Old hard drive transplantation

nandook

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
So i'm planning on building a new pc and i've a question about the hard drive(s).

I'm planning to buy a new smaller hard drive just for windows and other essentials, and then use my hard drive from my old computer as "main" drive. But there is a lot on the old drive right now and i would like to keep it, so if i install windows on the new one would i just be able to boot up and play a game or watch a movie that i installed on my old computer on my old drive? If not what would be a good (and cheap) way to transfer those files?

Summary:
will my files from my old pc's hard drive still be usable in my new pc if it isn't the drive with windows on?

Well, you can still use the old hard drive and access the data files like videos, music, and documents, however you will need to reinstall all your programs & games.

If you will be using the same motherboard, your best option is to clone your old drive onto the new bigger hard drive in which case everything will remain intact. Once you determine the cloning process is successful, you can then format your old hard drive and use it for extra storage. There is a lot of good cloning software out there, just google for it. I'll start you off with clonezilla.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008

You will not be able to play a game installed on your old hard drive. You can reinstall the game and move the files over to you new hard drive. The moves should be still accessable and playable. I use Windows Media Center under Windows 7 and can play movies that were recorded under Windows Vista. The file format changed from Windows Vista to Windows 7.