HD Directivo Now?

My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one of the
Tivos.

I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites requiring a
different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the deal on
a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required or wait
to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this would be more
costly. Your opinions? What have others done?
24 answers Last reply
More about directivo

    I discussed this with DTV extensively before I bought my 250..they committed
    to updating my set to the MPEG-4 when they switch..
    So I feel good about this.. now for their commitment to networking the TiVo
    part..well that is wide open.

    "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
    > receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one of
    > the Tivos.
    >
    > I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
    > reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites requiring
    > a different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the
    > deal on a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required
    > or wait to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this
    > would be more costly. Your opinions? What have others done?

    "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
    > receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one of
    > the Tivos.
    >
    > I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
    > reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites requiring
    > a different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the
    > deal on a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required
    > or wait to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this
    > would be more costly. Your opinions? What have others done?

    I purchased the HR10-250 a few months ago for around $700, which was a good
    price at that time. Even though it will eventually be obsolete, the
    enjoyment I have gotten has made it well worth the price. I would much
    rather have bought it when I did, at the higher price, than have waited
    until now and saved money. If you spend any significant amount of time
    watching TV, and have a relatively large screen, the enhanced picture
    quality is well worth the additional investment, both when I made my
    purchase, and even more so right now.

    In article <e-KdnRk4f701xJfeRVn-1w@comcast.com>,
    "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:

    > My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
    > receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one of the
    > Tivos.
    >
    > I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
    > reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites requiring a
    > different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the deal on
    > a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required or wait
    > to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this would be more
    > costly. Your opinions? What have others done?

    I may get a $299 HR10-250 cause I can sell my HD Receiver and that will
    make the TiVo net cost zero, and then selling a 240 hour HDVR2 on ebay
    ought to bring in a few bucks.

    Guaranteed you'll need a new receiver for the HD channels from the new
    birds. They've let that slip out.

    Problem is they may say "Your HR10-250 still gets all the channels it
    did when you bought it so a new receiver is not "~required~", but we'll
    give you $50 off a new one."

    On 2005-08-22, GB <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:
    > My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
    > receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one of the
    > Tivos.
    >
    > I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
    > reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites requiring a
    > different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the deal on
    > a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required or wait
    > to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this would be more
    > costly. Your opinions? What have others done?

    If you get the HR10-250, what programming are you going to want to watch
    in HD? The current HD feeds are NOT going away, you just won't be able to
    watch the new feeds. So, if the current HD feeds are good enough for you,
    try to get the HR10-250. If you only want to watch the HD feeds coming on
    the new satellites, you might want to wait. The biggest problem of
    waiting, in my opinion, is there is NO schedule for when a new DVR is
    coming out that supports the new HD feeds - you could be waiting over a
    year before one is brought to market. Can you wait that long before
    enjoying HD? Since there is no DVR on the horizon for the new feeds, I
    would say try to get a good deal on the HR10-250 and enjoy it while you
    have it. Sure in a year or two you may have to pay some money to upgrade
    it to whatever DirecTV is pushing, but in the meantime, you will be
    enjoying a great DVR interface with HD content.

    --
    This is my .sig

    How many of you have actually gotten the HR10-250 for $299? Is this pretty
    standard from retention? Should I mention that cable might be a better
    choice (of course it is not) because they offer a HD dvr? I really would
    like an OTA sat antenna as well but am not sure it will work on my setup.

    I have a 4x8 (i think) multiswitch. I am using 7 of these feeds. Does the
    ota go through one of the feeds or exactly how is it connected?

    In article <11gkn9th91pahe2@corp.supernews.com>,
    Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >So, if the current HD feeds are good enough for you, try to get the HR10-250.

    Also, of course there's the OTA HD.

    Seems kind of funny to be going 'back' to an antenna, but if I were a
    DirecTV user, the $300 price people can get (though from some online
    discussions, maybe that's ONLY for existing customers through the retention
    department) would be VERY intriguing.. and I also say that as someone
    without an HD set either.

    But just being able to record the multiple feeds of some channels (like
    multiple PBSes, one of which rebroadcasts the good shows in the wee hours)
    would make it almost worth it to use with a non-HD TV!

