Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec 1200 Case issues?

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2009 6:28:20 PM

I'm workin on a new build and I had planned on using the Antec 1200 case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But after looking at some toppics about it I'm having doubts. I am putting in 4 Samsung F3 HD's and i'm wondering if I will have room in the case. Possibly if some one already has this case you can answer this, there seems to be an issue with the front fans being in the way. Any info would be great. Thanks!

More about : antec 1200 case issues

October 27, 2009 6:37:12 PM

one other question to add to this, from the looks of the specifications on newegg the fans are included when I buy the case. BUT there is a customer review that says

"TO those STILL complaining about the fans no longer being included, please get over it. "

So does that mean there are no fans?
m
l
October 27, 2009 7:22:29 PM

I have a 900, which has two fan bays that can hold 3 HDDs each. The 1200 has 3 such bays, which leaves 3 slots for external 5.25inch drives/DVD/etc.

One bay has an OPTIONAL (removable) plastic bracket to mount an extra internal fan which turns that bay into a push/pull draggin air from the front to the back components. That bracket prevents HDDs from being installed in that one bay.

All three bays are moveable so you can put your DVD/Blueray at the bottom and move the fan/bays up to pull front air over the RAM to the CPU and you can then stash the extra power supply cables on the floor of the case under the DVD/Blueray.

The specs on newegg indicate that all 6 fans it normally comes with are still there. As does antecs website so I would discount that reviewer.
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Njkz
The reviews on newegg are not generally reliable as many are either fake (fanbois/haters) or people who probably shouldnt be building their own PCs. *edit - Kufan found the fan reference
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2009 7:26:16 PM

If I did it like you said here

"All three bays are moveable so you can put your DVD/Blueray at the bottom and move the fan/bays up to pull front air over the RAM to the CPU and you can then stash the extra power supply cables on the floor of the case under the DVD/Blueray."

would that leave room for the 4HD's in the middle of the case?
m
l
October 27, 2009 7:28:51 PM

The thing about the fans can be explained by this user's review (or rant) on newegg:

Quote:
Only select boxes of the Antec 1200 received extra fans because those cases had possibly faulty fans mounted within them. I recently received this from an Antec representative explaining why my 1200 had not come with those optional fans:

"It has come to our attention that recent production of Tri-Cool fans may suffer from a minor defect in the speed control that prevents some units from working properly at the low speed setting. As the problem was discovered in post-production Quality Control there is no way to determine precisely which units suffer from this issue without opening and testing tens of thousands of cases. So, in the interest of customer service and satisfaction, Antec has included a complete set of new, fully tested Tri-Cool fans with this case, free of charge.

If any of your pre-installed fans suffer a performance problem, you can simply replace it with one of the units"

He then finished up his email to me:

"We’ve since corrected the problem, so the need to include extra fans is no longer required."

He then proceded to link me to where I can purchase them off of their site for TWENTY DOLLARS A POP! So post shipping $50+ to complete my matching fan setup... slap in the face considering you can get their clear counterparts off of here for 10 bucks each plus the shipping, so ~$20ish cheaper.

Take the reviews on newegg with a grain of salt. Most of the users don't know what they're talking about. The case WILL come with fans, just not extra ones.

m
l
October 27, 2009 7:31:14 PM

Sweet! that explains alot^^ thanks for the info.
m
l

Best solution

October 27, 2009 7:33:00 PM

Dewm said:
If I did it like you said here

"All three bays are moveable so you can put your DVD/Blueray at the bottom and move the fan/bays up to pull front air over the RAM to the CPU and you can then stash the extra power supply cables on the floor of the case under the DVD/Blueray."

would that leave room for the 4HD's in the middle of the case?

It would leave room for 9 HDDs (3 bays, 3HDDs each - if you take the optional fan bracket off of one bay). This is one of the biggest, best airflow cases available. If your stuff wont fit in this case, its not going to fit in any case.
October 27, 2009 7:39:44 PM

^seconded
m
l
October 27, 2009 7:45:20 PM

Thanks for the help so much, I had doubts but they are gone now! :D 

(guess i'm going to start ordering the system tomorrow) deffinitly exited.
m
l
October 27, 2009 7:54:32 PM

Post back when you have it all installed. Remember to move those drive bays around and use them as air intakes for your other components (ram/cpu/gpu), they dont have to stay on the bottom 9 drive slots.
m
l
!