Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gait Question

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 6, 2005 1:31:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have a Nation GSM plan and recently bought a SOny T62u Gait phone off
Ebay. Cingular activated the "Gait" plan for me (at apparently no additional
charge!) and the phone seems to work on the GSM system well.

I found out how to "force" the phone onto a TDMA system (*777*) and the
phone finds my local (Madison, WI) Cingular TDMA system, but doesn't allow
me to make/receive calls on it.

My question is: Does Cingular restrict use of the TDMA system since I am in
their GSM coverage area or did Cingular just activate the GSM portion of the
Gait phone?

I suppose I could take a drive out into the country where their GSM service
is non-existent and test my theory, but I'm hoping some out there might be
able to save me a trip!

Thanks!

More about : gait question

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:48:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Chad wrote:
> I have a Nation GSM plan and recently bought a SOny T62u Gait phone
> off Ebay. Cingular activated the "Gait" plan for me (at apparently no
> additional charge!) and the phone seems to work on the GSM system
> well.
>
> I found out how to "force" the phone onto a TDMA system (*777*) and
> the phone finds my local (Madison, WI) Cingular TDMA system, but
> doesn't allow me to make/receive calls on it.
>
> My question is: Does Cingular restrict use of the TDMA system since I
> am in their GSM coverage area or did Cingular just activate the GSM
> portion of the Gait phone?
>
> I suppose I could take a drive out into the country where their GSM
> service is non-existent and test my theory, but I'm hoping some out
> there might be able to save me a trip!
>
> Thanks!

The next time you're talking to CS, ask if an ESN is recorded on your
account (matching the T62u). Also find out if you have received a GAIT
SIM. Since you have a Nation GSM plan, I'd expect that you've received
the "GAIT option" (it will show that way on your bill, too).

John C.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Chad wrote (3/6/2005 11:31 AM):

>
> I found out how to "force" the phone onto a TDMA system (*777*)

CAVEAT: that *777* code is used for state police emergency calls in
many areas.

--
RJW
Related resources
March 6, 2005 9:51:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Did you get the white sim card with the phone ? The T62u will only work on
GSM without it.



"Chad" <en4rcer@excite.com> wrote in message
news:JnGWd.37283$Ji3.3165@fe06.lga...
>I have a Nation GSM plan and recently bought a SOny T62u Gait phone off
>Ebay. Cingular activated the "Gait" plan for me (at apparently no
>additional charge!) and the phone seems to work on the GSM system well.
>
> I found out how to "force" the phone onto a TDMA system (*777*) and the
> phone finds my local (Madison, WI) Cingular TDMA system, but doesn't allow
> me to make/receive calls on it.
>
> My question is: Does Cingular restrict use of the TDMA system since I am
> in their GSM coverage area or did Cingular just activate the GSM portion
> of the Gait phone?
>
> I suppose I could take a drive out into the country where their GSM
> service is non-existent and test my theory, but I'm hoping some out there
> might be able to save me a trip!
>
> Thanks!
>
March 6, 2005 9:51:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Tom wrote:

> Did you get the white sim card with the phone ? The T62u will only work on
> GSM without it.
>


That sure sounds bizarre...


--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
March 6, 2005 10:12:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Stopped into my local Corporate Cingular store today. Turns out they didn't
have the ESN recorded on the account. All is working now! Thanks for
everyone's input!

p.s. I am using the original 32K SIM that came with my GSM-only phone. All
they did is upload the Gait info on it (I guess). The Sim still works in my
GSM only phone too!

>
> The next time you're talking to CS, ask if an ESN is recorded on your
> account (matching the T62u). Also find out if you have received a GAIT
> SIM. Since you have a Nation GSM plan, I'd expect that you've received
> the "GAIT option" (it will show that way on your bill, too).
>
> John C.
>
>
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:07:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Chad" <en4rcer@excite.com> writes:
> Stopped into my local Corporate Cingular store today. Turns out they didn't
> have the ESN recorded on the account. All is working now! Thanks for
> everyone's input!
>
> p.s. I am using the original 32K SIM that came with my GSM-only phone. All
> they did is upload the Gait info on it (I guess). The Sim still works in my
> GSM only phone too!

There are evidently two flavors of GAIT network settings for a
Cingular account. GAIT-GSM and GAIT-TDMA. I learned this at my
cingular dealer recently when inquiring about a phone upgrade to a GSM
only handset but I still wanted to use my GAIT phone when travelling.

To accomplish this, they verified that the ESN of my GAIT phone was on
my account (it was of course since my GAIT phone had been working
fine--and TDMA won't work without an ESN registered), and they
switched me from GAIT-TDMA to GAIT-GSM.

As it was explained to me, the difference between these two accunt
settings is which network it uses first before hunting for something
else. I guess if you have a GSM only handset, perhaps things don't
work if you're profiled for GAIT-TDMA? I'm not sure.

Anyway, glad to hear you have your problem squared away. I thought I'd
add these tidbits about what I learned about GAIT for net.posterity.
:-) The GSM network uses the SIMM card for authentication, and TDMA
uses the ESN, which is why your phone wouldn't do TDMA until your ESN
was added to your account.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:43:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> There are evidently two flavors of GAIT network settings for a
> Cingular account. GAIT-GSM and GAIT-TDMA. I learned this at my
> cingular dealer recently when inquiring about a phone upgrade to a GSM
> only handset but I still wanted to use my GAIT phone when travelling.
>
> To accomplish this, they verified that the ESN of my GAIT phone was on
> my account (it was of course since my GAIT phone had been working
> fine--and TDMA won't work without an ESN registered), and they
> switched me from GAIT-TDMA to GAIT-GSM.

That sounds like what I was told, that there are two flavors of GAIT,
one adds "TDMA - GSM Interoperability" and the other adds "GSM - TDMA
Interoperabiltiy". Of course, the preceeding is the base plan. I had
always assumed it was the way that Cingular's billing system would
bridge with the other one.

> As it was explained to me, the difference between these two accunt
> settings is which network it uses first before hunting for something
> else. I guess if you have a GSM only handset, perhaps things don't
> work if you're profiled for GAIT-TDMA? I'm not sure.

It's not quite like that. I had a Nokia 6340i on a TDMA Preferred
Nation plan, and it would look for GSM first. When I switched to a Sony
Ericsson T62u, I had different options: TDMA Preferred, TDMA Only, GSM
Preferred, GSM Only, and Use SIM. When I went to Use SIM, it would also
look for GSM first. My SIM always worked in a GSM only phone. Of
course I'm not sure what official protocol is, but that was my experience.
!