users/ user.dmp

timaee

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
ok..ignored that file. it was the only hangup.

however...once i completed applying attributes it still shows hidden checked on the properties tab. it is greyed..not a hard check

??

timaee

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
NOW I JUST HAVE TO FIND THAT LITTLE ah heck...WILL RUN MALWARE AND KILL HIM FOR ALL THIS FRUSTRATION!!

You guys are great...very much appreciate your time and assistance..

TRENDING THREADS