Sign in with
Your question

Sleep or Hibernate SSD

Last response: in Storage
September 15, 2011 4:54:45 AM

Hi,
My case won't turn on from the power button now, so I have to turn it on from my motherboard, and it gets kind of tedious... : :o  anyways I was just wondering if its bad for my SSD to Hibernate or Sleep my computer so I don't have to go through my computer to turn it on again?

I have TRIM enabled and I followed this guide : http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...

I just don't want my SSD space to get wasted and also the life drain on my SSD, I just want what's best, any advice/suggestions?

Thanks,
John

More about : sleep hibernate ssd

September 15, 2011 5:29:57 AM

Hibernate, no. Because hibernation writes to the drive. It's not as bad as you might think but it's still discouraged.... it's also kinda pointless on a desktop with an SSD, as boot times are fast anyway.

Sleep, yes. That just saves to memory.

If your power button is broke try connecting your reset button to the power button connectors. It should work. Or buy a switch.
m
l
September 15, 2011 2:52:59 PM

My power button isn't broken, one of the golden pins is bent on the motherboard where you hook in the case power plug.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 15, 2011 4:01:59 PM

carefully bend it back then.

to maximize SSD life you want to minimize writes to it.
sleep/standby works by turning nearly everything off in your computer except keeping power flowing to the RAM thereby keeping you computer in state. sleep makes minimal writes to the drive.
hibernate (also called bybrid sleep) works similarily except instead of keeping RAM powered it copies everything in RAM to the drive so it can fully power down the copies that data back onto the RAM when resuming. this writes the entire contents of your RAM to the SSD everytime you hibernate. if you have 8G RAM then you're writing up to 8G to your SSD everytime.

the best thing you can do to save both power and drive wear is to fully shut down, and with boot times on a SSD that's not much of an inconvenience anyway.
m
l
September 15, 2011 8:20:26 PM

aajohnny said:
My power button isn't broken, one of the golden pins is bent on the motherboard where you hook in the case power plug.

One trick is a ball point pen or such. Take out the ink and use the case of the pen, to slide over the pin and bend it back.
m
l
September 15, 2011 8:51:14 PM

Proximon said:
One trick is a ball point pen or such. Take out the ink and use the case of the pen, to slide over the pin and bend it back.

I'll try that thanks, but even if it is one pine bent wlouldn't the plug still be tight on there?
m
l
September 15, 2011 8:53:09 PM

I don't understand your question.
m
l
September 15, 2011 11:32:39 PM

Sorry, nevermind, i'll just try what you said :) 
m
l
!