Unlocking cores and cooling system

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hi everybody,

I have been lucky to unlock my Phenom II X2 550BE to X4 using a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P mobo.

Gigabyte is giving this warning on its web site:
Please apply sufficient cooling to CPU VRM zone when ACC function is enabled.

Does this mean that I have to do anything special to my cooling system?
Are they saying that the unlocked 550BE is different than other normal X4 CPU's and that is why it requires cooling to VRM zone?

P.S. I'm not doing any overclocking and I'm using the stock cooling system which came with the CPU.

Thanks in advance

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hi everybody,

I have been lucky to unlock my Phenom II X2 550BE to an X4 using a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P mobo through use of the bios ACC function. I have unlocked all 4 cores but I'm currently NOT doing any overclocking and I'm using the stock CPU fan which came with the CPU.

I'm a bit concerned about this warning on Gigabyte website:
Please apply sufficient cooling to CPU VRM zone when ACC function is enabled.

1- Does this mean that I have to change my CPU cooling system? Do they mean I have to use some sort of heatsink on the VRM zone, or a good CASE ventilation would suffice?

2- Are they implying that an unlocked phenom II will cause more heat in the VRM zone than a regular phenom II X4 CPU? According to Gigabyte, the mobo is supposed to support Phenom II X4 CPU's after all !

Thanks in advance

You don't have to do anything. I use coretemp, a free download, if you need accurate temp monitoring software. Your cores will fluctuate slightly in temps; some are warmer as they are doing all the work. The idle cores will run cooler. Max temp should be around 60c.

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

Hi o1die !

You are right. I ran Prime 95 and the core temperatures (through indirect measurement) were around 60 degrees indeed. But my concern is about the VRM zone ( I think the MOSFET's and the Capacitors beside the CPU) which the Gigabyte has also warns about. As you may know this particular mobo has no heatsink for that area. Would this pose a problem for general use and casual gaming?

Thanks

If you aren't overclocking, then you should be fine. Worst case is that someday your system won't post due to the unlocked core failing due to instability. Then you can switch back to three cores. If you have a retail boxed cpu, then you're covered by warranty for three years, just don't tell amd you've been running the disabled core. Really, considering what your whole system costs, I would just get a quad up front and not concern yourself with a disabled core. Most are disabled for a reason.

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
My AMD PII x 4 955 runs 39C at idle and I have managed to get it all the way up to 47C. readings as per Coretemp on standard cooling.
So you can see there is a difference between above Quad and a factory quad temps...

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Thank you all for all the good comments and advices.

Just to be on the safe side, I will purchase a better CPU fan and a VRM heatsink.

Cheers