Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CD/DVD drive Problems

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2010 9:16:07 PM

My CD/DVD Drive has recently completely stopped reading and writing all disc types. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, checked all connections inside the case, and i have tried editing the registry. I am running this drive with windows vista.

I am starting to assume this drive is broken, and i am wondering if there is anything else i could do totry and fix my drive?

thanks

Jamie

More about : dvd drive problems

Best solution

January 13, 2010 9:25:06 PM

dude 30 bucks for a new sata drive, its not like its a CPU or anything, just spring for a new one.
January 13, 2010 9:27:38 PM

true but im very short on cash, i wanna try to slavage it if possible
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2010 12:33:26 AM

You could try one of those CD-DVD cleaning kits on the market for $2-$5. Dirt cheap and may be able to clean the lens.
m
l
January 14, 2010 12:45:59 AM

darkguset said:
You could try one of those CD-DVD cleaning kits on the market for $2-$5. Dirt cheap and may be able to clean the lens.

i might try that thanks :]
m
l
January 14, 2010 3:46:14 PM

CD/DVD drive problems are usually caused by dust bunnies on the read/write led. Open the tray and look inside. If you see dust, blow it out.
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:01:40 PM

Ummm...does it show up in 'Windows Explorer' at all?
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:32:30 PM

Quote:
First you should try & test the unit outside of windoze, so as to eliminate s/w issues as much as we can - if you look at the sticky a top this forum, you want to try the 'cd boot test', if you machine can be sucessfully booted from a windows system cd, then your unit is probably ok, or it should read in windoze at least.

I haven't tried that yet, i'll try it and get back to you
thanks for your reply :]
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:34:01 PM

rsmith13 said:
CD/DVD drive problems are usually caused by dust bunnies on the read/write led. Open the tray and look inside. If you see dust, blow it out.

Ill try that also with udtek_adapter's suggestion and i'll get back to you
thanks for your help :]
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:34:57 PM

elmo2006 said:
Ummm...does it show up in 'Windows Explorer' at all?

yes and it says it is working correctly
m
l
January 14, 2010 5:19:55 PM

Have you recently installed any games that use Securom copy protection ?? - if so could be a conflict with it - try downloading and running the securom uninstaller and see if that helps.
m
l
January 14, 2010 5:49:24 PM

JDFan said:
Have you recently installed any games that use Securom copy protection ?? - if so could be a conflict with it - try downloading and running the securom uninstaller and see if that helps.

No there are no games installed on my pc. I burnt a cd with the drive, and that was the last thing i did with the drive, after that i haven't been able to read or write cds or dvds.

thanks for the suggestion. :]
m
l
January 14, 2010 11:50:11 PM

rsmith13 said:

I tried cleaning the read/write lens. Its still not working
m
l
January 15, 2010 1:40:43 PM

Try removing the device in the device manager and then restart the system and see if it finds it as new hardware and reinstalls it.
m
l
January 18, 2010 4:56:37 PM

ok guys i 've got this problem fixed, i've tried everything known to man to fix it and the drive just went bad. So thank you to everyone who gave advice :D 
m
l
January 18, 2010 10:03:31 PM

No worries, get a new one and off you go!
m
l
January 19, 2010 12:48:22 AM

I did just that today :] and w're good to go again :D 
m
l
!