    Heck, if I just use it as an OTA HD set, it'd be intriguing. I know that's
    not possible, I wish it were.
    --
    mattack@gmail.com

    In article <11gkn9th91pahe2@corp.supernews.com>,
    Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On 2005-08-22, GB <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
    > > receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one of
    > > the
    > > Tivos.
    > >
    > > I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
    > > reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites requiring
    > > different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the deal
    > > on
    > > a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required or wait
    > > to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this would be
    > > more
    > > costly. Your opinions? What have others done?
    >
    > If you get the HR10-250, what programming are you going to want to watch
    > in HD? The current HD feeds are NOT going away, you just won't be able to
    > watch the new feeds. So, if the current HD feeds are good enough for you,
    > try to get the HR10-250. If you only want to watch the HD feeds coming on
    > the new satellites, you might want to wait. The biggest problem of
    > waiting, in my opinion, is there is NO schedule for when a new DVR is
    > coming out that supports the new HD feeds -

    Echostar has an HD - DVR now for its larger HD package.

    > you could be waiting over a
    > year before one is brought to market. Can you wait that long before
    > enjoying HD? Since there is no DVR on the horizon for the new feeds, I
    > would say try to get a good deal on the HR10-250 and enjoy it while you
    > have it. Sure in a year or two you may have to pay some money to upgrade
    > it to whatever DirecTV is pushing, but in the meantime, you will be
    > enjoying a great DVR interface with HD content.

    i was just told that all new Directivo activations incur a monthly $5.99
    Tivo fee. That is a total ripoff as their Tivo costs have not increased.

    "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article <11gkn9th91pahe2@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2005-08-22, GB <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> > My setup now includes two HDVR2 (different rooms) two more directtv
    >> > receivers and a HD directv receiver hooked to my HD TV along with one
    >> > of
    >> > the
    >> > Tivos.
    >> >
    >> > I am interested in a HR10-250 especially considering the deals some are
    >> > reporting ($299). I am concerned though with the new satellites
    >> > requiring
    >> > different receiver. What to do? Should I go ahead and look for the
    >> > deal
    >> > on
    >> > a HR10-250 hoping it will be replaced for free once it is required or
    >> > wait
    >> > to see what is needed and purchase this receiver. I know this would be
    >> > more
    >> > costly. Your opinions? What have others done?
    >>
    >> If you get the HR10-250, what programming are you going to want to watch
    >> in HD? The current HD feeds are NOT going away, you just won't be able
    >> watch the new feeds. So, if the current HD feeds are good enough for
    >> you,
    >> try to get the HR10-250. If you only want to watch the HD feeds coming
    >> on
    >> the new satellites, you might want to wait. The biggest problem of
    >> waiting, in my opinion, is there is NO schedule for when a new DVR is
    >> coming out that supports the new HD feeds -
    >

    > Echostar has an HD - DVR now for its larger HD package.

    What does this have to do with the cost of eggs in China?

    >> you could be waiting over a
    >> year before one is brought to market. Can you wait that long before
    >> enjoying HD? Since there is no DVR on the horizon for the new feeds, I
    >> would say try to get a good deal on the HR10-250 and enjoy it while you
    >> have it. Sure in a year or two you may have to pay some money to upgrade
    >> it to whatever DirecTV is pushing, but in the meantime, you will be
    >> enjoying a great DVR interface with HD content.
    >

    > i was just told that all new Directivo activations incur a monthly $5.99
    > Tivo fee. That is a total ripoff as their Tivo costs have not increased.

    I am grandfathered in at 4.99

    In article <WridnSEgt5sYwpfeRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
    "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:

    > How many of you have actually gotten the HR10-250 for $299? Is this pretty
    > standard from retention?

    Yes, and if you negotiate well, you may get further credits of $100 or
    $200 on your account; and then a $100 mail-in rebate.

    However
    - you incur a 2 year contract
    - Tivo charges are now $5.99/month

    It all proves the unit will soon be obsolete, so they want to move them
    out.

    In article <A-CdnUk7Jrm785feRVn-pg@comcast.com>,
    "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:

    > "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <11gkn9th91pahe2@corp.supernews.com>,
    > > Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > >> If you get the HR10-250, what programming are you going to want to watch
    > >> in HD? The current HD feeds are NOT going away, you just won't be able
    > >> watch the new feeds. So, if the current HD feeds are good enough for
    > >> you,
    > >> try to get the HR10-250. If you only want to watch the HD feeds coming
    > >> on
    > >> the new satellites, you might want to wait. The biggest problem of
    > >> waiting, in my opinion, is there is NO schedule for when a new DVR is
    > >> coming out that supports the new HD feeds -
    > >

    > > Echostar has an HD - DVR now for its larger HD package.
    > >
    > What does this have to do with the cost of eggs in China?

