Sign in with
Your question

SSD/HDD Config with BSODs

Last response: in Storage
September 15, 2011 6:05:36 PM

Hello, all--

I recently built a new computer (3 or so weeks ago), and I installed an SSD on it:

OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC

I loaded Windows 7 fresh on the SSD, and things seemed to be running well. After confirming that there were no issues reading/writing to the SSD, I powered down the computer and added in an old HDD from a previous computer that had my personal files (docs, music, etc.) on it. Verified I could read/write to the HDD, and there didn't seem to be any problems.

It's only 3/4 weeks old, but it's blue screened 4 times--usually the KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR. The computer is not creating dump files--even though I've double and triple checked that it's configured to create dump files. Without dump files, I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot the issue--I'm pretty much just trying things I think can help--updating drivers, stuff like that. While researching these BSODs, I've seen a few threads about this BSOD being caused by having multiple hard drives.

Other than plugging the old hard drive into the computer, I didn't really do anything else when installing the HDD. Were there steps I should have taken (master/slave, etc.) when installing the new HDD? Can anyone help me out in things I may be able to try to fix this issue?

The computer runs really cool (never surpassing 40C, even under load) so I don't think it's an overheating issue...

My build:
Intel Core i5 2500k LGA 1155
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC
Not sure about the make/model of my old HDD.

More about : ssd hdd config bsods

a b G Storage
September 15, 2011 6:23:08 PM

There are a good deal of post about this drive and bsod. You may want to try updating the firmware if it isn't already on the latest one.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Ve...

Does the drive drop out after the bsod? As in you have to do a hard power down before the drive shows back up again?
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2011 6:31:50 PM

tomatthe said:
There are a good deal of post about this drive and bsod. You may want to try updating the firmware if it isn't already on the latest one.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Ve...

Does the drive drop out after the bsod? As in you have to do a hard power down before the drive shows back up again?

The computer completely freezes, so I have to do a hard power down before the computer will boot back up. When it boots back up, however, it has no problem finding any of the drives. I will try updating the firmware on the SSD...
m
l
September 15, 2011 6:37:56 PM

howardp6 said:
I went to the Microsoft website, are ther issues with your old hard drive? See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559211(v=VS.85).aspx

Thanks--this is a really helpful link. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the error status/parameter 2 code is--I'll have to write it down the next time it blue screens. It's been going pretty steadily at 5 days between BSODs, so it could be a while...

I'm relatively sure that the error code I'm getting is 0xC000009A, but that's just from memory. I'm going to do some more research based on that assumption, and if I can confirm next time it BSODs, I'll go from there. Much appreciated.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 15, 2011 6:43:47 PM

Try hitting the reset button rather then holding down the power button. If the drive isn't showing after doing the soft reset it is almost certainly a problem with the drive and your controller working together.

I've got a Corsair Force 3 120g drive sitting on a shelf useless because of the issues with the sandforce controllers and certain hardware.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 2:50:29 AM

Can u boot in to safe mode?
m
l
September 24, 2011 1:21:16 PM

tomatthe said:
Try hitting the reset button rather then holding down the power button. If the drive isn't showing after doing the soft reset it is almost certainly a problem with the drive and your controller working together.

I've got a Corsair Force 3 120g drive sitting on a shelf useless because of the issues with the sandforce controllers and certain hardware.

Welp, it started BSODing about once a day. I tried the reset button, and it appeared to have a hard time finding the SSD. It booted into an old OS on my secondary hard drive. After that, I sort of got fed up. I wiped both drives and did a clean install of Windows 7 on my SSD. It worked for about two days, then BSOD'ed. A friend took a look at my dump files, and said the blue screen was most likely caused by the "ntoskrnl.exe" program, and suggested I run the computer without my old HDD. It ran well for about two days, and then I woke up this morning to the BSOD: "A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly terminated or exited."

chkdsk doesn't register any errors on my SSD, and I stress-tested my RAM for 13 hours, no problems. I went to update the firmware on my SSD, but the installer that OCZ gives you won;t update the firmware on the primary drive. I guess I can try re-installing my HDD, throwing an OS on it (maybe something like ubuntu to save myself a Windows install?) and then trying to format the SSD that way. Sounds like a lot of work I don't feel like doing, though...
m
l
!