Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not boot, no display, no dvd,cd, hard drive response

Last response: in Motherboards
April 23, 2010 7:02:32 PM

I had a ASUS K8S-LA motherboard in my Emachine and thought I fried it because I had tried to update memory and put the wrong memory in. Then computer would no longer power up. So, I ordered a new power supply of 500 watts for ATX. That didn't work so I ordered a new motherboard. I received a replacement which is a micro ATX. Still no boot up, but I did get power. I replaced the CPU also. And also had to upgrade the video card to a PCIe to fit new motherboard. Fans come on, mouse lights up, but hard drive doesn't boot, CD/DVD has no power and monitor is in safe power mode. What did I do wrong?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 7:44:53 PM

I'm curious... How do you know that the hard drive doesn't boot if you don't have display on your monitor?

First, I would double check to see that the 4/8-pin ATX plug is connected; it plugs in near the CPU. This one is often forgotten.

Also double check to see that you've connected the power to the video card (if required).

Next, try using just one RAM module at a time. Bad RAM can prevent display.

If the above mentioned suggestions offer no help, try doing a breadboard build. This is accomplished by:

1. Removing the motherboard from the case.
2. Placing the motherboard on a non-conductive source (such as wood, cardboard, etc)
3. Connect the PSU (remove it from the case if need be)
4. Connect one RAM module (follow the configuration in your manual)
5. Connect the video card and monitor
6. Use a flathead screwdriver to jump the power switch pins on the motherboard.

Do you have display?
April 23, 2010 9:18:20 PM

OK, SO I FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT. NO THE 4 PIN WAS NOT CONNECTED....BUT IT IS NOW! However, still no display, no CD, but looks like it is trying to boot from DVD now because I keep hearing a noise at the DVD player and see the light flash on and off. The reason I did not feel that the system was booting, even with no display, is because normally I could hear the system booting up. All I can hear right now is fans and the DVD drive. Even with just one RAM module at a time, the system does not boot at this time.

I have not tried the breadboard build yet. I guess I will continue on to that step now. What exactly will happen when I do this?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 9:25:03 PM

Breadboarding is usually the first thing a lot of experienced builders would do. Simply because it is faster and easier to test for dead on arrival parts while the mobo is out of the case.

What will happen is that you will be able to turn on your computer with out the need for the case. Basically you are testing for shorts and adequate power.

Power comes into play here because if you don't have sufficient power to power up the GPU + mobo, chances are you won't get a display. Similarly with a short, the only difference would be that your PSU is adequate, but the power is not getting to the components, hence the term "short".

Follow the above mentioned steps and report back with results.

Good luck.
!