8600GTS vs 9800 GT on PCI-E 1.0 ?

G

Hey guys, I was wondering if a 9800GT would run faster than a 8600GTS on a PCI-E 1.0 connection even though it's meant for a 2.0, I know I would lose speed & performance but would it run faster than a 8600GTS? if so, by how much?

TheViper

Distinguished
Being on a PCI-e 1.0 slot won't make a difference at all. No modern card uses the entire bandwidth of a PCi-e 1.0 slot to begin with.

The 9800 GT is still the faster card and you won't lose any perceptible performance on PCI-e 1.0.

G

thanks for the reply, btw if I change GPU, would my PSU be able to handle it?
[currently, my PSU is holding up fine, having no problem with it but according to GPUreviews.com, a 9800GT uses 34W more than 8600GTS during max power draw - which could potentially push my PSU over it's limit]

my specs are:

PSU 430W
intel duel core 2.2GHZ
old mother board [has only one PCI-E 1.0]
vista home 32 bit
3G of ram (2GB x 1 + 1GB x 1 DDR2)
320GB HD

G

sorry for the double post but I forgot to add my 8600GTS PSU to my specs

TheViper

Distinguished
You're going to need a new PSU.

The efficiency is killing your electric bill (just 65%) and the 12v amps (only 14 amps) won't be enough.

Corsair CMPSU-450VX 450W - $49.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

Even if you don't upgrade your graphics card, I highly recommend you upgrade the PSU. You'll save the $49.99 on your electric bill in a year or two at most. And you'll save your system from potential death. And of course give you the upgrade path for your GPU.

G

aww, was hoping to upgrade my psu only, thanks for the heads up.

TheViper

Distinguished
No problem.

You should make that your priority for the time being. I know they are aren't as fun to upgrade as a new GPU or CPU are but the PSU is the most critical component and a poor power supply can fail and take your whole system with it.

G

on second thought, if I do upgrade my PSU, I'll get a 3870 instead of a 9800GT since it's relatively the same price and performs better.

TheViper

Distinguished
I believe the 9800 GT outperforms the HD 3870. If you want an ATi 9800 Gt competitor, try the HD 4830 instead.

Hmmm, just checked and the prices on the HD 4830 have increased way beyond what they should be. You can get an HD 4850 for cheaper.

Well, the 9800 GT will run about $95 and I'm seeing rebates down to $80. An HD 4850 can be found for $109.