    It means if you want a DVR with a satellite receiver that gets more HD
    stations than an HR10-250, you dont have to wait until DirecTv delivers
    one, maybe a year as you say. One is available TODAY !

    > >> you could be waiting over a
    > >> year before one is brought to market. Can you wait that long before
    > >> enjoying HD? Since there is no DVR on the horizon for the new feeds, I
    > >> would say try to get a good deal on the HR10-250 and enjoy it while you
    > >> have it. Sure in a year or two you may have to pay some money to upgrade
    > >> it to whatever DirecTV is pushing, but in the meantime, you will be
    > >> enjoying a great DVR interface with HD content.
    > >

    > > i was just told that all new Directivo activations incur a monthly $5.99
    > > Tivo fee. That is a total ripoff as their Tivo costs have not increased.
    >
    > I am grandfathered in at 4.99

    But if one adds another DirecTivo or switches a unit to an HR10-250, the
    fee goes up.

    In article <SNednXP8OKiVE5feRVn-tw@comcast.com>,
    "Mohawk Brewing" <mohawkbrewing@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > I discussed this with DTV extensively before I bought my 250..they committed
    > to updating my set to the MPEG-4 when they switch..
    > So I feel good about this.. now for their commitment to networking the TiVo
    > part..well that is wide open.

    Three points:

    1. You got that in writing?

    2. Will they say: "You dont need upgrading, your 250 still
    receives all it ever did"

    3. If they do agree to upgrade:

    A) Will there be a $200 upgrade fee?

    B) WIll there be a 6 month delay till they are "available"?

    And don't forget DirecTv is now under new management: Murdock, not
    Hughes, so their previous track record doesn't apply.

    > In article <WridnSEgt5sYwpfeRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
    > "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> How many of you have actually gotten the HR10-250 for $299? Is this
    >> pretty
    >> standard from retention?
    >
    > Yes, and if you negotiate well, you may get further credits of $100 or
    > $200 on your account; and then a $100 mail-in rebate.

    So what do you tell them, just call up and say I'm thinking of going over to
    cable because of the HD-DVR they are offering me? Or is there some special
    trick?

    --
    Nik Simpson

    In article <Xi3Pe.27664$xW.6905@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
    "Nik Simpson" <n_simpson@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <WridnSEgt5sYwpfeRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
    > > "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> How many of you have actually gotten the HR10-250 for $299? Is this
    > >> pretty
    > >> standard from retention?
    > >
    > > Yes, and if you negotiate well, you may get further credits of $100 or
    > > $200 on your account; and then a $100 mail-in rebate.
    >
    > So what do you tell them, just call up and say I'm thinking of going over to
    > cable because of the HD-DVR they are offering me? Or is there some special
    > trick?

    basically yes.

    <<I have a 4x8 (i think) multiswitch. I am using 7 of these feeds.
    Does the ota go through one of the feeds or exactly how is it
    connected?>>

    There is a separate connection for the ota, so you don't have to run it
    through your multiswitch unless you want to.

    John Cowart

    On 25 Aug 2005 08:11:35 -0700, "bo peep" <cowartmisc1@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    ><<I have a 4x8 (i think) multiswitch. I am using 7 of these feeds.
    >Does the ota go through one of the feeds or exactly how is it
    >connected?>>
    >
    >There is a separate connection for the ota, so you don't have to run it
    >through your multiswitch unless you want to.
    >
    >John Cowart

    I also am considering getting the HD 250g unit. I know to get HD local
    channels it has to come over the air.

    Do you still get the non HD local channels over SAT?

    I am also concerned about the limited 30 hrs recording time of HD. I
    current have a 120g hd in my Hughes Diretivo unit which gives me 108
    hrs. I would guess I keep at least 80 hrs or some on this unit at all
    times. I really do not know if I want to add another 250g HD to the HD
    directivo unit.

    My local HD service is pretty bad so far based on the experience of a
    friend that has had it for about 6 months.

