D601 RED LED ON, ASUS HD4870

kenny7969

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
i m using asus hd4870 graphic card, mothers board is asus P5Q PRO, my psu is OCZ 700Waats (OCZ700MXSP) my problem is: when i palying game around 10min, me screen become black,need to do hard restart to start my pc... when the screen black , on graphic card back side LED d601(critical core power fault) was come out... but at normal using is no problem..only when playing game... can anyone teach me how to fix this promblem? this graphic just buy yesterday, cos before using HD4850 also same promblem, so i change this , but still same...

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I dont know anything about d601, .. but some basic ideas to get the thread going:
Is it overheating?
Do you have the power connectors set up correctly? rails, etc?
Did you have the PSU before this?--so you certain its not PSU?

It sounds like what happens if you're running close to capacity on your power supply -- it'll have enough juice to run everything at idle, but not under load. But 700W ought to be way more than enough for a single 4870.

I did notice that you have a modular power supply, and THAT could be the problem if you don't have all the right cables in the right places. I'm no expert on how modular PSUs work, but I've heard plenty of stories about users who were having problems with modular PSUs that should have been nowhere near capacity -- simply because the way they had the cables configured would only let it output a fraction of what it was capable of. That's where I'd start my investigation if I were you.