bwhiten

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I have been running my new SSD (Crucial M4, 128GB) with clean install of Win 7 for a few days and am very happy so far. During the clean install I had to updaye my Norton Security Suite, that I get free as part of my Comcast cable subscription. I happened to open that tonight to see what was new and noticed the PC Tuneup was enabled. I read up a little about that feature and became concerned. One of it's features is the Disk Optimization, which was enabled. Apparently that does something similar to a drive defrag in real time. I immediately disabled that feature as Never Run. I am not sure it has run or would have run on the SSD but I am not taking any chances. If you are running Norton with an SSD please have a look at this feature and tell me if I over reacted :)

Solution
I do not know anything about Norton security products. I have been using Iolo System Mechanic Pro for about 7 years now. The newest version now comes with utilities for ssd's, including tuneup, cleanup, and disk optimization. Therefore, I suggest you check the Norton web site or contact Norton to find out if their pc tuneup and disk optimization is safe for ssd's.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

EDIT - I just checked System Mechanic Pro. It comes with two "drive accelerators" - one is the standard disk defragmention for hard disk drives and the second is for ssd's with special optimzation technology. I can chose which one to use manually or the utility can automatically detect the type of drive and select the correct optimization.
I do not know anything about Norton security products. I have been using Iolo System Mechanic Pro for about 7 years now. The newest version now comes with utilities for ssd's, including tuneup, cleanup, and disk optimization. Therefore, I suggest you check the Norton web site or contact Norton to find out if their pc tuneup and disk optimization is safe for ssd's.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

EDIT - I just checked System Mechanic Pro. It comes with two "drive accelerators" - one is the standard disk defragmention for hard disk drives and the second is for ssd's with special optimzation technology. I can chose which one to use manually or the utility can automatically detect the type of drive and select the correct optimization.

Solution

bwhiten

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Today I found at least one other forum topic about this, on another site. There was no proof it was causing a problem but just the idea it would do defragging real time "feels" scary. Is there a tool available for reporting the number of writes an SSD has taken? Maybe the SSD vendors supply this?