    On 2005-08-26, xgp@rr.com <xgp@rr.com> wrote:
    > On 25 Aug 2005 08:11:35 -0700, "bo peep" <cowartmisc1@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >><<I have a 4x8 (i think) multiswitch. I am using 7 of these feeds.
    >>Does the ota go through one of the feeds or exactly how is it
    >>connected?>>
    >>
    >>There is a separate connection for the ota, so you don't have to run it
    >>through your multiswitch unless you want to.
    >>
    >>John Cowart
    >
    > I also am considering getting the HD 250g unit. I know to get HD local
    > channels it has to come over the air.

    Well, there are some HD local channels that DirecTV has in its lineup, but
    you're right that the common way to do this is OTA.

    > Do you still get the non HD local channels over SAT?

    Yes.

    > I am also concerned about the limited 30 hrs recording time of HD. I
    > current have a 120g hd in my Hughes Diretivo unit which gives me 108
    > hrs. I would guess I keep at least 80 hrs or some on this unit at all
    > times. I really do not know if I want to add another 250g HD to the HD
    > directivo unit.
    >
    > My local HD service is pretty bad so far based on the experience of a
    > friend that has had it for about 6 months.

    If your local HD service is pretty bad, then you won't be recording much
    in HD and your harddrive will be plenty big. If you start running out of
    room, you can add more space at that time.

    --
    This is my .sig

    > On 2005-08-26, xgp@rr.com <xgp@rr.com> wrote:
    >> On 25 Aug 2005 08:11:35 -0700, "bo peep" <cowartmisc1@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >> I also am considering getting the HD 250g unit. I know to get HD local
    >> channels it has to come over the air.
    >
    > Well, there are some HD local channels that DirecTV has in its lineup, but
    > you're right that the common way to do this is OTA.
    >
    >> Do you still get the non HD local channels over SAT?
    >
    > Yes.

    So is the HDTivo smart enough to recognize when a program is available in
    both HD (via OTA) and non-HD (via Sat) and record the HD version, or do you
    have to work this out manually?

    --
    Nik Simpson

    "bo peep" <cowartmisc1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > <<I have a 4x8 (i think) multiswitch. I am using 7 of these feeds.
    > Does the ota go through one of the feeds or exactly how is it
    > connected?>>
    >
    > There is a separate connection for the ota, so you don't have to run it
    > through your multiswitch unless you want to.

    You don't need a separate cable for the OTA. I have an OTA antenna attached
    to my satellite. The OTA signal is combined with the satellite signal and
    decoded at the other end. Thus, when you look at the rear connection panel
    of my hidef Tivo, you see just one wire attached for each feed. There is
    nothing attached to the OTA connector. Nowadays, there is little need for
    OTA if you have DirecTV. All the networks are delivered in HDTV format at
    channels 70 through the mid-80's. The only OTA channels I need to get are
    WNET, which is broadcast on channel 13-1 in my area, and WB which I believe
    is 11-1. As I scroll through the channels (2 through 79), the onscreen
    display informs me whether the channel I am currently on is a satellite or
    an OTA channel. I don't have to do anything special, it all happens
    automatically. Above 79, it is all satellite.

    Once upon a time, Nik Simpson <n_simpson@bellsouth.net> said:
    >So is the HDTivo smart enough to recognize when a program is available in
    >both HD (via OTA) and non-HD (via Sat) and record the HD version, or do you
    >have to work this out manually?

    I've only had my HD TiVo for a few days, so I'm not sure how smart it
    is about that; I haven't set up any auto-record wish lists yet.
    However, season passes are channel specific, so there's no smarts
    required there (19-1 is different than 19).
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

    In article <11gvsaos5pfn963@corp.supernews.com>,
    cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

    > Once upon a time, Nik Simpson <n_simpson@bellsouth.net> said:
    > >So is the HDTivo smart enough to recognize when a program is available in
    > >both HD (via OTA) and non-HD (via Sat) and record the HD version, or do you
    > >have to work this out manually?
    >
    > I've only had my HD TiVo for a few days, so I'm not sure how smart it
    > is about that; I haven't set up any auto-record wish lists yet.
    > However, season passes are channel specific, so there's no smarts
    > required there (19-1 is different than 19).

