My acer laptop is stuck on installing cleanup

mine did that (acer 5820t)

i presume you mean the cleanup it does after it installed everything when you restore it from the recovery partition?

after an hour of it stuck at cleaning up i just held down the power button to turn it off

it turned back on ok and i had no problems with it

rapsy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
My acer 5733 is stuck on installing cleanup after recovery. When I turn it off and back on again with the power button it only resumes installing cleanup immediatly after the desktop is shown on the screen. What can I do about this?

feralfreak

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012

im having this exact problem on my acer aspire x1430, and i cant get any help from the tech support, they just say "buy our copies of the erecovery discs" which is useless, as useless as they seem to be. did you happen to find a fix for this problem? im thinking there has to be a registry key or something, like when it was stuck on "setup is starting services" and i was told by a buddy to hit shift f10 and go to a place in the registry, change a value and it moved up to where it is stuck now, if you have a fix please email me at loganadam at juno dot com

feralfreak

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
ive managed to get past (passed?) my problem on my acer x1430 desktop, and as usual acer was no help whatsoever and they dont even read the messages sent to them asking for help(i said in a message that i used my recovery discs and i had the problem of "setup is starting services" screen freezing and not moving forward and they acted like i never made any at all, tried to sell me copies of what i made already! learn to read already, acer!),

what i did for that screen of "installing cleanup" is i rebooted and when it got to the screen of setup is starting services" i hit shift f10 and it brought up a command prompt, and i typed msconfig(yeah it will work even on the c:\windows\system32> thingy, and i disabled alaunchx in the startup tab, rebooted, that didnt do it because when it got stuck again i got back in that msconfig and looked, it put it back, so i went into the services tab and disabled (unchecked) anything from acer and then back in the startup tab and unchecked alaunchx (again), and that worked for me,

and for anyone who is stuck on the "setup is starting services" screen, i got into the registry by hitting shift f10, typing "regedit" and going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and highlighting childcompletion, and double clicking the setup.exe file, changing the value from 1 to 3, exit out of that and the command prompt and you might get a dialog box saying somet stuff about rebooting or something, if you get it do what it says, if you dont get any box, power down and back on, it worked for me, and i was surprised that it let me continue

Raikoryu

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi all,

The solution given above is quite complicated, here's what worked for me:

- If touchpad does not respond, use a USB mouse
- When on the screen of the blocked software, hit Ctrl + Alt + Del until page suggesting to open the Task Manager appears
- Open the Task Manager. The annoying software pops-up in front immediately thereafter.
- Hit Alt + F4 as many times as needed until the software is gone.
- Go to regedit and search (menu Edit > Find) for every folder or key with "alaunchx" in value. Delete everything you find (each time you delete one, hit F3 key to "find next"), until the search gives no more results using F3 key.

Beginners: Please be aware of what you're doing!

- Reboot your computer. Everything should be fine now.

mgp999

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This was the ONLY thing that worked for me. After restoring my computer, it hung on cleanup 36/37 no matter what I tried! I managed to reboot into "safe mode directory services repair" and then tried your solution and it worked!!! Yay!!