aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hi,
My case won't turn on from the power button now, so I have to turn it on from my motherboard, and it gets kind of tedious... : :eek: anyways I was just wondering if its bad for my SSD to Hibernate or Sleep my computer so I don't have to go through my computer to turn it on again?

I have TRIM enabled and I followed this guide : http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

I just don't want my SSD space to get wasted and also the life drain on my SSD, I just want what's best, any advice/suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Hibernate, no. Because hibernation writes to the drive. It's not as bad as you might think but it's still discouraged.... it's also kinda pointless on a desktop with an SSD, as boot times are fast anyway.

Sleep, yes. That just saves to memory.

If your power button is broke try connecting your reset button to the power button connectors. It should work. Or buy a switch.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
carefully bend it back then.

to maximize SSD life you want to minimize writes to it.
sleep/standby works by turning nearly everything off in your computer except keeping power flowing to the RAM thereby keeping you computer in state. sleep makes minimal writes to the drive.
hibernate (also called bybrid sleep) works similarily except instead of keeping RAM powered it copies everything in RAM to the drive so it can fully power down the copies that data back onto the RAM when resuming. this writes the entire contents of your RAM to the SSD everytime you hibernate. if you have 8G RAM then you're writing up to 8G to your SSD everytime.

the best thing you can do to save both power and drive wear is to fully shut down, and with boot times on a SSD that's not much of an inconvenience anyway.

One trick is a ball point pen or such. Take out the ink and use the case of the pen, to slide over the pin and bend it back.

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

I'll try that thanks, but even if it is one pine bent wlouldn't the plug still be tight on there?