novicetechie

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi,

I've read bout how people clean their motherboards. Some ppl actually submerge their motherboards in cleaning liquid. But I actually just wanted to clean out the RAM slots.

I wanted to see what you guys would suggest to cleaning them.

@tm I have jsut been using compressed air to clean debris, and isopropyl alcohol (99%) to clean the contacts on the memory modules, but can I use the same alcohol onto the contacts in the slots? I was a little hesitant to do that considered the ram slots are plastic.

What do you guys suggest?

novicetechie

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I was just curious because I recently cleaned out the two sticks i mentioned before (their contacts) and they seemed pretty dirty. I assumed the dirt was on the contacts of the memory modules, so the dirt may be on the RAM slot contacts on the motherboard itself.

Idk, really. So Compressed Air suffices?

novicetechie

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
You're right. I'll stick to compressed air.

I was just concerned because I was using isopropyl alcohol to clean the ram's contacts itself. They were pretty dirty - probably dust. I was just curious if the dirt on the modules would be spread onto the ram sockets themselves, but I ran memtest and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference on the zero error result.

That and I'm a little hesitant to use isopropyl alcohol (99%) on plastic, since it might warp the plastic itself.