Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My first gaming PC build - Looking for advice!

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 27, 2009 8:56:23 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Thursday or later
BUDGET RANGE: Roughly 800
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
PARTS PREFERENCES: Not really
OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

What I plan on building with....

PROCESSOR
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

MOTHERBOARD
BIOSTAR TA790GXE AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

MEMORY
G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Retail

VIDEO CARD
PNY VCGGTX260CXPB GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

CASE
Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS Black SECC Japanese steel Gaming Cube Computer Case - Retail

HDD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

OPTICAL
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

PSU
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply - Retail

I'm experienced in building everyday use PC's for myself as well as friends and family, but not sure quite what I'm getting into with a gaming build. I'm not dead set on anything in the above list, I could even go either way as far as AMD or Intel processors. I would like to keep it a Micro ATX build, unless of course there's a good reason I should not. Also what kind of gaming performance could I expect out of this machine? I would like to run Crysis (even if at lower settings) as well as Borderlands, COD4, MW2 to name a few. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

More about : gaming build advice

October 27, 2009 1:15:09 PM

If you are looking for something a bit more powerful, for about the same price range...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2704...

I know that is a great machine, because it is mine lol. I am selling it because I build/buy/sell computers and I have entirely too many on hand--I want to move out all my old ones.

Hope this was helpful, you just happened to be looking for a machine very similar to mine it appears.

Worth a look! You will find it has some higher quality components than your original choices.
Related resources
October 27, 2009 1:28:30 PM

dirtdiver said:
If you are looking for something a bit more powerful, for about the same price range...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2704...

I know that is a great machine, because it is mine lol. I am selling it because I build/buy/sell computers and I have entirely too many on hand--I want to move out all my old ones.

Hope this was helpful, you just happened to be looking for a machine very similar to mine it appears.

Worth a look! You will find it has some higher quality components than your original choices.



You want $900 for that? I have a Q9550 with X48 chipset, Antec P182 case I'll sacrafice for $800
October 27, 2009 1:37:15 PM

^+1 and IS USED

October 27, 2009 1:38:31 PM

You should see the stuff custom PC builders get away with here in Maine--very sub-par machines for $500-750 and they label them "gaming machines" and people think they are good. I just try to sell good machines for the best price I can.

Not trying to fire up an argument--just saying, all of my components have been specifically selected to work great with each other and I don't skimp on any parts. I could have easily put DDR2 in the machine and saved a ton of money, but that isn't what I was going for. Maybe it's just me, I like using parts I like from brands I trust--and I wouldn't pass on to my clients things that I wouldn't use myself.
October 27, 2009 3:30:55 PM

Why would you pair an expensive 790FX motherboard with an Nvidia GPU? The motherboard supports crossfire, not SLI. The OP also said he wasn't interested in SLI or crossfire. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the POS Raidmax PSU. You do NOT want to use a Raidmax PSU unless you like indoor fireworks. This is what I'd build in your budget:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $146.94 (Case + OS combo)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $244.98 - $10.00 MIR (CPU + monitor combo)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 - $25.00 MIR + 10% off with promo code OCSAVEOCT

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $159.99

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $25.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99

Total - $817.86 - $35.00 MIR's
October 27, 2009 4:51:17 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Why would you pair an expensive 790FX motherboard with an Nvidia GPU? The motherboard supports crossfire, not SLI. The OP also said he wasn't interested in SLI or crossfire. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the POS Raidmax PSU. You do NOT want to use a Raidmax PSU unless you like indoor fireworks. This is what I'd build in your budget:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $146.94 (Case + OS combo)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $244.98 - $10.00 MIR (CPU + monitor combo)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 - $25.00 MIR + 10% off with promo code OCSAVEOCT

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $159.99

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $25.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99

Total - $817.86 - $35.00 MIR's


Some great suggestions there, I actually just used that same power supply for a build I did for my cousin--very nice for the price/performance ratio.

Personally, I would suggest a Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive--again, for price/performance ratio it is nearly unbeatable IMO.

I would also recommend Corsair RAM, I have always been a loyal Corsair user--simply because it has always worked for me--ALWAYS. I have used gSkill once, and it was fine--but for high end machines, I prefer high end memory--you get what you pay for, yah?

All in all, the above has some great ideas.
October 27, 2009 5:33:27 PM

The F3 500GB drive actually outperforms the Western Digital Black drives because of it's very high data density. It uses a single 500GB platter where the 640GB Black drive uses two 320GB platters. The WD drives are nice, but the F3 outperforms them for less money.

