elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I was thinking about picking up newegg's shellshocker deal on this psu.
Etasis ET750

I did a quick search for reviews and read a good review about it on overclock3d.net.

Has anyone had any experience with this psu or brand?

It will be powering a Phenom x3 720be unlocked and possibly overclocked, 2+ hardrives, DVD burner a few fans and 1 5770 (maybe 2 in the future).

The power supply is not a well known name among gamers and enthusiasts in the USA. For the most part the Taiwanese company seems to concentrate on power supplies for commercial rackmount servers.

According to the technical specifications the Etasis ET750 has +12 volt rail(s) rated at 60 amps total. If it is a fairly good quality unit it should be able to handle an overclocked system with two ATI Radeon HD 5770 video cards in Crossfire mode.

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

Did your ET750 come with all the spec connectors?

Mine had a 2x3 6-pin in lieu of the 4-pin;, and only 6 Sata/ 6 Molex, but 2 FDD connectors. The rest were correct.

I'll exchange it if I don't expect the same setup in return.

Thanks

fdimegli

elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Yeah, mine was the same. I don't have a problem with it though as I'll be using the 8 pin connector and don't plan on using all the Sata and molex connectors anyway. I'll be installing it tonight so as long as it works fine I'll be keeping it.

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

Thanks for your reply, elpaletero.

Someone else ordered 3 units and they were the same.

Let us know how yours works.

Thanks again

fdimegli

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

What I've seen so far:
1- Some Dell systems need a 6-pin motherboard connector (that makes it more like you need Dell to upgrade).
2- Some older systems needed a 6-pin auxilliary. both the 1x6 or the 2x3 kinds

In either case I have not found pinouts yet.

fdimegli

mervin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I have no idea what you mean when you say 2x3 6pin? You mean you have 6, 6 pin connectors? I have the exact same power supply and mine has a single 4 pin connector.

6 pin auxilliary connector is described in the review of the Silverstone I posted above.
I had to replace 2 power supplies the morning after this deal so I was kicking myself for not jumping in on it, but personally, I probably would have sent it back for not being as described.

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

There are 2 types of physical 6-pin connector forms. One is the PCIE type with 2 rows of 3 pins. The other is a single row of 6 pins. The old 6-pin auxilliary was this latter type.

The 6-pin my shell shocker unit has in place of the 4-pin ATX connector looks like the +12v PCIE type but has different wiring pinouts including the other voltages.

fdimegli

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

Thanks delluser1 for pointing out the EPS 12v 6-pin connector in that review.

Do you know what it is used for besides adapting to PCIE connectors?

mervin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Gotcha! Actually, right after I logged off yesterday I figured that is what you meant. I bought the same power supply during new eggs's shellshocker sale last week. However, mine DID come with a 4 pin ATX connector. I guess I am the only one who got one because I've been reading around and everyone else seems to have gotten screwed. However, I too only have 6 sata connectors.

I actually called newegg today and complained to them about the misadvertisement. The gal I talked to said it was Etasis's fault because they're the ones who send in the product descriptions. Newegg just lists the product description the manufacturer sends them, they don't open the package to verify anything. I personally don't have a problem with the power supply so I am keeping it.

By the way guys, has anyone looked at the advertisement Tigerdirect is running for this power supply? Am I missing something or does their description seem misleading? It shows that 8 pin PCI-e connector as being 2 separable 4 pin ATX connectors.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2874959&CatId=2533

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

I think the lower advertisement is just generic PSU data. It also shows a 20+4 pin connector but the unit has a solid 24 pin connector.

And the picture of the manual has color art on the cover. Mine is plain white. The pictures are probably of the unit as it was in 2006 when blue sleeves were on the PCIE connectors. Things change when another company takes part (Diablotek.)

mervin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

So are you keeping yours or are you sending it back? I'd definitely send a bitchy email to Etasis regardless. Bitchy and complaining emails can sometimes land you free stuff. :)

fdimegli

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

I'm keeping it because I'm using the 24-pin and 8-pin and not the 4-pin. The 6 Sata are enough for me. And others are using it successfully.

I had called Diablotek a few days ago. They said they would try to get some info on the unit!? BUT of course no answer is yet forthcoming.

You would think that as the distributer they would have the info available. They must of been the suppliers to Newegg.

mervin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Maybe I should have called them directly. I went to the Etasis website and emailed their office in the US. The only thing I griped about was the fact they the power supply advertised 8 sata connectors, but only came with 6. I never got a response. Maybe I should have directed my complaints ot Diablotek instead.