Sign in with
Your question

5800's went up in price..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2009 4:26:34 PM

newegg
5850 $299
5870 $399

I read somewhere on the forums here ( can't remember what post ) that prices would go up b/c S&D. Well they did... ( $400 sounds a helluva lot worse than $379 when asking the wife for a X-mas present )

and damn that APO shipping cost...

More about : 5800 price

November 5, 2009 4:33:03 PM

Well, better yields for them will give them better R&D, not to mention AMD needs the money.
November 5, 2009 7:12:06 PM

Also... I noticed that newegg has also taken from their listings an Asus 5870 and an Asus 5850 from there along with others it looks like... I can understand "Out of Stock" but now just not even listed anymore... what is really going on here?
Related resources
November 5, 2009 7:14:21 PM

The prices will drop back down again as supply increases and when the nVidia cards finally hit the market.

Though both are unlikely to happen before Christmas

Tydalwave, Newegg tends to do that often though I'm unsure why. I see this happen to cards from every brand and price range every now and then.
November 5, 2009 7:18:48 PM

If I were ASUS, what I'd do is stock up on about 1,000 of the cards (or some higher figure), and then lower the price $30 from everyone else. You might not make as much money per card, but you sold twice as much.

x = money per card
a = amount sold

if a > 31 then a2-30 > a
November 5, 2009 7:36:03 PM

shadow187 said:
If I were ASUS, what I'd do is stock up on about 1,000 of the cards (or some higher figure), and then lower the price $30 from everyone else. You might not make as much money per card, but you sold twice as much.

x = money per card
a = amount sold

if a > 31 then a2-30 > a

Why do that when you'll sell 1,000 units at the current price too?

November 5, 2009 7:49:30 PM

TheViper said:
Why do that when you'll sell 1,000 units at the current price too?

Well, I said other high figure. If they sell 10,K in a week as opposed to 500 in a week, it's big $$.
November 5, 2009 7:54:25 PM

But they can't sell more than they have.

Selling 1,000 card in 1 day or 1,000 cards in 2 weeks nets you the same amount of money unless you are charging $30 less for that 1k sales day. Then you lose money.
November 5, 2009 7:55:56 PM

TheViper said:
But they can't sell more than they have.

Selling 1,000 card in 1 day or 1,000 cards in 2 weeks nets you the same amount of money unless you are charging $30 less for that 1k sales day. Then you lose money.

But if they save up for a week, stock 10k cards, then sell them all in a week, that could beat the 8k cards they would have sold over two+ weeks.
November 5, 2009 7:57:41 PM

shadow187 said:
Well, I said other high figure. If they sell 10,K in a week as opposed to 500 in a week, it's big $$.

But they would still mke less per card.. not to mention having to pay to store them while they build up stocks.. :|
November 5, 2009 7:59:40 PM

FINE, GO AHEAD AND WOOP ME WITH COMMON SENSE. ALL I WANTED WAS TO SOUND SMART.

*hides in his closet*

If you take that as real rage, go...choke on a spoon....or something...
November 5, 2009 8:02:48 PM

shadow187 said:
But if they save up for a week, stock 10k cards, then sell them all in a week, that could beat the 8k cards they would have sold over two+ weeks.

But what would the point be?

Over the total timeline they'd still sell the exact same number of cards - whatever amount that can be acquired from ATi.

So X amount x $400 or X amount x $400 - $30?

If I'm a company, I'm taking the former.

EDIT: LOL, fair enough, Shadow.
November 5, 2009 8:11:44 PM

TheViper said:
But what would the point be?

Over the total timeline they'd still sell the exact same number of cards - whatever amount that can be acquired from ATi.

So X amount x $400 or X amount x $400 - $30?

If I'm a company, I'm taking the former.

EDIT: LOL, fair enough, Shadow.

Nvm.

Thanks for not laughing ;_;
November 5, 2009 8:27:21 PM

IMO the whole rollout was a big FAIL. I would have waited 2 more months to release the cards w/o having the shortage issue. Companies like DELL/Alienware/Cyberpower are having MAJOR issues due to the shortage and most of the high end PC's are selling with outdated 295's and 285's.... And trust me if you are going to spend 3-4k on a pre-built PC it better have a next gen GPU or you are basically wasting your time and cash....

November 5, 2009 8:31:41 PM

At least they had a rollout. Better than some companies they are competing with.
November 5, 2009 8:42:33 PM

What good is a rollout when a good chunk of the population can't even get their hands on one?
November 5, 2009 8:46:07 PM

OvrClkr said:
What good is a rollout when a good chunk of the population can't even get their hands on one?

Well, then they'll have a consistent stream of sales, with a few losses.
November 5, 2009 8:47:58 PM

No one is claiming it's a fantastic rollout, OvrClkr. But a supply hindered rollout is better than no rollout at all.

