Sign in with
Your question

Adding a SSD

Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2011 10:03:42 AM

So I after my friend reminded me that my PCs performance bottleneck is my standard HDD i'm convinced that a SSD for windows and frequently used programs would be a good thing.

I've been reading and it seems clear that the lifetime of flash ssd is measured in the same sort of numbers human lifetimes are. (I see 50-100 years being pretty common numbers)

What I want to do is have my windows and all the programs I use extensively. Like char clients, Firefox, Windows and possibly a game or two there.

I'm looking at a Kingston SSDNow V100 Series 64GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Internal) -
That should be enough space and if the endurance I have is right I won't need to worry about it.

So I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and i'm told that its best to reinstall windows on the SSD.. So if I do this the Windows 7 on my regular Hard Drive will just sit inert when I boot from the SSD? Or will I have to go through some horrible process to remove/deactivate it?

Is there any easy way to keep all my windows settings?

and last of all - For a 6 Core AMD Processor, 8GB DDR3 with a Raedon HD 5800 the HDD is bound to be what causes virtually any and all slowdown or slow launch of programs?

More about : adding ssd

September 14, 2011 10:48:07 AM

Also i'm going to give it a cleaning while its out. The consensus is that using a hoover is extremely stupid so i'm looking for canned air.

However I don't know if the £2 canned air some people are selling will harm my PC compared to the Belkin stuff that is £7-11 and says it can clean PC internals..
a c 279 G Storage
September 14, 2011 1:31:41 PM

Sumayyaa said:
So I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and i'm told that its best to reinstall windows on the SSD.. So if I do this the Windows 7 on my regular Hard Drive will just sit inert when I boot from the SSD? Or will I have to go through some horrible process to remove/deactivate it?

Is there any easy way to keep all my windows settings?

and last of all - For a 6 Core AMD Processor, 8GB DDR3 with a Raedon HD 5800 the HDD is bound to be what causes virtually any and all slowdown or slow launch of programs?

64 GB is usually plenty of space for Win7 and a fair number of applications.
You must disconnect the hard drive from the system when you install Win7 on the SSD. Otherwise, the boot sequence will actually start from the HDD. I recommend putting the SSD on the SATA port number one, so that it will stay at the top of the boot order.
Remember to set the controller mode (in BIOS) to AHCI instead of the default IDE before installing Win7 on the SSD, if you haven't already set this mode.
Microsoft does provide a tool for migrating from one OS install to another, and quite a few settings are covered. You build a data set on the old system and read from it on the new one. I've forgotten the name; I will look for it later, but you could Google it yourself.
Finally, while the HDD is the most likely suspect, there is always the possibility that either one of the other devices has a hardware problem or your machine is infected with malware that is eating up your CPU cycles.

Good luck.

EDIT: The tool that I mentioned above is Windows Easy Transfer.
a c 257 G Storage
September 15, 2011 4:13:17 AM

I have been using cans of compressed air to clean my pc's for about 6 or 7 years. In fact, I just bought a can the other day. I always buy the least expensive can. I've never had any problems with the cheaper air.

TIP - Clean the pc outdoors. No point in blowing the dust and debris all over a room.
!