Can litepower 700w run 5770 and q9400

arashiano

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
can the thermaltake litepower 700w supply enough power to ati radeon 5770 and quad core q9400. and how long will it last without me buying another psu for the same system?

thanks.

Solution
52 amps is 624 watts, a psu with a max continous output of 600 watts can't do that and survive.
Yes, the hotter it get's the less power it will be able to provide, don't know the derating curve for it though.
Peak output can only be sustained for short periods ( think seconds ) at a time.
600 watts is still much more than enough power for the components you gave us.

arashiano

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

Ye i heard that 500w is enough but my litepower 500w had framerate loss so i figured i had to buy a higher watt power supply. do you know why toughpower gives the same watts and is the same brand but costs alot more.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Paying more for a PSU could give a number of possible things, better components and hence better quality of supply, it could be better efficiency, it could be better cable management, better design in case of a failure to reuce risk to the rest of your components. 700W should be plenty for a normal 1 graphics card system, even 500W should be adequate but maybe not so much headroom for future expansion - there are plenty of online calculators (google them). I would avoid buying a budget PSU, and would definitely look for one that is at least 80% efficient if not higher. I haven't had a chance to look up that thermaltake PSU so won't comment. I bought my thermaltake TR2 PSU before I knew any better and I have since read it is only 50% efficient at load which is pretty bad, and it was by no means the cheapest PSU in the store..

arashiano

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
ye i have looked at alot of calculators and all say it is enough but they dont say the 12v rail requirement. i asked intel what the q9400 needed and they said it need 52 amps in the 12v rail which i dont think is right.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I would say that's intel covering their @rse and taking a punt at what you might reasonably have else in the system. Power = volts x amps so if what you've quoted intel as saying is true the power for the Q9400 uses would be 12 * 52 = 624W - which we know is not true for the chip alone. So they are saying that they would spec probably a 650+W PSU for a system using a q9400 to be safe, but they may well be considering a XFire or SLI solution.

Only you will know what you are using and what you may use in the future.

Also only you will know how much you can affrod and how much you want piece of mind. Don't forget that if your PC is on 24/7 spending more on a better PSU with more efficiency could quickly pay back over a cheaper one in energy bills, again some maths that only you can do!

It's a discontinued model ( can't be found on Tt's site ) with a 65%+ efficiency rating and not really a 700 watt unit.
Combined output on the 12v is about 39 amps based on 5v and 3.3v combined max output ( may be capable of a little more on the 12v )
Specs here
It should do, for how long is anybody's guess.

arashiano

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
well based on the specs i saw and the one you linked they both say that there is a +12v1 and a +12v2. +12v1 has a max output current of 30amps and +12v2 has 22amps. so does that mean the 12v rail has 52 amps?

and the operating temperature says 5C - +25C and the power supply is probably alot hotter than that so does that mean it becomes weaker.

Oh and what is the difference between peak output capacity and max output capacity?

Sorry i keep asking questions i am a bit confused and new to these stuff.

52 amps is 624 watts, a psu with a max continous output of 600 watts can't do that and survive.
Yes, the hotter it get's the less power it will be able to provide, don't know the derating curve for it though.
Peak output can only be sustained for short periods ( think seconds ) at a time.
600 watts is still much more than enough power for the components you gave us.

Solution

arashiano

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
so the max output is the continous current it will provide without getting damaged and the peak output is the highest it can provide at a short time before shutting itself off. Am i right?