Can I transfer my windows 7 hard disk to a new computer?

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
You can try. Remove all the old drivers first and then transfer it and then load in the new mb drivers etc. give it a try. I have done it with XP pro before.....if it does not work just do a clean install.

DeeTee_uk

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
You might not have to completely reinstall if it crashes. If it crashes at boot, just as you see the Windows screen, you might just have to repair the installation. To do this, boot from the Windows disc as with a reinstall, and then choose "Repair".
I had to do this after upgrading most of the parts of my pc. Basically, the pc is booting up, Windows is looking for the old components, and getting very confused at finding the new. Hope this helps, good luck.

Irvine

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Can I transfer my windows 7 hard disk to a new computer?
for sure...
JackNaylorPE said the way, but there is a necessity to reinstall the system. a little bit complexed.
i have another two ways,,, 1) clone the hard disk your system partition locates, like disk copy
,,2) a function named as universal restore. it means you can restore your system to dissimilar hardware. i found acronis true image and eaues todo backup could do this work. The only difference is that universal restore of true image seems to be extra paid, even if you purchase true image, and todo backup is in-built this function.
just find which one is better for u. good luck