I wouldn't say you get what you pay for with RAM. They all use the same actual chips. You just pay more for the Corsair name. Actually, you can usually find RAM with tighter timings for less money from G.Skill. I've used G.Skill RAM in many builds and have yet to be disappointed. The Corsair kit I had in my current personal machine died on me. I got it replaced under warranty, sold it, and replaced it with a G.Skill kit. I've had no problems since.
October 27, 2009 5:45:44 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The F3 500GB drive actually outperforms the Western Digital Black drives because of it's very high data density. It uses a single 500GB platter where the 640GB Black drive uses two 320GB platters. The WD drives are nice, but the F3 outperforms them for less money.

I wouldn't say you get what you pay for with RAM. They all use the same actual chips. You just pay more for the Corsair name. Actually, you can usually find RAM with tighter timings for less money from G.Skill. I've used G.Skill RAM in many builds and have yet to be disappointed. The Corsair kit I had in my current personal machine died on me. I got it replaced under warranty, sold it, and replaced it with a G.Skill kit. I've had no problems since.



I've actually had better luck with G.Skill, Crucial, and Geil than Corsair or OCZ.
I've been using Mushkin lately. Their ram wasn't that expensive before when I was buying them.
Now all their prices have jumped significantly because people have found out they make ram
with tight timings. So far so good on all my Mushkin ram. I've heard horror stories about Corsair Dominators, but
I'm was fortunate enough to not experience any of that.

The only ram I had problems with was OCZ platinum. I had 3 sets die in the past 3 months. RMA takes forever
because they don't have any in stock in their warehouse so they have to ship it from Taiwan. It took them them
almost 2 months to ship me my first set. I just got it yesterday. I'm still waiting on the other sets.
October 27, 2009 6:26:56 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The F3 500GB drive actually outperforms the Western Digital Black drives because of it's very high data density. It uses a single 500GB platter where the 640GB Black drive uses two 320GB platters. The WD drives are nice, but the F3 outperforms them for less money.


Not saying you're wrong--but for the heck of it, do you have the specs to back that up?

The WD has a 32mb cache, as opposed to the F3's 16mb. The WD also runs 2 motors internally rather than 1.

Newegg was a bit skimp on the specs for each, but was especially lacking on the WD. I have the WD and it runs fast fast fast and below 35C so I am happy, although if the F3 is truly a faster drive I would consider it for future use. True though, that the F3 is a fair amount cheaper...

WD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

F3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyone got better specs to compare?
October 27, 2009 7:09:01 PM

Just do a Google search for "Samsung F3 platter density" to verify that the F3 uses 500GB platters. The cache size has little affect on drive speed.

Like I said, the WD drives are nice. I actually have 5 WD drives in my computer at home and have never had one fail. I'm just saying that you can get better performance for cheaper. Neither drive is a bad choice.
October 28, 2009 3:09:59 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
Why would you pair an expensive 790FX motherboard with an Nvidia GPU? The motherboard supports crossfire, not SLI. The OP also said he wasn't interested in SLI or crossfire. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the POS Raidmax PSU. You do NOT want to use a Raidmax PSU unless you like indoor fireworks. This is what I'd build in your budget:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $146.94 (Case + OS combo)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $244.98 - $10.00 MIR (CPU + monitor combo)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 - $25.00 MIR + 10% off with promo code OCSAVEOCT

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $159.99

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $25.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99

Total - $817.86 - $35.00 MIR's


Thanks for the warning about that PSU. I very much like this build, though. I was also thinking based on the price of that GPU, I might as well leave room to expand to a crossfire setup in a couple of weeks. In light of that I was thinking of switching to a motherboard earlier suggested...

ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

As well as dropping a bit more on the power supply for future upgrades...

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ700FTY 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

This brings me to the price point of $952.86 with $25.00 MIR. A little higher than I wanted to go, but it just seems like the right thing to do. This way in a couple of weeks I can order another of that Raedon card, another set of Ripjaws and it seems like it would be a somewhat respectable rig. Any thoughts before I make the purchase?
October 28, 2009 10:06:10 AM

headshotvandal said:
Any thoughts before I make the purchase?



Looks like you've got a great build on your hands, courtesy of people donating their time and expertise! Build that beast.
!