It's product on the market vs no product on the market. The market share gained, the perceptions received, the reviews garnered, etc...far too many positives from ATi's rollout than negatives.
November 5, 2009 8:49:26 PM

From what I've heard, they did have a decent number of cards. Just the combination of very high demand and recent trouble at TSMC (and not realizing how high demand would be, they probably thought NVidia would have their card out by now taking some of their sales) leaves us in the current situation. I've seen worse launches (in terms of quantity of product). What disappointed me more was that there were not more DX11 demos and other fun stuff at the time of launch.
November 5, 2009 8:51:44 PM

True, I do not disagree... But why even bother with a few GPU's ready for launch when you could have waited a bit and not have to deal with any shortage at all? What was the RUSH? Nvidia is not releasing anything till next year so why rush with the rollout? IDK it just seems odd that a company like AMD with such a good marketing dept. would rush when they could have waited a bit....
November 5, 2009 8:54:08 PM

OvrClkr said:
True, I do not disagree... But why even bother with a few GPU's ready for launch when you could have waited a bit and not have to deal with any shortage at all? What was the RUSH? Nvidia is not releasing anything till next year so why rush with the rollout?

More release time ~= more market share gained.
November 5, 2009 8:57:41 PM

Good marketing department?!? Now I know you are joking on that.

As to your question though, I understand your point. It may have been they thad a decent amount for the launch and knew TSMC was having trouble, but thought it would be resolved quickly, so went ahead, only not to get more cards when they ran out of initial stock. And I think with the current state AMD is in, they were probably pressured to get their card out and selling ASAP.
November 5, 2009 9:01:07 PM

Supply and Demand. If you don't like it then write a nasty letter to TSMC telling them to get those darn yields up. :D  Don't look to global foundries to provide the chips either because they won't be providing 40nm bulk chips till like Q2 of 2010 if you're lucky.
November 5, 2009 9:02:51 PM

Yea but look at it it this way, most companies that sell high-end pre-built pc's are selling them with Nvidia GPU's cause the 4870x2 is discontinued. That cannot be good for AMD. Second, peeps that want a 5850 or 5870 are inclined to wait and get a 3 series since they have no option at this time other than a 4870/4890 or 200 series equivalent. Third, once we have more 5850's and 5870's available they will last a day or two and we will have to wait 2 more weeks for another batch to appear. This is unaceptable IMO.... Of course there have been worse rollouts before but the whole point of that is to NOT HAVE ANY MORE FAILED ROLLOUTS, you are suposed to learn from past mistakes and make sure they do not happen again.... So if TSMC is to blame, the only way around this whole mess was to postpone the inicial rollout and make sure that there are enough GPU"s for the market.
November 5, 2009 9:02:52 PM

Launch a few months ago and get decent sales (sell outs look really good too) and have the market to yourself with fantastic press coverage or launch along with nVidia and have the fight for sales and press coverage?

Seems an easy choice to me.
November 5, 2009 9:06:53 PM

TheViper said:
Launch a few months ago and get decent sales (sell outs look really good too) and have the market to yourself with fantastic press coverage or launch along with nVidia and have the fight for sales and press coverage?

Seems an easy choice to me.

That's what I was going at with the Market Share. People look at how great these new cards are, see they're new capabilities, and see their price, and they want to pounce 'em. All of this coverage will give ATI the feeling of, "Latest and Greatest," that they've needed.
November 5, 2009 9:11:18 PM

Most importantly, ATI DX11 product is out, and in devs hands, and is shaping the direction of future games on a scale ATI hasnt enjoyed in awhile, and thats more worry for nVidia than low supply high demand impact in the channel is for nVidia to rejoice.
November 5, 2009 10:08:39 PM

Son of a bitch. 5800 series prices are going up and the GTX295 is not dropping so I can afford to run quad with a second one. Most games stress up to 3 GPUs anyway (Crysis), and that 4th one is just going to be for the ride. I rather do 2x5870. What do you guys think?
November 5, 2009 10:57:07 PM

2 HD 5870's are certainly better than 2 GTX 295's for exactly the reason you gave. The performance scale between 2 GPU's and 4 GPU's puts the 5870's in favor.

And of course you don't need near as much power to run them and you get DX11. Cheaper too.
November 5, 2009 11:01:00 PM

And you can swap one out for a 5970 if you get bored, hmm?
November 7, 2009 1:35:17 AM

I agree. The 5870 was under development when I got my GTX295, so I didn't know what was going to hit us. I also like the amount of power consumed by the 5870 than the GTX295, which requires minimum of whopping 680W! DX11 and cheaper price tag also are very attractive. ATI seems to have the upper hand right now. Lets see how the GT300 cards will compare upon their release if not at the end of this year, the 1stQ of 2010. In time we shall see.
November 7, 2009 1:44:15 AM

Wouldn't surprise me if they were holding a bunch back to release right before Christmas at the higher price.
November 7, 2009 1:52:41 AM

Not sure if you guys heard or not but nVidia released a press release today with the target release for Fermi being Q1 2010. Their Q1 starts on January 26 and ends April 25.

