Sign in with
Your question

Please Help!!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 6, 2009 3:27:02 AM

I fried a mother board somehow I hooked up a HD4890 to a 32bit pentium board and when I couldn't load the drivers I shut down and swaped back to the HD4650 and then I started getting four tones high pitch, low pitch, high pitch, low pitch then shutdown. the board is from a gatway 506gr. I've got a new board and all the fixins minus processor that comes next week. I didn't want to throw the old board away so if these tones tell you somthing please share.

More about : question

a c 199 V Motherboard
November 6, 2009 4:20:47 AM

terribleteee said:
I fried a mother board somehow I hooked up a HD4890 to a 32bit pentium board and when I couldn't load the drivers I shut down and swaped back to the HD4650 and then I started getting four tones high pitch, low pitch, high pitch, low pitch then shutdown. the board is from a gatway 506gr. I've got a new board and all the fixins minus processor that comes next week. I didn't want to throw the old board away so if these tones tell you somthing please share.

Its not a 32 bit board. It has a 915 chipset and that will support 64bit processors ( P4 6xx series at least )

The board has a PCI Express slot.......no reason it shouldnt have worked.

All I could find on Gateway error codes was here http://computer-firstaid-services.com/bios.html#Error_C...

Try reseating your memory.

Do you have a PSU that can handle the 4890? It needs way more amps than the 4650.

Motherboard may be fried. Were you careful about static electricity?

m
l
November 6, 2009 3:54:00 PM

I have a 900w PS and I was wearing a bonding strap working barefoot on a tile floor I don't think it was static electricity or power issues. It was confusing with the 4890 physicaly installed it reset the screen resolution to ultra low, and both screens matched. I removed to card because the drivers wouldn't install. I'll try reseating the memory and I'm gonna swap components to see if I can isolate a component other than the motherboard or pcu. thanx for the advice man.
m
l
!