    It is not that smart. I was recording a show for my wife that was SD
    but simulcast on the digital channel. I recorded it from there. I was
    not able to transfer it to tape for proper viewing on an SD TV. I
    switched the Season Pass to use the SD channel.

    BTW, I can't find a way to actually switch a Season Pass this way. I
    had to delete it and create a new one. It would be so much easier to
    tell it to just change channels!

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:23:13 GMT, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

    >In article <11gvsaos5pfn963@corp.supernews.com>,
    > cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:
    >
    >> Once upon a time, Nik Simpson <n_simpson@bellsouth.net> said:
    >> >So is the HDTivo smart enough to recognize when a program is available in
    >> >both HD (via OTA) and non-HD (via Sat) and record the HD version, or do you
    >> >have to work this out manually?
    >>
    >> I've only had my HD TiVo for a few days, so I'm not sure how smart it
    >> is about that; I haven't set up any auto-record wish lists yet.
    >> However, season passes are channel specific, so there's no smarts
    >> required there (19-1 is different than 19).
    >
    >It is not that smart. I was recording a show for my wife that was SD
    >but simulcast on the digital channel. I recorded it from there. I was
    >not able to transfer it to tape for proper viewing on an SD TV. I
    >switched the Season Pass to use the SD channel.
    >
    >BTW, I can't find a way to actually switch a Season Pass this way. I
    >had to delete it and create a new one. It would be so much easier to
    >tell it to just change channels!

    I was about ready to order the new HD but it looks to me that if you
    do not get any of the premium movie channels and if you do not like
    sports, you really only get about 3 useful channels?? Am I missing
    something?

    I mean you have to get the local channels off OTA which is free
    anyway. What happens if you feed the free OTA into a stand alone Tivo
    and record at its highest quality level?

    While I have a HD tv it is not Letterbox format. What happens on the
    HD channels if you do not have a letterbox format TV?

    How well does the $50 antenna works that DirecTv provide? In my area
    when I check the HDTV site for type of antenna

    xgp@rr.com wrote:

    > I was about ready to order the new HD but it looks to me that if you
    > do not get any of the premium movie channels and if you do not like
    > sports, you really only get about 3 useful channels?? Am I missing
    > something?

    DirecTV's HD package is:
    73 = ESPN-HD
    74 = UHD (Universal HD)
    76 = DISC-HD (Discovery Channel HD)
    78 = HDNTM (HDNet Movies)
    79 = HDNET

    > I mean you have to get the local channels off OTA which is free
    > anyway. What happens if you feed the free OTA into a stand alone Tivo
    > and record at its highest quality level?

    You can't record OTA ATSC signals on a standalone TiVo by itself.

    You can record the 480i output of an external OTA tuner and later
    play it back on a widescreen television. But such recordings have
    to be manual only. The standalone TiVo has no concept of subchannels
    (like 9-1 and 9-2) and therefore cannot control an external OTA tuner.

    > While I have a HD tv it is not Letterbox format. What happens on the
    > HD channels if you do not have a letterbox format TV?

    Wrong nomenclature. "Letterbox" is the process of showing widescreen
    video on a standard (4:3) television. "Widescreen" is the name for
    televisions with the 16:9 aspect ratio.

    The HD10-250 can output video in 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i formats.
    For all except the last one, you can tell TiVo that your TV has 4:3
    dimensions, and the TiVo will create letterbox bars at top and bottom
    for 16:9 video. But if you select 1080i format, TiVo delivers only 16:9
    widescreen video. It assumes that anything capable of 1080i is also
    capable of zooming or masking on its own.

    > How well does the $50 antenna works that DirecTv provide? In my area
    > when I check the HDTV site for type of antenna

    Try http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx or
    http://www.titantv.com/ttv/AntennaSelector/start.aspx?broadcastType=digital
    for other types of OTA antennas. (I would not use attached-to-the-dish
    antennas.)