This means they'll launch (if on target) anywhere between those dates.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200911052344...
November 7, 2009 2:02:43 AM

No, I didn't know that. They need to hall ass though before ATI eats the whole damn pie. I hope they repeat the same performance level as they did with the GT200 series Vs. the 4800. Very eager to find out. Thanks for the info...
November 7, 2009 2:08:48 AM

So, options are limited, and hopefully TSMC will be right on their word, saying that the 40nm problems will end by years end, actually before years end.
Im sure itll be awhile before we see any price reductions, no competition, low output all leading towards lower prices not happening.
Even if the 40nm comes around soon, theres backlogs of orders to fill, eating up any first increases in production.
Also, ATI will eventually have their x2 cards out, and those too will make an impact on total available 58xx cores
November 7, 2009 2:18:14 AM

I second that.
November 7, 2009 2:34:49 AM

Here in the UK the gouging on ATi has already started so although they are both on pre order the difference between the cheapest GTX295(£289.98) and the top end 5870(£520.98) is £231. ATi the value choice. :lol: 
November 7, 2009 2:49:19 AM

20 bucks here ijn the states, poor UKers
November 7, 2009 2:57:32 AM

I would not be at all surprised if vendors over here didn't start jacking up the prices on the rest of the 5 series citing 'shortage of supply' as the cause, it happened with the G0 Q6600 so it wouldn't be a shocker.
November 7, 2009 3:00:05 AM

I thought Europe was pretty strict about price gouging?
November 7, 2009 3:13:37 AM

TheViper said:
I thought Europe was pretty strict about price gouging?

That would be the first I'd heard and I've been here for over forty years :lol:  . Stores can charge pretty much what they want be it very high or very low it's up to the owners of the business to decide.
November 7, 2009 3:21:11 AM

Consequences to price gouging here in the states is limited to a few things, like when a hurricane wipes out a few refieries, some run the price waaay up at the pumps, and do get nailed for it, but it isnt cited and punished for doing it that often
November 7, 2009 3:29:04 AM

Newegg price gouged like mad on the intell x25-m SSD's too with them in short supply. They were charging near $400 when it should have been $225ish.
November 7, 2009 5:06:04 AM

tydalwave said:
newegg
5850 $299
5870 $399

I read somewhere on the forums here ( can't remember what post ) that prices would go up b/c S&D. Well they did... ( $400 sounds a helluva lot worse than $379 when asking the wife for a X-mas present )

and damn that APO shipping cost...

just proves what i said originally is true, under priced them from the get go.
November 7, 2009 5:09:04 AM

OvrClkr said:
IMO the whole rollout was a big FAIL. I would have waited 2 more months to release the cards w/o having the shortage issue. Companies like DELL/Alienware/Cyberpower are having MAJOR issues due to the shortage and most of the high end PC's are selling with outdated 295's and 285's.... And trust me if you are going to spend 3-4k on a pre-built PC it better have a next gen GPU or you are basically wasting your time and cash....

yeh amd is selling every card they can make and can even increase price, really a huge fail! :pt1cable:  :lol:  :whistle: 
November 7, 2009 5:55:16 AM

100% agreed
November 7, 2009 5:57:17 AM

Not that any of those high end prebuilts might come with, ohhh say, a 4890 or a 4870 or a x2, naw, that couldnt be happening
November 7, 2009 9:32:45 AM

tydalwave said:
Also... I noticed that newegg has also taken from their listings an Asus 5870 and an Asus 5850 from there along with others it looks like... I can understand "Out of Stock" but now just not even listed anymore... what is really going on here?

i think it has a lot to do with the end of the $, i dont know whats happening in America just now but im a bit scared, if all that FEMA stuff is true
November 7, 2009 2:17:04 PM

After 4 weeks there's several XFX 5850 and one(1) Diamond 5870($399) at Frys. No 4890s for straight 4 weeks.

I asked for XFX 5870 and the store Manager replied that shipments are due early next week and that the items on the shelves are all new deliveries.

I'm tentative with Diamond due to horrible warranty policy although the boards now are labelled 2 years.

newegg is still zero inventory for 5870.

This is a major screw up in TSMC that even the old products are taking a hit.
November 7, 2009 2:40:01 PM

I waited for a couple weeks to get the 5850. Kept getting notifications from newegg hat they had the Asus and XFX in stock. But they didnt >.> first newegg screwup for me. The frys store here in phoenix had 4 in stock and had em for 3 days maybe. I managed to snag one of them with a price of 319.99$. You just cannot find them anywhere, hence them raising the price about 10$ everytime they get a shipment of 3 or 4.
!