Solved

CD/DVD drive Problems

My CD/DVD Drive has recently completely stopped reading and writing all disc types. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, checked all connections inside the case, and i have tried editing the registry. I am running this drive with windows vista.

I am starting to assume this drive is broken, and i am wondering if there is anything else i could do totry and fix my drive?

thanks

Jamie
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about drive problems
  1. Best answer
    dude 30 bucks for a new sata drive, its not like its a CPU or anything, just spring for a new one.
  2. true but im very short on cash, i wanna try to slavage it if possible
  3. You could try one of those CD-DVD cleaning kits on the market for $2-$5. Dirt cheap and may be able to clean the lens.
  4. darkguset said:
    You could try one of those CD-DVD cleaning kits on the market for $2-$5. Dirt cheap and may be able to clean the lens.

    i might try that thanks :]
  5. CD/DVD drive problems are usually caused by dust bunnies on the read/write led. Open the tray and look inside. If you see dust, blow it out.
  6. Ummm...does it show up in 'Windows Explorer' at all?
  7. Quote:
    First you should try & test the unit outside of windoze, so as to eliminate s/w issues as much as we can - if you look at the sticky a top this forum, you want to try the 'cd boot test', if you machine can be sucessfully booted from a windows system cd, then your unit is probably ok, or it should read in windoze at least.

    I haven't tried that yet, i'll try it and get back to you
    thanks for your reply :]
  8. rsmith13 said:
    CD/DVD drive problems are usually caused by dust bunnies on the read/write led. Open the tray and look inside. If you see dust, blow it out.

    Ill try that also with udtek_adapter's suggestion and i'll get back to you
    thanks for your help :]
  9. elmo2006 said:
    Ummm...does it show up in 'Windows Explorer' at all?

    yes and it says it is working correctly
    thanks :]
  10. Have you recently installed any games that use Securom copy protection ?? - if so could be a conflict with it - try downloading and running the securom uninstaller and see if that helps.
  11. JDFan said:
    Have you recently installed any games that use Securom copy protection ?? - if so could be a conflict with it - try downloading and running the securom uninstaller and see if that helps.

    No there are no games installed on my pc. I burnt a cd with the drive, and that was the last thing i did with the drive, after that i haven't been able to read or write cds or dvds.

    thanks for the suggestion. :]
  12. rsmith13 said:
    CD/DVD drive problems are usually caused by dust bunnies on the read/write led. Open the tray and look inside. If you see dust, blow it out.

    I tried cleaning the read/write lens. Its still not working
  13. Try removing the device in the device manager and then restart the system and see if it finds it as new hardware and reinstalls it.
  14. ok guys i 've got this problem fixed, i've tried everything known to man to fix it and the drive just went bad. So thank you to everyone who gave advice :D
  15. No worries, get a new one and off you go!
  16. I did just that today :] and w're good to go again :D
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives CD-Rom Components