Acer 1501 LMi Woes.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 11, 2004 2:27:33 PM

Hi,

I have a 1501 LMi laptop and my initial enthusiasm for the machine has been
replaced with disappointment. Just about EVERY 3D application I've tried so
far has the same problem: polygons missing or flickering in and out of
existence on certain surfaces.

I mailed Acer tech support but all they said was "looks like a driver issue,
there are no planned updates to the existing drivers". Pretty cr@appy
response! Right now I feel like throwing the thing in the junk - I bought
this laptop ad a desktop replacement, all the reviews I read said it played
UT 2004 fine. Could this be my first and last Acer ever?

The applications I have tried are:
- the mobility radeon demos from the ATI site (that's right folks it won't
even run applications written specifically for the mobility radeon).
- unreal tournament 2004 demo
- starwars galaxies
- theif deadly shadows demo

Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just my machine?
If it's not just my machine is there any way of getting round it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Julian R. Hirst

--
Julian R. Hirst

Tel. 0870 748 0402
Mob. 07838 119 330

More about : acer 1501 lmi woes

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 11, 2004 2:27:34 PM

"Woohoo" <news@nofixedabode.syol.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I have a 1501 LMi laptop and my initial enthusiasm for the machine has
> been replaced with disappointment. Just about EVERY 3D application
> I've tried so far has the same problem: polygons missing or flickering
> in and out of existence on certain surfaces.
>
> I mailed Acer tech support but all they said was "looks like a driver
> issue, there are no planned updates to the existing drivers". Pretty
> cr@appy response! Right now I feel like throwing the thing in the junk
> - I bought this laptop ad a desktop replacement, all the reviews I
> read said it played UT 2004 fine. Could this be my first and last Acer
> ever?
>
> The applications I have tried are:
> - the mobility radeon demos from the ATI site (that's right folks it
> won't even run applications written specifically for the mobility
> radeon). - unreal tournament 2004 demo
> - starwars galaxies
> - theif deadly shadows demo
>
> Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just my machine?
> If it's not just my machine is there any way of getting round it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

For the latest driver go here: http://www.driverheaven.net
Look for Omega driver set there.

I highly recommend checking your main memory in laptop: www.memtest86.com
has a downloadable CD image from which you can boot and run tests.
To me, main RAM is the primary suspect (specifically its part allocated
for AGP aperture).

Although some of the games/demos above may be fine with DirectX 8.1 and
OpenGL, make sure you have DirectX 9 installed.

Not specifically 1501 LMi, but I have two Acer laptops running here, and
both are pleasure to use... But things happen, and if neither of the
above helps, it may be the hardware problem with graphics chip in your
laptop.

Someone might suggest other things to check.

Alexei
!