Toshiba Satellite 1700-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've got Toshiba Satellite 1700-200 with ethernet port which I've been
trying to make work for a while. There were win2000 drivers on the
toshiba's page, which are imposible to see under the "have disc" window with
"add new hardware"; there is no way to have the system detected the lan-card
at all. What's strange; I have't seen anything about the lan card in the
manual or anywhere else though a laptop was bought from Toshiba's dealer few
years ago... Looking for tips.

Many of those models (1700 series) had the wiring for internal lan cards
(e.g. had an RJ-45 port on the back) but did NOT actually have the card
-- the wire from the lan port went to a connector inside the unit that
was not actually plugged into anything at all. Perhaps you are trying
to activate a port that you really don't have (at all).

The plan was to use a mini-PCI card for modem and LAN, but many of these
units have only a mini-PCI modem (no LAN). You could change the
mini-PCI card. 2805's (which are much better computers) used a
modem/lan mini-PCI card.