Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Squeeze all the use of my 8GB of DDR2 RAM out or just upgrade?

Last response: in Memory
April 24, 2010 12:10:35 AM

I've got an older Intel 775 motherboard that's jam packed with DDR 2 Ram and a dual core CPU. I'm thinking of the various upgrade paths I can do but after putting so much money into RAM it's hard to part with the DDR 2 stuff for the DDR 3.

I do a lot of animation and motion graphics, no gaming to mention and the amount of RAM is more important than the speed. While the idea of paying $2K plus for a top-tier workstation with the i7 Hex-Core and 12GB of RAM is really nice to think of, the dent in the budget hurts and if I can shave some of that off that would rock. The idea of buying an AMD 6 core and an AM2+ MB that can use the DDR 2 however sounds like a good compromise.

I guess the question is, is it worth it to upgrade to DDR 3 and an AMD CPU? Or would I be better off turning the old computer into more of a general use machine and give it to my mom, selling half the RAM on ebay and going whole hog into a new system?

-PDX

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 24, 2010 4:48:48 AM

Well, the Phenom II X6 will do well in fully multi-threaded applications, if the programs you use are, then I say go for an AM2+ motherboard that uses DDR2, BIOS flash it then stick a Phenom II X6 1055T or similar. Otherwise you could just try and upgrade your current CPU to an Intel Core 2 Quad, if you don't want to then just get the AMD combo - apparently the Phenom II X6 1055T or 1035T will be under $200! Consider how cheap AM2+ boards are and you've got a cheap, awesome combination.
April 24, 2010 6:45:09 PM

Lmeow said:
go for an AM2+ motherboard that uses DDR2, BIOS flash it then stick a Phenom II X6 1055T or similar. apparently the Phenom II X6 1055T or 1035T will be under $200! Consider how cheap AM2+ boards are and you've got a cheap, awesome combination.

if youre choosing asus you dont even have to flash!
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2010 9:33:05 PM

That's what I was thinking. Some if not all Adobe CS5 apps can be fully multithreaded and switching over to the new i7 6 core would just blow things away but it would also add my wallet to that casualty list. I'm definitely interested in seeing performance info for the new AMD 6 core chips and comparing it to say, a Q9550. Renders are getting a bit painful to watch :) . Thanks!
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:33:16 PM

Best answer selected by PDXGFX.
m
l
!