RiouxYz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I shopping for a new computer, for gaming, and I want to know what is the best solution for my Storage drive.

-> Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591&Tpk=Seagate%20ssd%20hybrid)

OR

-> Intel Smart Reponse (Z68 chipset) with Kingston SSDNow V Series 30Gb

thanks

Solution
In your initial post you only mentioned gaming. You did not mention photo editing or other applications. Best bet is to purchase an ssd of sufficient capacity to install Windows 7, your photo editing applications, other applications, and utilities. No need to fool around with hybrid drives that do not perform as well as ssd's. Also no need to fool around with SRT which also does not perform as well as an ssd.

For example, I have the Kingston ssdNOW 100V+ 96GB ssd. I purchased it when newegg had it on sale for $99.99 and free shipping. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64, Internet Explorer, Adobe Photoshop products, some additional photo editing utilities, Microsoft Office Suite, Iolo System Mechanic Pro, Note Tab Pro, Cute FTP Pro, and a few...

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hard drive speed does not affect gaming much. The only difference between a fast hard drive and a slow hard drive would be loading times between levels. FPS will not be affected by hard drive speed. You probably wouldn't see much of a gaming difference between a cached drive and a 7200rpm 1TB standard HDD.

^5 +1 what danraies said.

Hybrid drives, Intel SRT, and SSD's do not do very much for actual game play and will not improve FPS. The only thing that happens is that the game will launch faster and levels, maps, or charts will load faster. If you participate in online gaming, then hybrid drives, Intel SRT, and SSD's will not improve anything. You'll still be at the mercy of your Internet Service Provider.

A few weeks ago Tom's Hardware published "SSD Performance In Crysis 2, World Of Warcraft, And Civilization V". It is an analysis of ssd's and gameplay. Here is the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991.html

RiouxYz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I know that, but I also want to speed up my boot time and my photo editing...

In your initial post you only mentioned gaming. You did not mention photo editing or other applications. Best bet is to purchase an ssd of sufficient capacity to install Windows 7, your photo editing applications, other applications, and utilities. No need to fool around with hybrid drives that do not perform as well as ssd's. Also no need to fool around with SRT which also does not perform as well as an ssd.

For example, I have the Kingston ssdNOW 100V+ 96GB ssd. I purchased it when newegg had it on sale for $99.99 and free shipping. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64, Internet Explorer, Adobe Photoshop products, some additional photo editing utilities, Microsoft Office Suite, Iolo System Mechanic Pro, Note Tab Pro, Cute FTP Pro, and a few more utilities.

Windows 7 Pro 64 plus all the updates take up a little over 21GB. With all of the other applications and utilities the grand total is almost 31GB. I still have a little over 60GB of free space on the ssd. I use my old hard disk drive to store raw images and finished photos.

In your case you could use the extra ssd capacity to install your most favorite games. If you have a lot of games you could store the rest on a hard disk drive. You can easily swap games between the ssd and the hard drive.

Use the ssd to gain maximum performance instead of settling for something less.

Solution

RiouxYz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
thanks for your answer !