Sign in with
Your question

Can i overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 27, 2012 2:09:23 PM

hi im a beginner whit computters an i would like to know if i can overclock my Processor. I have searched for some time and i cant find any information about if its possible to overclock it.

my pc is a hp pavilion p6-2020sc

Processor: AMD A8-3800 2.4 GHz

The chipset: AMD Hudson-D2 FCH

RAM: 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA II

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6570, 2 GB

motherboard: dont know :/ 

More about : overclock

a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2012 3:20:42 PM

It is unlikely. HP, Compaq, Gateway, et. al., do not provide BIOSes with the options you would need to overclock their systems. When you think about it, it makes business sense for them because 1) overclocking those systems would result in voiding the warranties, and would likely result in a lot of Return Merchandise Authorizations (RMAs) when people damaged the components, and 2) most people who buy their systems are looking for systems that work out-of-the-box with standard software.
February 27, 2012 4:04:09 PM

treefrog07 said:
It is unlikely. HP, Compaq, Gateway, et. al., do not provide BIOSes with the options you would need to overclock their systems. When you think about it, it makes business sense for them because 1) overclocking those systems would result in voiding the warranties, and would likely result in a lot of Return Merchandise Authorizations (RMAs) when people damaged the components, and 2) most people who buy their systems are looking for systems that work out-of-the-box with standard software.

but i have seen that some ppl have used some kind of program insted of BIOS to overclock do you think that would work?
February 28, 2012 12:40:25 AM

Is it a 3850 or a 3870K? If it's the 3850 it has a locked multiplier and can only be OCed by increasing the FSB which also overclocks the NB, RAM, and PCIe bus. OCing the PCIe bus can cause your hard disks and USB devices to no longer be detected. If it's the 3870K it has an unlocked multiplier and you should be able to overclock if not in the BIOS then with something like AMD overdrive.

EDIT: Sorry I thought 3800 was the whole 38xx series but it is an individual model. That one has a locked multiplier like the 3850.

Found a post with someone with the same problem over at overclock.net
They are saying BIOS is locked and there is no hope of overclocking unless he can hack the BIOS somehow.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1177093/stuk-in-hp-hell

btw your motherboard is a AAHD2-hy (HOLLY) according to HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
!