mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
hi, first time overclocking and looking to overclock the gtx 560 to hopefully make it comparable to something a tad pricier (mayb the 570?) i have been reading this article/ review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_gtx560_oc/4.htm

they seem to think a safe overclock is 910Mhz on the core and 1125 on the memory. I am getting the gigabyte version and the cooling on these seem to be pretty good from what is said in that article. stock voltage is 0.975 for the core, they achieved the above results without increasing the core voltage. has anyone raised the stock voltage above that, and what sort of overclock are you achieving with this card? I wouldnt feel comfortable exceeding 80 degrees in game. thanks!!

Solution
With modern videocards, you cant damage them from overclocking them too high.

With the geforce 8 series and above, if you overclock too far, instead of the driver crashing, it will detect it's own instability then downclock to it's low power state (boot state) (in your case, around 405MHz )

if you just push it to a clock speed that is just way too high, then the card will basically shut down (both of these responses will require a system restart to restore normal function.

With the gtx 560, do not be afraid to increase the voltage, the cards have factory set voltage limits that the manufacture feels is safe. (generally allows for close to 0.1V more to the GPU)

The GTX 560 does not hit 80C unless you are running a game that...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
With modern videocards, you cant damage them from overclocking them too high.

With the geforce 8 series and above, if you overclock too far, instead of the driver crashing, it will detect it's own instability then downclock to it's low power state (boot state) (in your case, around 405MHz )

if you just push it to a clock speed that is just way too high, then the card will basically shut down (both of these responses will require a system restart to restore normal function.

With the gtx 560, do not be afraid to increase the voltage, the cards have factory set voltage limits that the manufacture feels is safe. (generally allows for close to 0.1V more to the GPU)

The GTX 560 does not hit 80C unless you are running a game that constantly holds the GPU usage in the 90%+ range.

(PS 80C is perfectly safe for the GTX 560 )

I regularly build gaming PC's for people and for the gtx 400 series and above, I do a small voltage bump using msi afterburner (it will not allow you to select an unsafe voltage as it follows the manufacture limits for the specific card listed in the bios)

Eg for the GTX 460, I use 1.050v and 840-850MHz

For a gtx 560 1.1V and 900-925MHz is generally stable for most cards (at stock voltage, not many 560's can actually hit 910MHz like in the benchmark you linked to)

PS the only time when the voltage increases begins to get dangerous, is when you modify the videocards bios to increase the voltage limit like pictured below. When you go past the factory set limits, you begin to run into cooling issues

Vrkq5.jpg

tldr: you can push the voltage to 1.1V with no problem

Solution

madmadmad

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers so please bear with me. I have a GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB. Is the above statement still true when talking about mobile cards?

Also, sometimes when I'm gaming my laptop gets really hot then theres a frame rate drop and after a little bit it cools down and the frame rate jumps back up. Could my system be overheating and can someone recommend a good (user friendly) program to test my CPU and GPU temps?

Really appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys

Specs if they're helpful:

Intel Core i-7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB
12GB DDR3
Windows 7 64bit

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
not 100% sure about the mobile GPU in terms of boosting the voltage, but overclocking on stock voltage is the same.

For many nvidia GPU's there is a core slowdown temperature (generally around 100C where the clock speed may drop by half and if the temperature goes like 5+ C hotter then it does a thermal shutdown. (For the GTX 560, the core slows down at 104 C

I recommend checking your temperatures. (PS with gaming laptops, you must clean the heatsinks more often than with non gaming laptops, brand new they run pretty close to their thermal limit so dust can easily push them over that limit. For my laptop, I use a vacuum cleaner's hose to suck out dust from the bottom vents. (if the dust is not caked on, it gets rid of pretty much all of it. (you can also used compressed air but it does not do as good of a job. ( I clean mine once a month) (2 years so far and no issues and temperatures are just like when it was new)

For checking gpu temperatures, the most user friendly program that i can think of is GPU-Z http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

madmadmad

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Thanks so much for the speedy reply razor512. I'll check out the program now and as far as dust being a problem I doubt it because my laptops only about 2 months old.

Also, do you know were I might find some info on the mobile versions?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
put a check mark in the box for it to refresh in the background, then leave the program running.

Then play a game for a while until you notice the slowdown, the moment you notice it, then do an alt tab to get out of the game quickly and into GPU-Z before it has a chance to cool, then check what temperature you are getting. if it is in the upper 90 C's (eg 98 C) then that may be your problem. If it is in the 70-80 C area then the slowdown may be some running process intermittently using additional CPU time.

Is your GPU temperature is too hot then you may need something like a cooling pad, or check if the company that made the laptop has a forum where you can search for temperatures posted by other users.

In GPU-Z you should see a window like this

ZJfh1.jpg

madmadmad

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Okay so I played a round or two or battlefield 3 and averaged between 90-93* experiencing a slight drop in frame rate during large explosions when it hit 93* My GPU load was constantly sitting at 99% though. Would I benefit from overclocking? And would I definitely need a cooling pad if I do?

Is there a program like this to test my CPU temps as well?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
hard, to tell, sometimes you can get up to a 3-5C drop in temperature if the clearance on the bottom of the laptop is poor and you add a cooling pad.

if none of your cores are slowing down then the issue may be a software issue.

ianlink

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
i have a ztoac gtx 560 modified with prolimatech mk-26 vga cooler and run with no issue

then after a while i use msi afterburner and set core voltage to 1100 and core clock 900 and mem clock 2100

and i run the furmark with in 3 minutes the temp is 65c and the pc automatic shut down , when i turn it on again it doesnt turning on ,i try to put the vga
on the onboard graphic and remove the 6 pin cable on the gpu and it boot up using the built in video card and i see my video card's fan is turning on without the 6 pin
and when i put the 6 pin and boot it again it's not working and i try to test it again to use the video card, when i turn it on the gpu's fan is turning within 2 sec's and not booting the whole unit

i use a tru rated 600w psu

i try to check the gpu there is no burn mark's or any damage and any electric or chip burn mark

please help :)