RadBox -- Need help

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I'm planning on making a Radiator Box, But I Have a few questions, BEFORE I EVEN START LOOKING/BUYING:

1) What kind of materials are best suited for a RadBox? Will Acrylic work? Aluminum?

2) What kind of measurements would I need to consider when getting/buying the materials ( I plan on housing: 240mm Radiator w/ 2 120mm Fans ).

Link to specific radiator/fans:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=59_457_667_671&products_id=32459]

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_69&products_id=25751 ( x2 )

I just want to be sure that I know everything there is to know BEFORE I look into it O-O

Thanks!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Wood definitely is a good material to work with...it's how I built my present case...er...if you can call it that. Askew is more of a 'presentation/bench' build.

Acrylic is picky stuff- you have to make precise cuts, you have to make the cuts with the correct tools and if you use the wrong kind of acrylic, it can easily crack or chip. I've worked with it enough to know some of these issues from making my own reservoirs and some rad mounts on several occasions.

My first choice is going to be looking at the old Pc cases I have lying around to see if I can mod one into the radbox I want, if not then it'll be wood
I would have four fans in yours, pushpull will really make that EX pay its dues, and I'm surprised you're only having the one rad, and a small one at that in there, no chance of modding it into your current case and avoiding the construction issues altogether?
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
wow, moto does think outside the box! :p

@ OP - first option, wood. they are easier to work with.
last option, acrylic. they are more of a hassle to work and you'll have those "Oh-S@$#" moments when you end up cracking/scratching or breaking the panels when working.

+1 to the "modding existing case" option, its the easier route, and if done well - that'd be your golden ticket to our WC club.

J/K you're invited automatically when you have water move over electro-sensitive parts :)

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys! What im getting is:

- Modding your case is a bit easier BUT, Just incase I decide to NOT mod my case, Acrylic is not a good idea; Wood is a more viable option

- Use 4 120mm Fans in a Push/Pull to increase performance

... :)

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

I actually sold that system that I have listed on my profile. I'm saving up for a new build, What case would you get ( within a $55-$90 Budget ) for a open loop water cooling system w/ external radiator housing?

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

I know,

I don't really mind other suggestions, I'd like to hear what other people suggest :)

Also, I'm going to go back into my basement to work on the Radiator housing. I managed to get some wood cut by my neighbor + he gave me FREE Powertools! :D

I think the metal brackets are in good, and I was waiting for the Wood filler/paste to dry.

Since you're only trying to house a 240mm read you could just buy a case in the $70-90 range that natively supports a 240 read. Cooler Master's HAF 922 and some of Corsair's cases spring to mind. On my phone so looking them up would be a pain.

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Update on my progress :)

I've been keeping myself out of trouble and working on the Top ( Looking from above ) of the RadBox, Also, I've decided that Ill be buying a 360mm Radiator and getting 6 - 120mm Fans for Push/Pull. I went to Lowe's yesterday and bought a "Fan Hole Puncher thing" for my D500 Drill ( It works really well, and amazingly its only off by a few millimeters! ).

I used MNPCTech's 240mm Radiator template and Just "Mirrored" another 120mm Fan Beside it. I stopped while editing this post to paint It black and I know the pictures are not of very high quality, The piece looks bad in the Pic. but TRUST Me, once I'm done painting it a metallic black + adding "Shiny enamel" it'll look great and the 3 120mm Fan Grills I'm buying are Black Anodized so they'll add to the look.

1006581p.jpg

WILL UPDATE LATER WHEN PAINT IS APPLIED.

ALSO:

- Does anyone know how to utilize a Switch? Like for starting fans + Indicating w/ their LED's when there active? Do I need to buy some kind of wiring and attach it to the switch somehow? :D

I plan on using these type of switches: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...duct_info&cPath=60_374_118&products_id=21772]

Your fans should be powered from the fan controller, which is powered by a (very long extension cable you buy or wire) molex from the psu, they will come on when you turn the Pc on,
You could wire in an on/off switch but its messy imo and unneccessary, same for the leds indicators, run another led from the fan to your chosen mount/display point, easy enough but no real point and a fair bit of work, you will know when your leds are on because, well they are shining a bright light hehe :)
Moto

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks moto for your response on the Switches :)

Also, the thing that your seeing isn't a crack, My Digital camera is getting outdated, and I dont know how to manipulate imported Pic's, so the result is a low quality picture :(

Its actually a tiny "crater" where I originally intended to drill, but then re-measured and quit on that particular spot.

And also to anybody that's watching/replying to the thread: This is my first time doing anything of this nature ( not computer related, rather "Construction" related; My dad has helped me with some of this stuff, but for all the dads out there, there's only so much you can do right? XD ).

EDIT: This post is in the wrong section to isn't it? An Admin can move it, if they feel its needed ( Sorry for just now realizing that! )

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

OK, I will. I'm trying not to mess ANYTHING up because the source of wood for me is...limited. This is aside from the point, but who's boiler, another user?

OHHH, I see who your referring to now! I didn't see him when I was typing that up :p

Sorry!

Also, I know you guys keep saying that making/doing all this stuff isn't really necessary, but If you understood my circumstances you wouldn't say that:

- I'm 16 and I'm getting my GED, so I don't really go-to school, so therefore I'm at home...BORED....ALOT! :p
- I have a nearly obsessive passion for PC's/Computers.
- I need to learn MYSELF, If you guys have done this sort of thing before without avail, that's great, and I like your advice. BUT I'm stubborn and have to learn that lesson for myself * Sadly * :(

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Sorry for miscommunication, It happens to me frequently o-o

Lutfij

Titan
we'll encourage you to do your work, provided you've done your homework.

i think orange also had a similar rad box build in his build log.
@ 16 yr old grady - pop over to the build logs section and look for orange(juice's build - in it you'll find the way he worked on his radbox) bigger than yours but still same concept.

* keep doing it, though i'm still saying if you need to go all this way when you could take that rad into the case :)

You guys been talkin' about me? ;)

Going for a 360 rad is a better choice, since you're going external anyway. Plus, you could leave room for another if you plan on expanding at some point. Koolance's quick disconnect fittings work surprisingly well (their newest ones at least).