Jason772

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Simple question yet no answers it directly or clearly.
I do not run multiple programs, or many applications, simpy one task
at a time BUT most of the time that task is a video game of epic
proportion at maximum settings. So what is best for me? Keep in mind
i play recent games. Do i get a quad? i7? duo?

The absolute best processor for gaming is the i7 975EE, but thats way out of most peoples budget which is why its not a question that can be answered simply. What games do you play? Whats your budget? How many video cards do you plan to run?

If you want to run GTA IV a quad is absolutely necessary, but most games are just fine with a fast dual core, if you are on a tight budget something like one of the new athlon IIs would do, if you have a higher budget an i7, i5, or Phenom II x4 would all perform similarly.

Remember that the level of settings that you can play at depends on your GPU not your CPU, so even if you have an i7 975 you wouldnt get decent performance at 1920x1200 with a 4670, its about balance and that is very hard to generalize.

----

+1, we need know your budget, manufacturer preference, games that you want play.

Now, with best you can find this options.

1- Intel Xeon E7450. Six-core. 12MB cache L3 Price?: $2,399.00
2- Intel Xeon E7440. Quad-core. 16MB cache L3 Price?: $2,129.99
3- Inte Core i7 975 Extreme Edition. 8MB cache L3 Price?: $ 969.99

You can see the Xeon processors here and the i7 975 here

G

I can almost figure out your warped logic actually. :lol:

Next time you have a brainwave keep it to yourself instead of advising somebody to spend $2k+ on a useless gaming chip.

I can almost figure out your warped logic actually. :lol:

Next time you have a brainwave keep it to yourself instead of advising somebody to spend $2k+ on a useless gaming chip.

---

Think that you want, but maybe he could be the idiot if spend $2K+ on a processor, in any moment said that he must buy the xeon processor, i'm only saying that he need limit the question.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

Game server and gaming have nothing to do with each other at all..
And yes you can make a decent game server with an I7 or a Phenom2...

All a game server needs is a fair CPU, Quad recommended if you run linux and go by virtual servers as not all gaming dedicated server software is multithreaded... depends on games...

The other requirement is upload...

Xeons are usually used by big companies and datacenters. Regular people don't give a damn about a Xeon... I find them quite overrated.

Back to topic
Asus Laptops have not yet let me down

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220668&Tpk=asus%20laptop

It should play EVERYTHING but don't expect a laptop to perform as fast as a desktop... it's not possible.

The i7 processors are the best, in both desktops and laptops.
A laptop with a GTX260M or GTX280M or 5x00M will be able to max out any other game with decent resolutions just fine.
No laptop will play Crysis at VeryHigh at high resolutions with good fps.