• Extra Dough Lying around
  • 0 %
  • What's Lucid Hydra??????????
  • 9 %
  • Not extravagant enough
  • 0 %
  • Just bought a Rig
  • 9 %
  • It's only 1st gen.... let it grow older than I'll think about it.... Maybe..
  • 59 %
  • What will I need to use it for?
  • 0 %
a c 87 V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 7:05:55 AM

Will you Buy A Mother Board with the Lucid Hydra chips, Yes or No & Why?

That is the question of the poll....... Before checking the results it'd be nice to choose anyone of the most suitable options

More about : lucid hydra

a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 10:08:41 AM

Well, the Big Bang Fuzion is only for convenience IMO, say if you have an ATi and nVidia card lying around. It's not really for enthusiasts, because CrossFireX/SLI would scale better than Hydra. Not to mention that it's pretty expensive too.
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 10:51:10 AM

It might also go the way of PhysX, an enthusiast's (with a lot of money) toy.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 1:47:38 PM

I believe that this technology threatens both crossfire & SLI. It works, but is not perfected yet.

This could mean that since LucidLogic is a privately owned company, a big shot like Intel could scoop it up for a price and master the process, thus making crossfire & SLI obsolete and Intel would have a stranglehold on that aspect of the chipset business...
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 3:02:03 PM

jonpaul37 said:
I believe that this technology threatens both crossfire & SLI. It works, but is not perfected yet.

This could mean that since LucidLogic is a privately owned company, a big shot like Intel could scoop it up for a price and master the process, thus making crossfire & SLI obsolete and Intel would have a stranglehold on that aspect of the chipset business...

they would only have a stranglehold on intel based systems since AMD uses NV and their own chipsets. Now if you think about it, intel already has a stranglehold on intel based systems since they locked NV out, since they ditched the FSB
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 4:36:56 PM

mindless728 said:
they would only have a stranglehold on intel based systems since AMD uses NV and their own chipsets. Now if you think about it, intel already has a stranglehold on intel based systems since they locked NV out, since they ditched the FSB

This may be true but if intel motherboards sported hydra and AMD motherboards did not, Intel would have the clear advantage so AMD would be forced to go the licensing route with Intel and Intel makes out on that deal...
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 4:55:25 PM

jonpaul37 said:
This may be true but if intel motherboards sported hydra and AMD motherboards did not, Intel would have the clear advantage so AMD would be forced to go the licensing route with Intel and Intel makes out on that deal...

AMD would have no reason to get Lucid or license it from intel (if bought), AMD's chipset supports crossfire and NV's works for sli, only if they wanted to mix and match vendors, which is a small market anyways
a c 87 V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 5:05:30 PM

Small Market?????????????
I think 90% of us here itself, forget other forums and their members.... have our cards of both the companies lying around.
And I can bet if we had the money we'd all just love to experiment with this new stuff....
I remember trying to make my first Dual Graphics Rig.....
Yes, I did put in a 6800XT in one slot and a Radeon in the other......
Lol...... it took me One whole day to figure out why the damn things wouldn't work.
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 5:09:05 PM

alyoshka said:
Small Market?????????????
I think 90% of us here itself, forget other forums and their members.... have our cards of both the companies lying around.
And I can bet if we had the money we'd all just love to experiment with this new stuff....
I remember trying to make my first Dual Graphics Rig.....
Yes, I did put in a 6800XT in one slot and a Radeon in the other......
Lol...... it took me One whole day to figure out why the damn things wouldn't work.

yeah, and the people here that like playing with new things and/or have some older cards laying around is a small part of the market

keep in mind mixing cards from different generations is a bad idea since the older card will hardly have any performance to add to the newer card while also limiting newer features like DX11 (or 10) since the mix would be running as the lowest common denominator
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 5:16:01 PM

mindless728 said:
yeah, and the people here that like playing with new things and/or have some older cards laying around is a small part of the market

keep in mind mixing cards from different generations is a bad idea since the older card will hardly have any performance to add to the newer card while also limiting newer features like DX11 (or 10) since the mix would be running as the lowest common denominator

If it is such a small part of the market than why does it exist?

Also, if i was able to scale a GTX 480 with my HD 5870, i would, a thousand times over as opposed to having to crossfire two 5870's or paying too much for two GTX 480's.

This would also eliminate the "physx with ATI card" issue.
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 5:19:00 PM

jonpaul37 said:
If it is such a small part of the market that why does it exist?

Also, if i was able to scale a GTX 480 with my HD 5870, i would, a thousand times over as opposed to having to crossfire two 5870's and paying too much for two GTX 480's.

This would also eliminate the "physx with ATI card" issue.

it wouldn't eliminate the physx with the ATI issue since the cards can only use what they both have, ie ati with nv, you lose physX, DX10 with DX11, you lose X11 (can only use DX10)

not to mention the slight difference in IQ and between the ati and NV cards can cause some issues (ie they use slightly different algorithms)
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 5:33:14 PM

mindless728 said:
it wouldn't eliminate the physx with the ATI issue since the cards can only use what they both have, ie ati with nv, you lose physX, DX10 with DX11, you lose X11 (can only use DX10)

not to mention the slight difference in IQ and between the ati and NV cards can cause some issues (ie they use slightly different algorithms)

I completely understand that it is like this now but i was talking in terms of the likes of Intel taking over Hydra and perfecting it. (like they like to do with other technologies *cough true quad core) If Intel bought lucidLogic, they would surely find ways to improve the technology.
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 5:36:32 PM

jonpaul37 said:
I completely understand that it is like this now but i was talking in terms of the likes of Intel taking over Hydra and perfecting it. (like they like to do with other technologies *cough true quad core) If Intel bought lucidLogic, they would surely find ways to improve the technology.

yes they could improve it and get the same (or maybe better) scaling with multi-gpu's, but they can't get around the fact that ATI cards can't do PhysX (or anything CUDA related) and older gen cards can't use new features (like DX10/11)

EDIT: even if it was perfected, it still wouldn't affect AMD any because a majority of people would still use one vendor or the other (not both), and the AMD or NV chipset does that just fine which leads this to be on an intel platform where like i said, they already control the chipset market
May 19, 2010 11:08:46 AM

I will buy. In fact i am waiting for Asus and MSI AM3 hydra motherboards to appear in the market to upgrade. Well but I have a special case. I will never go for Xfire or SLI in the future. I follow graphics cards a little bit late not to pay first adopters fee. With hydra I can use the older card in my system whatever the performance gain is. And you can always turn hydra off if you want physx or DX11
!