Sign in with
Your question

[CPUs] Intel I5 2500k - asrock extreme3 generation3

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2012 12:23:29 AM

Ok, I've searched and searched the interwebs for a stable 4.5-4.6ghz 24/7 overclock for my specific mobo/cpu.
I've tried peoples "working/stable" settings but everytime I always get a bsod or the computer wont start up and I suspect it is the voltages... Could someone get me a good 4.5/4.6 overclock with the latest 1.3 bios update for this mobo
a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 2:56:23 AM

What works for one person will not work for others, each cpu has different limits. You shouldn't need to change anything but multiplier and vcore. So reset the settings, change the multi to 45 and try a vcore of 1.3 or offset +.05. If it bsod, increase until it doesn't. But don't go over 1.4 and watch those temps when you stability test.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 3:14:51 AM

my ex3gen3 had some voltage regulation issues on the Ram that caused instability issues at even stock speeds, so it very well can be a board issue.
m
l
February 26, 2012 3:24:21 AM

This is what I use:

Advanced Turbo 50 - Disabled

Load Optimized CPU OC Setting - Disabled

CPU Ratio Setting - Manual
Max Ratio - 45 (you change it to what you want)

Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled

Intel SpeedStep Technology - Enabled

Turbo Boost Power Limit - Manual
Short Duration Power Limit (W) - 230
Long Duration Power Limit (W) - 200
Long Duration Maintained (Sec.) - 1

Additional Turbo Voltage - Auto

Core Current Limit - 230

Host Clock Override (BLCK) - 100.0 MHz

Spread Spectrum - Disabled

(Left DRAM settings at default for now)

Power Saving Mode - Disabled

CPU Core Voltage - Offset Mode
Offset Voltage - +0.050V

CPU Load-Line Calibration - Level 4

DRAM Voltage - Auto

PCH Voltage - Auto

CPU PLL Voltage - 1.750V

VTT Voltage - Auto

VCCSA Voltage - Auto

I haven't had any problems so far so I hope it works for you too :) 

By the way, here's the video where I got it from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e04-5hjk-I
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 3:49:24 PM

You don't want to trust some kid off youtube but those other settings won't do anything at this speed. With llc level 4, you may have a bit high voltage.
m
l
February 26, 2012 4:16:31 PM

k1114 said:
You don't want to just some kid off youtube but those other settings won't do anything at this speed. With llc level 4, you may have a bit high voltage.
My system's been completely stable with these settings (yes I ran prime95 for 24+ hrs). I also have done rendering at full load for 72+ hrs; no problems whatsoever, and temps never exceeded 70c. Plus, my voltage is not that high right now (1.32v). But that not may work for everyone. It worked for me, so he can atleast give it a shot.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
a c 231 K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 5:33:17 PM

fxdoggy said:
Ok, I've searched and searched the interwebs for a stable 4.5-4.6ghz 24/7 overclock for my specific mobo/cpu.
I've tried peoples "working/stable" settings but everytime I always get a bsod or the computer wont start up and I suspect it is the voltages... Could someone get me a good 4.5/4.6 overclock with the latest 1.3 bios update for this mobo

The only way to accurately advise you is if you list your specs in detail and the BIOS settings you're attempting to use, otherwise suggestions to you are just shots in the dark and will not get you anywhere.

m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
a c 231 K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 5:43:52 PM

yougotjaked said:
My system's been completely stable with these settings (yes I ran prime95 for 24+ hrs). I also have done rendering at full load for 72+ hrs; no problems whatsoever, and temps never exceeded 70c. Plus, my voltage is not that high right now (1.32v). But that not may work for everyone. It worked for me, so he can atleast give it a shot.

According to your sig you have the same motherboard but a 2600K @ 4.5ghz, the 2500K does not overclock the same as the 2600K does, your suggestions may work, or they may be completely out of the ballpark, so giving him solid setting suggestions may be completely wrong for the 2500K.

Just simply having the extra 2mb cache on your CPU changes the playing field considerably, you may want to keep that in mind because you should be able to run 4500mhz at lower voltage than he can with his 2500K anyway.

There's no harm in him trying your suggestions it's not like anything is etched in stone, but he seems pretty frustrated as is, but there's just so much anyone can do to help the guy with no more information than provided.
m
l
February 26, 2012 6:59:10 PM

4Ryan6 said:
According to your sig you have the same motherboard but a 2600K @ 4.5ghz, the 2500K does not overclock the same as the 2600K does, your suggestions may work, or they may be completely out of the ballpark, so giving him solid setting suggestions may be completely wrong for the 2500K.

Just simply having the extra 2mb cache on your CPU changes the playing field considerably, you may want to keep that in mind because you should be able to run 4500mhz at lower voltage than he can with his 2500K anyway.

There's no harm in him trying your suggestions it's not like anything is etched in stone, but he seems pretty frustrated as is, but there's just so much anyone can do to help the guy with no more information than provided.
Yes I realize that the 2500k and 2600k overclock slightly differently. However, people using 2500k, according to the comments, have had success using the same settings. Of course, he could bump up the voltage to let's say, 1.36v.

And yeah I know OCing is not a black and white answer. People need to adjust it on their own to see what works. OP could start off raising the vcore and if that fails, he could tweak around with some other settings. It would be helpful if OP gave us a little more information though...
m
l
!