Windows 7 Recognize SSD as an SSD

jhedden

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I have been searching and searching forums for weeks now and am getting very frustrated. I have a new build with Windows 7 64 bit. I have an Intel SataIII 120 GB that runs Windows 7. The drive is connected to the integrated controller on the Gigabyte z68xp ud3 mobo and in the bios the Sata port is set to ACHI. I have no problems installing Windows 7 to the drive, however, Windows 7 does not recognize the drive as an SSD (since the drive shows up as an option to defrag). I have two HDD's which operate in RAID 1...no issues there but just wanted to note it (they are on a separate Marvell Controller). Also I have the optical drive on the same controller as the SSD.

So...my question...how the heck can I get Windows 7 to automatically recognize the Intel SSD as a solid state drive and not just another spinning disk hard drive?

Solution
Do this:

Click "Start", type "Defrag" into the search box, and hit <Enter>

Does the partition on your SSD show up in the "Current Status" list? If so, this is normal. The current status list shows the last time the fragmentation on the disk was analyzed. Just because the SSD is on this list it does not mean the system will defragement it.

Now do this:

Click the "Configure Schedule" button
Click the "Select disks..." button.

Your SSD should not show up on the list of disks which can be chosen for defragmenting. Does it?
Do this:

Click "Start", type "Defrag" into the search box, and hit <Enter>

Does the partition on your SSD show up in the "Current Status" list? If so, this is normal. The current status list shows the last time the fragmentation on the disk was analyzed. Just because the SSD is on this list it does not mean the system will defragement it.

Now do this:

Click the "Configure Schedule" button
Click the "Select disks..." button.

Your SSD should not show up on the list of disks which can be chosen for defragmenting. Does it?

Solution

jhedden

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
You are right, it does not show in the scheduler. It is odd though that Superfetch was setup as "manual" and not disabled. Would that indicate the SSD is not recognized? I feel better about the defrag recognition though.

jhedden

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I just tried to see if Trim is working but when I type in the command at Start (fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify) a DOS screen pops up and disappears in the blink of an eye. Is there another way to view this? Should I go to the registry?

jhedden

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
On the trim question, I may not have been using the correct prompt. I will try it tomorrow and repost what I find...hopefully it will show that it is in trim mode but I thought there was a place where you could schedule when trimming occurs (i.e. weekly, daily, etc.).

Instead of typing the command directly into the start search box, type "cmd" into the search box and hit enter. That will open up a DOS command prompt window - if you type the command into the window you'll be able to see the result.

Note that the disabledeletenotify is turned off (i.e., TRIM is sent) by default on ALL Windows 7 systems whether they have an SSD or not. Thus, this command doesn't really tell you a whole lot. They've provided the ability to suppress TRIM if it turns out that some particular drive chokes on it - but to the best of my knowledge it's never been a problem for any drive.