    -Joe

    [comments bottom posted]

    <xgp@rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:23:13 GMT, Robert Peirce
    > <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <11gvsaos5pfn963@corp.supernews.com>,
    >> cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

    >>> I've only had my HD TiVo for a few days, so I'm not sure how smart it
    >>> is about that; I haven't set up any auto-record wish lists yet.
    >>> However, season passes are channel specific, so there's no smarts
    >>> required there (19-1 is different than 19).
    >>
    >>It is not that smart. I was recording a show for my wife that was SD
    >>but simulcast on the digital channel. I recorded it from there. I was
    >>not able to transfer it to tape for proper viewing on an SD TV. I
    >>switched the Season Pass to use the SD channel.
    >>
    >>BTW, I can't find a way to actually switch a Season Pass this way. I
    >>had to delete it and create a new one. It would be so much easier to
    >>tell it to just change channels!
    >
    > I was about ready to order the new HD but it looks to me that if you
    > do not get any of the premium movie channels and if you do not like
    > sports, you really only get about 3 useful channels?? Am I missing
    > something?
    >
    > I mean you have to get the local channels off OTA which is free
    > anyway. What happens if you feed the free OTA into a stand alone Tivo
    > and record at its highest quality level?

    You do NOT need to get local channels off OTA, at least in my area. I get
    ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox etc on channels numbered in the high 70's through low
    80's. I have an OTA antenna diplexed to my satellite, but i don't usually
    use it, as reception in Westchester County, NY (about 20 miles north of
    Ground Zero) is unreliable. If DirecTV did not carry the networks, I would
    have to use standard definition if I really wanted to watch these shows.
    And, you get a lot more than three channels, not counting the networks. I
    get HBO, Showtime, DiscoverHD, ESPN-HD, UHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies. So, you
    are missing something, a whole bunch of HDTV channels. I hardly ever need to
    watch a show that is NOT in HDTV format, with the exception of The Comeback
    and Entourage, both of which are shown on hidef channels but are broadcast
    in standard definition. Clear?

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:45:43 GMT, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >[comments bottom posted]
    >
    ><xgp@rr.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:23:13 GMT, Robert Peirce
    >> <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

    >>>It is not that smart. I was recording a show for my wife that was SD
    >>>but simulcast on the digital channel. I recorded it from there. I was
    >>>not able to transfer it to tape for proper viewing on an SD TV. I
    >>>switched the Season Pass to use the SD channel.
    >>>
    >>>BTW, I can't find a way to actually switch a Season Pass this way. I
    >>>had to delete it and create a new one. It would be so much easier to
    >>>tell it to just change channels!
    >>
    >> I was about ready to order the new HD but it looks to me that if you
    >> do not get any of the premium movie channels and if you do not like
    >> sports, you really only get about 3 useful channels?? Am I missing
    >> something?
    >>
    >> I mean you have to get the local channels off OTA which is free
    >> anyway. What happens if you feed the free OTA into a stand alone Tivo
    >> and record at its highest quality level?
    >

    >You do NOT need to get local channels off OTA, at least in my area. I get
    >ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox etc on channels numbered in the high 70's through low
    >80's. I have an OTA antenna diplexed to my satellite, but i don't usually
    >use it, as reception in Westchester County, NY (about 20 miles north of
    >Ground Zero) is unreliable. If DirecTV did not carry the networks, I would
    >have to use standard definition if I really wanted to watch these shows.
    >And, you get a lot more than three channels, not counting the networks. I
    >get HBO, Showtime, DiscoverHD, ESPN-HD, UHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies. So, you
    >are missing something, a whole bunch of HDTV channels. I hardly ever need to
    >watch a show that is NOT in HDTV format, with the exception of The Comeback
    >and Entourage, both of which are shown on hidef channels but are broadcast
    >in standard definition. Clear?

    You apparently did not read my posting at all. I very clearly stated
    if you do not get a premium movie channel (HBO, Showtime etc) and do
    not like sports, you only get about 3 channels.

    So maybe I missed the DiscoverHD. However, from what I have read it
    keeps playing the same thing over and over. I know a friend gets the
    PBSHD locally and that is what he has noticed on it. While the picture
    is outstanding, they post very little new programming. So I still
    wonder what is worth $10.99 for 3 possible channels. I checked the
    movie schedule for both HDNET and UHD and was not that impressed with
    the movie selections. So in addition to $10.99 to get HD, I have to
    pay an extra $12 for a premium movie channel.

    Don't get me wrong, I have tried to talk myself into upgrading, but
    every time I check the facts, I just question the logic for the cost.
    Now, if the $10.99 got all the DirecTV channels in HD, then it would
    be worth the cost. Both each person has to justify they own wants.

Tivo HD Home Theatre Product